6weeks on

Posted , 13 users are following.

Had hip replacement 6 weeks ago i am 67 my scar is still stiff and sore in places and muscles still hurt when i walk all looks fine but worried is this normal

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hiya Pauline 😊

I'm only 2 weeks post op, so can't help on your 6 weeks, but I've got the very same, stiff and sore around the scar and yep it's very early days for the both of us i would say, I'm sure there will be someone along soon with concrete advice. How much walking are you doing at 6 weeks, 🤔

Have you been ti your six week check up, don't worry I'm sure all is very normal and sounds like your doing just fine.

All the best with your recovery..😊

Stay Safe & Stay Happy 😀

Pete 😁

• Posted

Hi Pauline have you tried bio oil or similar? I was advised to massage the scar with moisturiser.

• Posted

Hi Pauline have you tried bio oil or similar? I was advised to massage the scar with moisturiser.

• Posted

hi

I'm now 18 months post thr. i had the same problem and my physio advised massaging the scar with bio oil twice a day in order to desensitise the nerves that had been severed during surgery.

i hated doing it at first as it hurt. now its fine and the bio oil has minimised the scar.

• Posted

hi

I'm now 18 months post thr. i had the same problem and my physio advised massaging the scar with bio oil twice a day in order to desensitise the nerves that had been severed during surgery.

i hated doing it at first as it hurt. now its fine and the bio oil has minimised the scar.

• Posted

I am 63 and had surgery 9 weeks ago and muscles are still a little sore in my leg when I walk. You have to build those muscles back up,which takes time. So be patient,and with exercise, and walking it will get better.

• Posted

Hi Pauline I am 62 and had my TRHR tomorrow will be 6 weeks. I am stiff, sore and still walking with walker. My surgeon said to give it 3 months and I would be walking much better. It is getting better since I stretch more, flexions and I just walk more to strengthen the area. My hands, arms and wrist hurts from using walker so I am praying soon to put those devices down using them only when I go out. We just have to be patient and it is going to be ok. We have endured so much pain and discomfort pushing ourselves. I am praying for you and just keep positive thoughts and you will prevail.

• Posted

hi Pauline I'm now in eighth week and yes it does heal, I had the same problem I can now lay on the operated side it just takes time and patience, good luck with your recovery.😊

• Posted

I am 11 weeks post-revision ay 66 yrs, and have been rubbing it with bio oil .... this is my third hip operation on my left leg.

Bio Oil is the recommended thing to use, and does seem to work as my 3 year old scar from the original THR is barely noticable.

I have a 'dead' area between my scars following the last operation, and the oil is helping to restore feeling already.

• Posted

Thanks Rocketman I am going to try bio oil I am 8 weeks post op.

Dawron

• Posted

I will back Rocketman up on Bio-oil.

• Posted

Hi Pauline

I am 6.5 months post op and still feel my scar, it still tingles and gives the occasional itch. Lying on it has been no problem in bed but, when I lie on the exercise mat it still hurts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.