6 Weeks Post Op

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello!

I'm desperately trying to find out if having pain 6 weeks after my TKR is not uncommon. I'm having a lot if pain and bending the knee. I'm still taking pain meds, especially at night. I'm in quit a bit of pain after going out for awhile. My knee is tight and I think that's normal, right?

Some of my PT exercises I can do really well and others, especially working on ROM is difficult.

Is any of this normal?? I feel really discouraged at this point. Any help is appreciated.

2 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm still battling it and I'm 8 weeks post op. I finally have my extension, which is still painful. I'm working on bending. My component was meant to bend up to 125 easily. I'm at 121, but it's still painful as well. Doesn't seem like one fluent motion.

• Posted

Sorry to hear your in pain as well. Bending is one of my weakest thing to do.

Thank you for letting me know it's not all in my mind, ha!

• Posted

Pain at 6 weeks? Your bones were cut and a mechanical device was inserted. Yes, sorry to say, but pain and discomfort might be experienced by you for another few months. Read posts here on this forum and ask your medico if you are truly concerned.
    • Posted

I know, I know..friends keep reminding me of what I've gone thru, but I feel like I should be further along. I'll see my doctor on Tuesday. Hope he's as understanding and will refill my pain meds. Although, I try and not take them except before therapy and when I feel like I really need one. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the help!

• Posted

Your doc will most likely refill your meds. My surgery was end of November 2016....I had refills til February. You will find that you need them less and less. Sometimes I would only take one pill instead of two.....and definitely two before physio!!! Keep icing. It will get better.
  • Posted

I am just coming up to six weeks on a PKR and need some kind of pain killers every day. Although the pain was easing at five weeks I had horrendous pain and don't know why. Back to full pain killers until it settles. Cannot do knee bending without. Yes it hurts but less and less the more range I get. I am at 118 degree bend so still a way to go. Good luck 

• Posted

Sounds so familiar sad

I have an appointment tomorrow so we shall see what he says/does.

Hope you feel better soon!!!

• Posted

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. My surgeons appointment for 6 weeks post op is on Wednesday. It will be interesting to hear if he back tracks on his views of my recovery.  A bit fed up of taking pain medication as well as the pain - as are you.

keep in touch.

• Posted

I'm a little nervous as to what my Dr will say.

I just hope he more understand than critical.

Good luck with your appointment as well.

Let me know how it goes!

• Posted

Remind him that its his responsibility to listen and help you
  • Posted

😊 Yes, Dont worry! Is it possible you are doing too much?

It is early days, just a ten minute walk is a lot to do.

With the exercises and jy st self care, that is often pretty much it for a lot of people at this stage.

You are doing brilliantly. It is hard to accept limitations and TKR is a hugh challenge! It is early days. Your body been through major trauma and it is reacting normally. You will need to be very patient with your knee and with yourself. Be resolved to be kind to yourself and your knee. It is not about achievement but allowance. Easy to get anxious about the slow pace of things, and fear the worst, whatever the worst might be for an individual person.

Take a peek at my profile by going to the image by by name. I have devoted one of the pages to my own story. I spent a lot of time expressing my own frustrations and struggles as well as sharing useful information and ideas. Writing helped.

A large part of the challenge of a TKR is emotional and psychological. My blog is a long read! Skim reading definately recommended! It is just one patient account of TKR on the internet, there are many others. Remember, everyone's experience is different. Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Thanks Jenny!

I read some of your blog and really enjoyed it. Quite a bit of helpful information! I will be reading it often.

Thank you again for your help!

• Posted

Thank you! It gave me something to focus on as I couldnt do much else! Glad it was helpful!

Maybe keep a note of your own progress...just those little things which will happen will encourage you along the way!

• Posted

Welcome to the REAL world, Kneebie...should have taken the "blue pill"...

You have just started your journey of a thousand (oops...thousands) of steps.  Relax...this will take a year.  There are advances, setbacks and plateaus (the worst).  Most people are on the heavy duty narcotics for 30-60 days and then titrate down to Tramadol and Ibuprofen.  Some take longer...it's all very individual.

Take the meds as long as you need them.  Try a dose before PT...helps many.  Just don't drive on opioids.

• Posted

Yes, I've experienced some set backs as well. Good to know it's not uncommon. I felt pretty good a couple weeks ago and now I feel almost to where I started, well, not quite that bad!

Thank you for your help!

• Posted

Thanks for the information Chico. At six weeks post partial I am still taking Tramadol but not as much. I keep trying to drop to over the counter stuff but it doesn't help, particularly before exercise. It's comforting to know I am not on my own.

• Posted

Don't rush it or beat yourself up about it.  Everything will be fine...just give it more time.  There are no timetables.  Treat yourself well, do the work, it will all happen for you...

• Posted

Thanks Chico I appreciate the support. It is a good job I stumbled on this forum otherwise its a bewildering lonely business.
    • Posted

It really can get lonely when you think you're the only one going through this but it turns out that virtually everything we all go through is both common and normal.  People start getting depressed from two things: 1. unrealistic expectations because they made things up in their heads, compare themselves to unusual patients who recover quickly, or are given completely wrong information; and 2. patients are never informed about Post-Operative Depression which is very common in people who have had part of their original body removed (knee, hip, shoulder, heart, etc.).  Docs NEVER talk about it but POD is very normal.  The good thing is that it's in your head and you don't need anti-depressants to kick it out the door.  Jedi Mind Trick.  Stay strong...

"Never give up.  Never surrender." - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

I TOTALLY agree with your comment. I've expressed the same frustration about no info given regarding post op.

Fortunately I have a good friend that is a nurse and has had both TKR and PKR.

Like Tricia, I appreciate the support

This forum has been so helpful.

• Posted

Click on my picture and then "See All Discussions"...I've got a lot of Discussions out there.  Check on OldFatGuy1...he's another great member.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.