6 weeks Surgeon check-up Post Revision. Great News!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Yesterday was my 6 week check-up with my new surgeon after my left TKR revision, & a whole year of pain & stiffness. What a brilliant man he is! He doesn't measure bends etc, he saw me sitting, watched me walk, got me to put my legs up & down, took me to a different room to see my x-rays, all the time watching how I walked & stood, & then told me too much pressure is put on getting to "goals", so never insists patients are at a certain stage - just lets them get on with it. He was VERY pleased with me, told me to ditch crutches outside as soon as I felt confident, (again, my choice) gave permission for me to drive again - in fact, because I really do feel & look so much better, I could see on his face how pleased he was with his handiwork. I saw on the x-rays how deep the revision prosthesis is in the tibia & femur, the false "ligaments" are actually one post, joining the two together. He pointed out my re-coated (again!) kneecap. I don't have the same horrendous pain re cut & re-stitched tendons & muscles, but he assured me it all had to be cut again, so I am putting it down to his skill. All in all, at just 6 weeks, time to celebrate. Did I say he is also extremely good looking - if only I wasn't old enough to be his mother..............................!!!!!

Those of you who are thinking of revisions, all I can say is - go for it. We are just statistics in that little box on the consent papers we all signed, so many TKR's are not perfect, but you do not have to live with it.

Merry Christmas one & all.

1 like, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

well done veronica so pleased for you and yes it looks like you got a great surgeon there .your life is back great news  im 15 mths post revision im doing ok but the leg is sooo weak im tying weights to my leg and trying to get strenght back into it so like you say it takes everybody different times to get back to normal life happy xmas to you and your revision  x
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

He was great yesterday. Said nothing could hurt it now, & to go at my own pace. He noted I stood with the weight on the unoperated side, so told me to place my weight equally - if I felt I need a crutch then to use it, if I didn't, then don't. The physio had told me not to put bio-oil on the scar yet, as it's very purple, but he said "go for it - I'm your surgeon, & I say it's Ok"!! He told me to be hard with it, & not weak & mild. He is very inspiring, he also told me not to drop the meds yet, as it IS only 6 weeks, but not take them now at regular times, but when I actually felt in pain, or that I needed them. I took some at 10.30pm last night, ( to help me sleep, & I sleept for 7 hours) then today, at 1.30pm, so I am very pleased that I am dropping the higher doses off. Hope yours improves day by day, it is such a drawnout time for us all!! Enjoy Christmas, & I so hope 2016 is the year we all turn corners!!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Veronica I haven't been on this forum for a few months now, but so pleased to read of your progress. Ihaveput off my second TKR for a year now and think I will put it off for another year. Just the thought of going through all that again....

How did you manage to find such a good surgeon? I had one - young and good looking like yours - for my hip but he moved away before I got my knee done. I barely even knew I'd had hip surgery so it was a terrible shock when he said he was leaving, just 1 month before my knee surgery was due to be done.

Anyway, hope all is still going well for you!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello Joan - yes, the revision has gone better than I expected - I thought life was over as I had previously known it! I'm now at 13 weeks - I only needed 2 physio sessions (lets face it, after a year with the "bad" TKR - I knew what to do!), I reached 135 degress, with 0 straightening in the first 4 weeks. I have struggled with stairs, but can now go up OK, coming down is still hard, but I am slowly building up the quad muscles (which you really need for stairs) after a year of no use! In fact, I can do most things now & have no pain, so it really has been a success. I'm still massaging bio oil in, as it's not a pretty sight - the scar is an inch longer at each end for them to go in & do the revision - & it's still stiff after sitting etc, & I still suffer with swelling if I walk for a distance,  but if I compare how I am at 13 weeks with how I was last year, there is no comparison. This new surgeon has offered to do the other knee, but no 2 knees are the same, & now I really understand the failure rate (about 7 in every 100, but not everyone gets a revision - a lot are expected to live with it) - I am too scared to give the go ahead! I think I can live with it!

How did I find this surgeon? The 1st surgeon recommended him! I thought they were in cahoots & was really worried, but it has turned out to be the only decent thing the 1st surgeon did!

Have a wonderful 2016, & stay in toouch! - Veronica

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up