6 wks post TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone|

First thank you for all the great information that you all share here.  It has truly kept me sane these past few weeks.  I am going to physio 3 times a week and it is helping.  Got 116 degrees of bend on Friday and they asked me to go back on the bike after physio to see is I could go all the way backwards which I did three times.  When I exercised four hours later at home tried to go backwards which I did but the pain was 100 times worse than when I was at physio and I swear something "popped". Since then I've developed a slight bruise on the left of my scar and my leg is tight and swollen.  Anybody have any thoughts on what I may have done???

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Helen, sorry I can't help with the popping sensation, but it seems to me that you just might have overdone the excercising. My surgeon told me not to excercise at all on the days I go to physio or hydrotherapy, as these sessions are usually enough if you're working really hard at it. I don't know when your tkr was, and that would certainly have a bearing on the amount of damage you could do, but the swelling certainly sounds like the times I've done too much and suffered for it afterwards. It seems as though you might have been on a bit of a high after doing so well at physio, especially after trying something new, and just wanted to keep going. Rest and massage might be the best course of action for now, but if you're worried, then talk to your doc asap.

Best of luck,

Denise from Oz

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Duh, just saw you're at the 6 week mark - I should have seen that before. Still a lot of healing going on inside. The ligament directly above your knee takes a very long time to heal, so if that's where some of the pain is, it could be worth seeing your GP or popping into ER to set your mind at rest. And remember to take it easy.

Denise from Oz

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Helen you're doing brilliantly to have a bend of 116. I agree with Denise, I think it sounds like you've over done it. I've not had a popping sound but I do get clicking or cracking of the knee a lot. Mine also swells behind the knee after physio and sometimes bruises. I asked her about this and she said it was perfectly normal due to the extra work we are doing.

If the leg doesn't feel right though I would definitely go and get it checked out. My hospital has an orthopaedic nurse in the fracture clinic and they encourage any post op people to drop in if any concerns. I know not all facilities offer this but there should be someone you can see (even if you call the ward you were on to ask). Alternatively just go to your GP. I know we always feel like we shouldn't bother people but we should get anything out of the ordinary checked for peace of mind.

A pain in the backside but it's worth making sure everything is ok. In the mean time rest, ice and drink plenty of water. Also keep on top of your medication.

Let us know how you get on x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

oooo Hek Helen that dont sound right, if I were you I would ring the physio and see what they say??? I wondered if you have torn one of your internal stitches to a vein maybe????? I dont have that suffering cos here in good old West Yorkshire theres no funding for physio lol
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

That happened to me at physio and she said it was a tendon - it took a week or so to settle, Also scar tissue popped when I did lunges. Bruising is normal even up to 10 weeks. Check with doc if concerned though. And dont overdo it - rest after physio and do it the next day. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Oh dear Helen. If you are still going to physio 3 times a week talk to them about what has happened. I had TKR 3 years ago and you certainly seem to be a lot further ahead than I was at your stage It is a slow process.

However, now it is like having my life back, no other way to describe it.

Keep up the good work, it does get better I promise.

Love Sarah xxx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you all for your advice.  Going to physio this morning.  Will let you know what the outcome is. Thanks again
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up