6 wks after surgery on left hand

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,, I have just had fibre glass cast removed after four weeks, had a plaster cast for first two weeks.  No arthritic pain but my hand is very stiff from being in cast and I have to do physio and be really careful not to use the thumb for next six weeks - well I just couldnt bear the cast any more. I could remove it to wash my hand and cream it but the cast began to drive me crazy.  I feel so free now, probably shouldnt be typing!!   Ooops.  cry   I also had  my right hand injected with cortisone 10 days ago and that is wonderfully pain free now - but I wont go for surgery on that until next year.  6 weeks without driving or doing anything.  Off work a well.  Gosh I hope I don;t injure it now until it is completely healed.  The scar is amazing - hardly visible at all.  

I am glad I had it done because I couldnt do anything before and the painkillers are so damaging for the liver.  

Surgery was no problem, I had a bit of a reaction to the anaesthetic but got over it.  Thank God for surgeons.  Now better stop typing.  I'm in Ireland by the way.   

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Reading your post gives me hope, I've had injections, but unfortunately not successfully, so it looks as if I might end up with surgery.

As you say, thank God for surgeons.  Take it easy and don't overdo things x

• Posted

Thanks Sukes, Actually I misunderstood about taking off fibre glass   cast completely and am just supposed to take off  for breaks during th e day.  I tried driving yesterday but it was too early - we mostly drive stick shift here and that was impossible.  I hope it continues to improve.  Regards......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.