7 and a half weeks TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi. Is anyone else out there feeling a lot of pressure concerning there job! I'm 57. And I work for a large rail company. Credit where credit is due they have been pretty good up to now. They were supportive when I was widowed twice ( I have worked for them a long time) and I have had time off for various surgery's etc. But over the years has seen change and now I being pressured into going back to my full time position . My boss was quite unpleasant on the phone. Then emailed me some tests I needed to do .now he wants me to travel up to London from my home in Bexhill. Next week To have a company medical. My consultant has signed me off til 9th April as he feels I'm not ready that my knee is not up to it yet . I personally don't feel ready. And to sit on a busy train for 2 to 3 hours each way just fills me with dismay as that will hurt! Im getting so depressed by it all. That I don't want to answer the phone. Only had 3 physio sessions. But I am progressing just at a snails pace! Still considerable discomfort at times. Maybe I should write novels ha ha. It certainly is a challenge this op isn't it!!!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am 7 wks tomorrow and work in a junior school. I told them initially I would be out until after easter hols(13 wks)but my consultant wants me to have some extra physio in a few weeks and this will be at all different times during the day which is not ideal for my job so I have said I might be off until after May holiday....I can take 6 months full pay off so am going back when I feel completely ready...don't let them bully you or you will be off again possibly longer...do you not have a union or HR you can contact
  • Posted

If I were you, I'd write a very pleasant but firm email back to your boss, and simply say.

"After taking advice from your consultant, he has strongly advised that travelling on public transport would be very unwise, in view of the short time since the operation and could lead to accident injury and or prolonged time off recovering.

Should you wish to have me examined by another consultant (not just a company doctor), then you are very welcome to visit me at home".....

"You will be pleased to advise when he gives you the ok to return to work.

Kind regards.....Blah blah.."..

• Posted

Also in my job it is illegal to contact anyone who is off sick with a sicknote...I don't know if this is law but worth finding out
  • Posted

Hi Jayne, your consultant has signed you off till 9 April. I think it is a bit unreasonable for your boss to a) put pressure and be unpleasant over the phone and b) expect you to sit on a train for 2-3 hours to attend a company medical. I suggest you call your consultant and explain what your boss has said - to ask their advice re you sitting on train /travelling on pub transport whilst you are ?nervous about damaging your knee, pain and swelling if you keep your leg down for too long, crowds, etc. Then call your boss and depending on what your consultant has said, either say you are happy to attend a company medical if it is closer to home, if they could see you at home, or if company will transport you there in taxi. Your boss will likely be following company HR policy re sickness/leave - are you able to speak to someone īn HR to ensure that both you and your boss are doing the right things? and being fair and reasonable?
  • Posted

Hi Jayne,

I posted earlier that I had been feeling down and I think mainly because of m job. To be fair my MD had not put pressure on me but I had on myself. I am a sales Director but I am mainly office based in the West Midlands 70 miles from home in the North West. I drove in a week last Thursday and again on the Monday and Thursday of the next week and it was a big mistake. I was putting myself under uneccessary pressure which in the long run had got me down until this morning and I decided to call the boss and say that I needed to slow down.

Luckily he agreed and I am working from home. Not so easy for you.

I had a good moan on the forum this morning but I'm ok now!

At 7 weeks you are still very early so don't be bullied.

Your health is more important than your job and just being unable to walk properly is a huge thing for anyone. I sure that they canno sack youand its awful that they are putting you under such pressure.

I would seek some advice but I would doubt that they can force you. The Op is a big challenge and I bet your boss would not be so unpleasant if he had gone through it.

Keep positive and good luck.

Mike

• Posted

you need more time ,  went back  after 12 weeks and now i wish i had waited but felt that i had to , im just so tired all the time and ache every where , really dnt think i did myself any favors take petes advice
  • Posted

Hi Jayne, You've come a long way by having a tkr and don't forget eveyone recovers at their own pace. Your doctor sounds quite supportive and that at this stage a 2-3 hrs journey would not be recommended. I'd have a chat with him about your situation and have it noted on file.You are actually entitled to meet the company doctor/boss on neutral ground - maybe in a local hotel, church hall etc near to where you live, especially as you've become uncomfortable answering the phone. Take someone you know with you to the meeting as your personal assistant & also make a few notes etc, especially as you'll be on pain management. Your boss sounds quite demanding, so make a few notes of his actions, including emailing you the tests,mentioning it to the company doctor/HR.Don't forget to put it in writing - email is fine. Such stresses can emotionally impede your recovery. Remember - it's still early days and you're being very positive about your recovery. if you're in a union have a chat with your rep, if not join one - it's your bit of insurance! Good Luck with your continued recovery.
  • Posted

Hi.  I agree with what Pete has written and I think you should do that.   It is very unreasonable for the company to insist on you seeing a doctor in London. Totally unacceptable.  Yiu need to look up employment law or speak to ACAS who could advise or citizens advice.  You need to do something Asaph as regards your rights.
  • Posted

Hi Jayne

Acas are absolutely brilliant for this and helped me out. You are not fit yet and this is bullying. They have absolutely no idea what this op entails. You have been signed off pure and simple. Please do not be pressured into doing yourself possible harm. I know its hard I have been there but you are not obliged to do this trip due to being signed off. Do get in touch with your doc or call Acas. You could use some support. Take care of yourself. They will not.

• Posted

Hi Jayne

I am 14 weeks from Microfracture and cartilage repair surgery and this will be my first full week back at work.  I've been finding that sitting for more than one hour makes my knee feel stiff and sore.  I am able to put the leg up onto another chair at work, but it's not really elevating it high enough and I've had to rely on instant ice packs as we have no freezer facility at the office.  

If you can phase your return to work gradually, it will probably do you more good in the long run - at 7 weeks it's more important to make sure you're keeping a regular exercise regime and focusing on getting your movement back, in my view.

I also had some pressure to return back full time earlier than I felt really ready but was able to phase my return which seems to have helped me.

Good luck!

• Posted

I agree with all replies. When I gotmy call for surgery date and told my boss that the recovery time is 8_ 12 weeks. We are required to provide a report from the surgeon to my employment hr Consultant.  And my returned to work date was 12 weeks, but at 7 weeks my boss had my HR consultant ring me up to see if I was ready to return. I told her that I'm not comfortable going against the Dr's orders. And I politely said for her to tell my boss, whom I have a great working relationship with, that if he can do without me this long then 4 more weeks won't hurt. I went back to work last week on modified hours. I found it To be very sore after a 3hr day. This week it's 4 hrs for 5 days and I was not good after that time. And I have a job where I am my own boss per second. But at work you can't lie down, ice when you need it etc. And working in pain is not productive in any case. I am in management and I know that you can be requested to see a company dr,  however, that wouldn't happen until your doctor has cleared you for work and you don't return or if your doctor have put you off much longer than normally required. You, my friend doesn't fall in either. Stand up for yourself and don't let them bully you. If you really want to prove themwrong, take the trip,  arrive with a severely swollen leg, using a walking aide and the company doctor will be able to see. Shame on your employer. Get some advice. And don't be bullied. 

13 weeks post tkr

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.