7 cm ovarian cyst

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi , I have been having lower abdominal pains for several months now. I'm 48  and per menopausal , put the pains down to my age and hormones!! After seeing the Dr I was sent for an ultra sound which showed up something on my left ovary . The radiographer said it could have been my bowel covering the ovary and suggested rescanning in 2 weeks . I've had this done and showed the same . The Dr said it looks like a dermoid cyst , around 7 cm , . He was sending a report back to my gp suggesting I had a MRI and referral on to a gynaecologist. That was 2 weeks ago now and my gp have had no report back as of yet. 

Does anyone know if that is normal to wait so long for the report and is 7 cm large and likely to need surgery. 

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Jane.

I am 50 and was recently diagnosed with having a twisted 10cm dermoid ovarian cyst on my left ovary and a 5cm cystadenofibroma on my right ovary. I was admitted in agony about 8 weeks ago but because pain killers eased it to managable I was discharged and gynaecologist requested urgent MRI and urgent follow up appointments for results of MRI. It took 3 weeks to have my MRI and a further 4 weeks to see my gynaecologist. I saw my gynaecologist on tuesday and he had me down for surgery but because I'm not doubled up in agony he won't touch me and wants to review me in 6 months!!! I get a multitude of other symptoms likd bloating heavinrss nausea backache but all he's interested in is seeing me in agonising pain. If I do get this pain I have to present myself to A&E and then ask for my gynaecologist to re evaluate my need for surgery!! So scary and frustrating 😯

If you haven't heard from the hospital in another week or so ask your GP to contact the hospital to get things moving. I had to keep pushing to get my appointments as urgent cases are meant to be seen in a 2 week time slot! Hope you get seen and sorted out soon and not messed about like me. Good Luck ?

• Posted

Thanks Denise , my pain isn't that severe but is always there like a dull ache . Im going to make an appointment to see my gp again and see if I get anywhere with her . 

• Posted

Where do you live, Jane? I'm in the US. I'm noticing huge differences between countries in terms of wait times. I had MRI scan results in my electronic chart within 48 hours. Then I have the doctor call me on the third day after having the MRI.

• Posted

I'm in the UK , things seem a lot slower here unless your in unbearable pain !!

• Posted

Hi jane,

I was diagnoised in early november, been to a&e 6 times in total in agony. Just given pain killers & sent home. I signed my consent forms for surgery on thursday. Still got a bit of time to wait for the op yet. I also have a dermoid cyst. It does take a long time, which seems longer if your in pain. Also there can be a lot of set backs. I hope everything goes ok for you, dont let them fob you off. Make sure you say what you want & dont take no for a answer.

Wishing you luck for your journey ahead.

Cheryl.x ?

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl , how big was your cyst ?  I've no idea if 7 cm is big and would need removing!

• Posted

Mine was 16cm but one my last scan it had shrunk to 14cm. I think ive had it for about 10 years. Ive been told i had ibs for years also the thought it was loads of different things before i managed to make them scan me. They say anything over 5-6cm should be removed. Hope it goes well for you. Xx
  • Posted

Hi Jane

I too went for an ultrasound earlier this month as was cramping both sides for about 2 weeks. My periods are always heavy and show up when they fancy, generally anytime from 4-7 weeks.

My Dr sent me for an internal ultrasound and it was described as a complex ovarian cyst, 7cm big on my right ovary.

I was told I would be booked in for an urgent gyne appt to determine what to do.

I was still in a lot of discomfort so decided to call my Dr back who said she would put me on a 2 week waiting list to be contacted regarding the gyne appointment.

About 5 days passed and I so worried, cramping got worse and I just had to do something. I went back to Dr and she sent me to a&e where I sawbthe gyne there who admitted me and carried out more tests.

I was in hospital for 2 nights, sent home with pain relief and was seen by consultant who confirmed it was a dermoid cyst and it would have to be removed. I was very lucky as only had to wait 10 days from discharge to operation.

If the pain is too much I would deffinetly kick up a fuss with your GP and see if you can be seen sooner.

I hope you get the answers you need.

Kind Regards

• Posted

Thanks for your information.  I rang the hospital yesterday and they said the report had been sent to my Drs neatly 3 weeks ago !! I am so annoyed as I have been calling them almost every other day and they kept telling me the report wasn't back yet. When I told them what the hospital said they miraculously fount the report in another file. When I queried it they said they had only just received it , I'd only spoke to them earlier that day and they said it wasn't there!!! I feel so frustrated as I've been waiting 3 weeks and they probably had it back in the first week . Anyway I've got an appointment with the dr tomorrow so hopefully things will start moving now .

• Posted

Also, 7cm isn't huge but anything generally bigger than 5cm is usually removed. It's roughly about the size of an orange!

Please let me know how you get on.

• Posted

My grand ma 80+ ..is also having an ovarian cyst of 7cm big....given pain killers....also told for a surgery...
  • Posted

After seeing my gp I was sent to the hospital for a fast track appointment . There they did another ultrasound which showed the same as before 6cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary and a smaller cyst on my right which seemed to be dispersing . Apparently this is really common in ovulation. I was also given an internal examination which the Dr said everything seemed fine and normal. I was told that these cysts don't usually have any apparent symptoms and the lower abdominal pain could be bowel related and nothing to do with the cyst. I told them that I don't open my bowells every day but that is normal for me . The pain I experience is more like period pains .

they did say that they would do a follow up appointment but I don't know when .

i do feel a bit frustrated  and that I've just got to live with the constant pain, .

• Posted

So will they not remove the 6cm cyst? If it's causing you pain then I'm suprised they haven't decided to remove it.

• Posted

No mention of removing it , the radiologist said that they would probably want to remove it but the dr said they would just keep an eye on it.
    • Posted

The only thing you can do is go back to your Dr and complain that your still in discomfort. I did this and they sent me to the on call gyne, it was only then after they admitted me they decided to remove it. Drs say that cysts don't cause any symptoms but I don't believe it as I've had random cramping before having it removed so I know it can cause pain.

• Posted

Don't get me wrong I was so relieved when they didn't seem too concerned and it was nothing sinister but When I was asked about my bowels I told them that I don't go regularly but never have they said I was constipated . I'm not constipated that's the way I am and always have been nothing has changed there and I haven't always had these pains . I know the difference between constipation pains and what I am experiencing ,  

• Posted

Hi again Jane,

Its a load off cr*p that cysts dont cause pain etc. I know that they do like most ladies on here. Please please dont let them fob you off.. its took me10years in total to be taken seriously. Dont let them leave you in pain, next time your pain is at its worse admit yourself into hospital ( they seem to take it more serious if you do). Do what ever it takes to get yourself on the waiting list for surgery (that will even be quite a wait but you will feel like your getting somewhere). Its horrible how the nhs (if in uk) leaves people so long before even getting on the list. Keep pestering your dr/ consultant...

Best wishes

Cheryl x😆

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.