7 months post op and not pain free.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm hoping that there is somebody that can relate to my "situation" as I'm beginning to think I'm having phantom pains......

A week before Christmas, 2017, I had a cholecystectomy ( key hole) Nothing major to report but the GB was slightly infected and there was pus present when it was removed. I was prescribed oral antibiotics for this and my recovery was pretty much text book.

I returned to work after nearly 3 weeks on light duties, my job involves a lot of bending, lifting and stretching.

Jump forward to now...I haven't had one day where I haven't been "reminded" that I had surgery ie varying degrees of discomfort to a radiating pain in the area where my GB used to be.This is worsened by how physically active I am at work.

After visits to the GP and  referral back to outpatients, I went for an ultra sound scan today.This was mainly to check if there was a hernia that had occurred post surgery.

Guess what NAD...so I went off to work and 5 hours later I had a dull ache in my side.

Lying down in bed, on either side, the ache is worsened.

Does anyone have any similar experience?

Can anyone suggest anything?

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm imagining the pain??? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I don't think 3 weeks is enough time to go back to work. You shouldn't be lifting or bending at all. This is probably why you are experiencing all of your pain. It took me 3 months to go back to work. Slow down and let your body heal. You should be resting so your insides get a chance to heal. Please be careful or you might be in hospital again.

• Posted

I went back to work after 3 weeks on light duties, basically doing nothing but looking pretty!

My GP said it could take up to 6 months for my body to mend, yet when I saw a DR at outpatients last week he basically said I shouldn't still be experiencing any pain- hence the ultra sound scan for a hernia.

I'm at a loss as to why I have this pain, hence my post.

• Posted

Hi Bonne I'm 5 1/2 weeks post surgery and I still haven't gone back yet and my job is lifting 25 to 45 lbs 3/4 of my day . I'm having to wait at least another week and I still feel pain when I lift something over 10 lbs now . So not sure how work will go . The internal pain is what is the worst. I'm healed on the outside.

Just going to take time take it easy if possible.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply,

All I will say is listen to your body.

I know I went back to work, be it on light duties, too soon. I ended up being signed off by my GP for a further couple of weeks (they wanted to sign me off for a month but I said no as I don't get any company sick pay, just SSP which is ridiculous.Don't even get me started on the financial impact of having surgery and paying rent to a housing association!)

• Posted

No I understand got to pay the bills, hopefully you will feel better soon. I have read people having some pain on and off for years hopefully that's not you or me.Get better soon!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.