6 Weeks Post Op

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello!

I'm desperately trying to find out if having pain 6 weeks after my TKR is not uncommon. I'm having a lot if pain and bending the knee. I'm still taking pain meds, especially at night. I'm in quit a bit of pain after going out for awhile. My knee is tight and I think that's normal, right?

Some of my PT exercises I can do really well and others, especially working on ROM is difficult.

Is any of this normal?? I feel really discouraged at this point. Any help is appreciated.

2 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Everything you describe is perfectly normal. It can take a year to start feeling normal. I took my pain meds for almost 3mths. Less during the last month, but still needed them sometimes. Just keep doing your exercises. Don't over do it. And ICE packs will help a LOT!!! It was like a life preserver to me at times. It will get better as time goes on. Stay positive!!

• Posted

Yes, LOVE my ice wrap! It's been such a huge help!

I had gotten to where I wasn't taking the pain meds but maybe a couple times a day and now I'm find I'm needing them more often. Maybe i am over doing and just don't realize it till it's too late.

Thank you for your help!!

• Posted

Hi Gerianne good to hear your experience as well. I am 6 weeks tomorrow but from a partial knee so have been lead to believe everything should be better and further along than a total. I am not finding this at all I do seem to be experiencing the same problems as a total knee. I am still needing pain meds, I keep trying to stop but then find my knee throbbing especially during and after exercise. I do ice a lot as my knee is always very hot. Everyone says don't over do it. I can't get my head around what is too much. I try to do 20 reps of my exercises 3 times a day and walk a little but some days this is too much others it doesn't seem enough. 

Its good to hear you are through the other side. I will try to stay positive! I did think I had fitness and age on my side but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Upwards and onwards.

• Posted

You are doing great!! If 20 reps causes pain, cut it

down to 10 reps....

especially since you are

doing them 3 times a day. Have you tried aquafit

classes?

• Posted

Hi Gerianne my physio said not to go to the pool until after my 6 week doctor assessment which is tomorrow. Will start classes next Monday. I did them prior to surgery to try and get fit as any other exercise was too painful for the arthritis. I love it!
  • Posted

Hi Jana, you are experiencing what we have all gone through, questioning whether we should be further along and able to do more. I am 11 weeks post op and although I am now only on over the counter pain meds which I only take occasionally, I have hit a plateau with my extension and bend. My knee is quite stiff and sore at the moment and still very swollen. I do go to the pool a lot as I find the exercises easier to do in the water. Also my sleeping pattern is gone to hell and find it very hard to sleep get to sleep at night without a sleeping tablet. This I find is the biggest drawback because I am totally washed out when I don't sleep. I get great relief from walking and I also find massage on the operated knee (by myself) very good.

I think you are doing well, don't get discouraged, this takes longer than what we think and we have nothing to measure it against. Keep exercising, but don't overdo it, keep icing and you will get there. Best of luck with your recovery!!

• Posted

Thank you for the great information.

I'd forgotten to even mention the lack of sleep! I'm like you, I have to have my sleep!

Some good tips that I'll implement, too!

Thanks again!

• Posted

The sleep will come back...I was like that too. We all have to remember that although we have new (or

partially new) knees....the surrounding structures

are "same old same old"

parts that were stressed

during our pre-op periods.

Those parts have to adjust

to having "a new kid on

the block" so to speak!!

Time everyone...that is

what we all need!!

• Posted

Thank you for the encouragement!

Did you wake up with your knee in PAIN??

I think when I do sleep it's usually on one

side and it wakes me up then I can't fall back asleep. I'm rationing my pain pills to make sure I have enough until I see the doctor. Ugh, such a process.

• Posted

I usually have no pain when I wake up. I have a little when I go to bed. If it's really bad, I take Tylenol & aspirin together. I have also discovered this stuff called "DeepRelief" ice cold pain relief gel...found it on Amazon....which I massage around my knee. It is wonderful, and helps if I overdo things, and also before bed. I manage to sleep on both sides now...although....turning over from one side to the other is a feat in itself. Lol Time will improve your sleeping. I'm 8mths post now. I think keeping active as much as possible is also helping. Remember where you were, and how far you have come. It's "baby steps" with this surgery.

• Posted

There seems to be something about the blood pooling and building pressure. I have no professional expertise regarding this but after 111 surgeries and 5 complete rehabsive got a little of the "understanding through pain" education. Part of it may be the way you get manhandled during surgery and the tourniquet usage. My surgeon tells me he is now using a new process he refers to as "navigation". This is supposed to cut the recuperation down by about half. Still surgery, still painful but far less traumatic. Like I told him, I wasn't going to go thru another one just to help him prove his point.

• Posted

11 not 111. Hate this new formatting. I had enough trouble when I could see the entiremessage at one time. Another IT genius justifying his job without regards to the average user.
    • Posted

I have to admit, I did gasp at 111 surgeries! Glad to know it was only a mere 11!

Nonetheless, you're still knowledgeable with pain management!

• Posted

Pain meds are there for a purpose but other things are very important as well. I think people who try to get off meds too soon are often times stuck with them long term. One of the most important parts of pain management is patience.

Sometimes being old does have its virtues and next to natural birth control, learning to wait for things to happen instead of trying to make them happen is me of those.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.