6 weeks since I broke my knee cap.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Brace came off yesterday. Knee is so stiff. No insurance, can't afford pt. The surgeon showed my one stretch to do 4x a day. Getting very discouraged. I will work on the walking later. Just want my knee to bend somewhat. Any advice?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Tammy, I don't know anything about exercies for someone who's had a broken knee cap, but I've got a great booklet for exercises for someone who's had a total knee replacement. I would imagine they would be good for you too. I can't attach it here, I'd need an email address to send it. I'm not sure if there's another way.

• Posted

Hi Tammy,

I hope that your recovery is fast and easy. Go on GOOGLE and ssk your question.

Good luck

• Posted

I have bought from eBay a little peddle thing (bike with no seat or wheels ) can't get all way round yet to painful but do use it for couple minutes every day. This not only seems to help bend but also straight knee which is essential for walking. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi, Have you looked on YouTube for exercises? That's been really helpful following my tkr. Hope you find something. Wishing you a speedy recovery x
  • Posted

Hi Tammy,

I can imagine how frustrated you must be feeling, just remember, you had a broken bone! No small thing.

Slowly and gently, you will get there.

You need wrap round ice packs, for after excersice, put on your knee for 20 mins, then back in freezer.

Sit on a high stool, legs off the ground, and slowly swing your leg back and forth, build up the time as days go by.

Stand in front of your work top in the kitchen, hold on with both hands, slowly do a mini squat, only part way down, and slowly back up.

raise up on your toes and hold, slowly go back down.

Raise your bad knee behind you, slowly, it doesn't matter if it's just a few inches at first, and hold, then slowly back down.

Turn side on to the worktop, one leg in front of the other, and slowly bend the front one while keeping the back leg straight, lean forwards, and slowly back. Change legs and repeat.

Do all these excersices in repetitions of 10, three times daily.

When you are able to do this easily increase the number.

You HAVE to stick to this and do every day.

These are PT excersices, and will unstiffen your knee,mouth you have to be committed and do them every day.

Use ice and take painkillers, you can make yourself better, believe me I've been there and done it with both knees.

When you get more mobile come back and tell us :-)

• Posted

Thank you for the confidence and the different exercises to try. This is so frustrating. I know it will take time but I want to go!
    • Posted

Once you accept the fact that it will take a while to strengthen your knee, time will go by and you'll start to feel better.

Don't try to rush it, just take it a day at a time.

• Posted

Hi Tammy what a bummer re PT I just thought I would say that I have found YouTube videos on exercises for TKR so maybe there are some for your problem, worth a search I'd say, good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.