7.5 months on citalopram and FEELING GREAT! :D

Posted , 8 users are following.

One of the things I came on this site hoping to see was good news stories about people being treated for depression and/or anxiety as I suffered from both. . . so here's mine! 

For the last 2.5 months or so, I have felt happy, relaxed, free from panic, with practically zero anxiety and free from any negative thoughts whatsoever.  . . It's fantastic!! 

I guess it's good to remind myself of how far I have come. I plan to come off the medication in the next few months but for now I am just happy to have come so far. 

So be patient and have hope those who are just starting!! Don't forget about therapy though! I believe it was an essential element of my recovery and an invaluable tool for ensuring permanency in my stable and happy condition!! cheesygrin

Goodluck and peace out to all!!! 

Agirl xxx

4 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So pleased to hear your story of sucess on cit. I have taken for 8 weeks now much better than i was but still dont sleep well & wake feeling anxious about the day ahead how i am going to cope. Take tab at 7am by 10am feeling more in control & rest of the day. Hopefully i will continue to improve as time on tabs goes by. Thanks.
  • Posted

When did u start feeling better?
    • Posted

initially about 2 months after starting. Then I went downhill with anxiety a bit with exams coming up but then after returning to CBT became well again and felt the happiest I ever felt despite exams which really showed me I was doing very well. So about 4 or so months into treatment, I felt good without relapsing since that time. smile 
  • Posted

That's a lovely story to start the week. I'm glad to hear you're doing so well.

Best of luck for the future x

• Posted

Thanks everyone!! :D Goodluck to all!! :D x
  • Posted

Yay!   Great to read, and I ll just join you and say I'm feeling fab too! smile I'm only on week 5 of being on citalopram but this week I feel so much better and the difference is well quite staggering.  I was expecting small improvements, but nothing quite so fundamental. I feel utterly normal, relaxed and content with the world.  Amazing after so long in an angst and anxiety ridden existence.   Still got to tackle my phobia now, which I m determined to do, but it's now a phobia, an aversion,  not a terror instilling, heart attack causing activity.  Thank you citalopram. smile. Xxx
    • Posted

Welldone Chris, sounds like you've made great progress so far!! Goodluck conquering your phobia, I'm sure you can manange it! The more you talk yourself up and tell yourself that, the easier it will become. You just have to retrain your brain!! I'm sure you can manage it!! Best of luck!! :D 

Agirl x

• Posted

Thanks agirl, I meant to say I'm also waiting for my first CBT session.  There was a short waiting time (about 8 weeks) but for me that suited as I wanted to be settled on the meds before starting the CBT so 8 weeks sounds pretty perfect really.  In the meantime Ive read up on CBT and tackling panic/anxiety, and I'm sure like so many, I'd ended up doing the worst thing, which is avoidance behaviours to the point of agrophobia and that in turn has led to a low level depression.  So, feeling so much brighter now and not walking through treacle every day, Ive already started my own bit of CBT and I go out every day and drive a short distance.  I certainly don't feel anywhere near fixed on that front, but completely realise that I need to do this again and again and again to start to reset this activity as a normal stress free activity, and citalopram has certainly stopped the physical reactions I used to get, so that is fantastic.  It is about retraining isn't it, so no quick fix, but yes, I can and I will do this.  My goal, 12 months from now, Ill be throwing my weekend bag in the car and driving 200 miles to my daughter with a smile on my face and singing the whole journey xxxx. (Oh dear Lordy....that's a long way...argh!! smile LOL xxxx
    • Posted

You're doing great Chris!! Welldone you! 

All my best wishes, 

Agirl xxxxxxx cheesygrincheesygrincheesygrincheesygrincheesygrin

• Posted

How long before you started to see you  were starting to see the effects
  • Posted

Thanks for your post has given me hope x
    • Posted

Delighted to hear it! Stay strong and read my tips that I linked in a comment, they may help!! smile

Agirl xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.