7.5mg is more sedating than 30mg

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey all. I was on 30mg for one year due to anxiety. Last month I started tapering off because I hate how the med makes me feel. I'm currently down to 7.5mg each night and will be doing this for two-three weeks. For me, I've observed that 7.5mg is A LOT more sedative than 30mg! In the past when I took 30mg, it never really used to knock me out. Nothing too dramatic. But WOW - 7.5mg is very sedative! Within no more than 25 minutes of takung it, I fall onto the pillow, tired, and with a total lack of balance/coordination!

Why is this? I thought a smaller dose wouldn't have made me feel tired. What's your experience been like with this? Or, has 30mg been very sedating for you?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am currently on 15mg and that does the same to me, within 25 minutes of taking it im flat out! Even though this is what I needed it for I'm always tired during the day aswell and I have been on 30mg and it's not affected me in the same way! I also wonder why this is?
    • Posted

I'm really not sure why this is Julie! I might actually ask my doctor. Wish I knew smile
  • Posted

Hi I'm on 30mg but a couple of years ago I was on 15mg and I found out that the 15mg use to be stronger, I want to come off them all together as I don't like the way it makes me tired all day and monged out, kind regards ste
  • Posted

Hi Sappire,yes you are right, the lower the dose the more sedative it is.

Take it at night .  Take care.   By the way it's not an easy drug to come of ,so I hope you have an easy ride.

• Posted

Thank you Norma smile Have you tried coming off this drug before? What was it like for you?
    • Posted

Hi,To answer your question,I'm coming off it at the moment very slowly.

Im down to 12.5mg from 45mg,and that's took me about 7mths.I have a lot of people I've spoke to on this forum,who have now come off it and have had  great difficulty.  I was given it for IBS 6-7yrs ago,so as Im WD the Tum pain gets worse than it was before I took it.

I'll give you one word of advice,that a lot of people on here have mentioned and that's when you start WD DONT go back up ride the storm untill it settles.And take your time.

Good luck and Take Care.

• Posted

Hi Sapphire, I have been trying to come off this medication for a long time. Everytime i reduce i am hit with withdraw symptoms that become so unbearable i end up having to go back up. I did get down to 22.5 a few times and did have fair lengths of time where i was coping. Then something would change and i'd end up going back upto 30. How did you feel going down from 30 to 15, did you take it really slow? did you get any withdrawal sypmtoms and did they subside when you stuck the lower dose out. Any advice would be appreciated as i have yet to find the right way down on these tablets..wishing you well
    • Posted

Hi Craig, sorry to hear you've had such a difficult time coming off this drug. It's a shocker isn't it! What were your withdrawal symptoms like?

I suppose the process will be easier for some than others. I dropped to 15mg for two weeks, and am currently doing 7.5mg for two weeks. After that I will do 3.75mg for two weeks, then 3.75 for 6 days, then for 5 days, then 4, then 3, then 2, and so on until I'm off.

My doctor actually recommended that I take the process a lot slower, and by following his method it would take me about four months to come off the drug. But I don't want to wait that long. To be honest I'm so desperate to come off it because I'm very unhappy with my weight and how I feel. I created my own system that will allow me to come off it more quickly, and so far it's working okay for me.

I have not experienced any unbearable withdrawal symptoms. They've all been things I can control. I've noticed a few headaches, some tiredness, my usual junk food cravings, and feeling a tiny bit more anxious. If I experience more severe symptoms down the track I am quite willing to let them happen and push through them, because I just want to come off these drugs so bad. I think that with determination and willpower you will be able to come off this drug too. I hate the fact that I let myself become reliant on Mirt and that my body has been filled with an unnatural drug

• Posted

... So yeah. Just keep trying and don't give up! Remind yourself that you can get through the withdrawal symptoms, and that's all they are - withdrawal symptoms. They will not last forever! Good luck man.
    • Posted

Hi again, I think you've got the right attitude .If it's not causing you any dramatic problems,you go with what's right for you.  And yes it is a nasty drug.   I wish you all the luck in the world.  You go girl 😃
    • Posted

Thanks a lot Norma, I appreciate it smile I am experiencing som mild anxiety symptoms in certain situations such as at work. However it seems to go away after a little while and I can control it. I just need to wait it out I think. Good luck to you too.
    • Posted

Hi Sapphire

Interesting to read your story and method of WD; glad to hear it's been ok so far.  Are you using Mirt' in liquid form??

Thanks

• Posted

Hi

At 7.5 it is more sedating due to the Histamine effect and had less effect on serotonin. I took my last dose 3 weeks ago

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Wizard, thanks for the reply! Very interesting. If you don't mind me asking, what was the tapering process like for you? Did you take it super slow? Any major withdrawal symptoms?

Cheers, take care.

• Posted

Hi

Yes took it really slow over six months, I was put on mirt for sleep and anxiety problems. And that was my main withdrawal symptoms plus sore tum but not to bad. Every one is different and I no people who just stopped with no problem. It really helped me out of a bad place but felt it was the right time to come off it.

I used melatonin and Phenergan when I couldn't sleep. And calms to help my anxiety.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Good to know Wizard. Thanks, it helped a lot. Yeah I think some people have a harder time than others. For me the main problem is general feelings of anxiety during the day, but I am learning to manage them without needing this drug. I might look into taking some Magnesium because I've heard it's good for stress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.