7 weeks and variable results

Posted , 5 users are following.

I agree that recovery is different for everybody. I sometimes feel I'm romping on, 115d bend , managing stairs up and down, sleeping well and feeling positive to suddenly find I'm struggling with all the past positives, one step forward one step back!!! Anybody else feel the same?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Yes Jackie, I feel the same as you! I am 8 weeks post op and have pretty good days and bad days . So many ups and downs. Do you ever feel like something is digging into your knee whenwalking? It is painful and prevents me from doing more walking, which Iove to do.o
    • Posted

Hi Dolores,

Yes not for the fainted hearted and I've considered myself a to do person.  The discomfort seems to come from different areas at different times, I suppose this is all to do with healing process. Eight weeks is still early and I think the magic word is patience (I'm not good at that) I think I've tended to overdo theexercises so I'm not giving myself a few days off.  I'm sure in a few months time we will be practically as good as new😀😀😀🥂😀

• Posted

I am giving myself a few days off!!
    • Posted

I've given myself a day off exercise today too!  And two weeks off pushing that knee bend hard, as my physio said to do BLESS HIM!

• Posted

Yes!  But at only three weeks here you are reassuring us so much that this is all normal and we can expect this to happen for a while.  My spirits seem to be so up and down!  For the most part, really up, but then extra stiffness one day can knock me back again.  But it is the OTHER knee hurting as I get in and out of the car more than the operated one that reminds me that this is actually an improvement on the arthritis that was in the operated knee. 
  • Posted

Hi Jackie

It all sounds terribly familiar. I was a bit like that 1 step forward 3 steps back.

It does get better I can assure you, I'm now at around 5.5 months post op & doing well.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Nice to know, thank you, I'm being very emotional at times, I think cabin fever is setting in , apart from short trips to restaurants and wine....supermarkets for cappochino and scones, a cleaner for the first time, my calorific intake is not good, so expect the lbs are piling on? Get a grip girl you'll soon be running and this will be in the distance past, retain your sense of humour..if only I wasn't booked in for the left knee 25/7 😫😫😫still next year I'm certainly going to be making up for it 🚢🍸🥂🍷🏊???🏝.lol.xx

• Posted

Ahh yes, once you are properly mobile the weight will be shed.

Good luck for July, I am due to see my surgeon again in June, then hopefully back on the waiting list!

Take care

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Jackie, I've always had to watch my weight and the same thoughts are going through my head here, which was one of the reasons I was so keen to get back on the recumbent bike and maybe overdo it!  But really I'm treating myself much more than usual too but tell myself 'you deserve it'.   OK, if I put on a few lb then really, so what.  When the other knee is done they'll come off again, so if those extra treats make my day happier then I'm going with it:-)  My biggest concern really is to be fit for the next knee to be done which I'm hoping they'll book me in for as soon as possible after I've seen the physio to get signed off for this one, in three weeks.  I'd got pretty fit for this one, deliberately, and hope I can do the same for the next one, but I'm not going to push this one so far now (thanks to Marilyn!) so will build up just a few weeks before the next one if need be.

• Posted

I hope so too, for you Marilyn:-))))  Were you referred for both at the initial consultation?  I was, so just 'chose a knee, any knee' really.  But while the physio said to see the surgeon on the same day I go to see the physio, the hospital said I have to get signed off before I can make the appointment with the surgeon, so will have to go back about two or three weeks later - that's how long the appointment waiting time is.  Then it will be between eight and twelve weeks after that for the op.

• Posted

Yes Chris exactly the same! I chose the right as it was more painful than the other. Heaven alone knows what will happen on today's climate (in the NHS).

Take care Chris

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I'm exactly the same, chose the right as seemed to be having more problems with that one, couldn't believe when he said 2😫😫 he would have me back next month as he said important as the operated knee has made my leg longer because it's been straightened than the other one and could make my leg bend again.  He let me defer as my daughter is getting married in June but I have to do special exercises to keep operated leg straight. I'm relieved as mentally and emotionally I really feel the need for a break before starting again.  I really wasn't prepared for how poorly I have felt due to very low blood pressure and big blood loss, then due to medication a really upset stomach.the actual knee although very unpleasant was secondary, I'm hoping it doesn't happen again. Still we'll be like spring chickens when it's all done.😀😀😀xx

• Posted

Hi Jackie, we don't see much on the thread @ reaction to medication. I have lost a half stone since my Tnr 9 weeks ago, the meds play havoc with my stomach. I've been up all night being ill & ive been known not to make it to the bathroom in time a few times ,no wonder I always have an empty stomach. Thankfully for me I only needed one knee done as my problem was an injury not arthritis. I manage ok in the day.Exercising, walking , stairs tho am not good at coming down. But at night the stiffness drives me mad. I haven't had a decent night sleep yet. Though I am improving. I've come off all the hard stuff & now only on paracetamol & ibuprofen. I take my hat off to all you folk going back for a second Tkr. My dear friend had surgery today & will have a second one done after , due to arthritis, Sure you'll feel good for the wedding , hope all goes well. We are going to my grandson's wedding end of July a 5 hour car journey. So I'm keeping fingers crossed too,. Good luck x

• Posted

Thank u, hope your journey goes well. I'm sleeping pretty well waking once, in the past I was the same as you, so I started just doing stretching exercises the first time I woke, I found eventually this really helped, think it helped the knee getting really set. Have a go it might help.  I've just been on paracetomal for 3 weeks now, twice in the day, on going to bed and once in the night. Hope this helps.xx

• Posted

Yes, Marilyn, I have been anxious about the state of the NHS and some areas looking for any excuse to stop these ops just to save money - I even wondered if there would be an age restriction or something else silly coming in, so that also has made me very keen to get the second one out of the way - one knee feels like half a job LOL!  Jackie - even though I stopped taking pain meds very soon after the op apart from the two paracetamol I usually take at night long term, my stomach has been terrible!  Before the op I had to take two Movical a day but since, most days it's just one - I can't get back into a normal routine.  And as for blood pressure - before the op I'd been on blood pressure (high blood pressure) tablets for a while but then a day after the op it suddenly dropped to 60 something over 40 something and I nearly passed out so they gave me oxygen, but at times if I've stood for too long I've come over a bit faint since.  I'd say it's pretty much worn off now though.  I think this time of year, when it's cooler, it's easier to deal with but the other leg wil probably be in the summer, so might be more of a problem, but I think it can affect the body like that and you jut have to keep in mind it might take a month to pick up normality again.  Ha ha - down to the usual phrase 'it's all normal' LOL!  BUT, like you said, the actual knee has been so good.  I'm now three weeks and three days and not bothering with the stick indoors really.  In fact I walked from bedroom to lounge carrying it on my shoulder LOL!  So many wonderful goods, with just a few not so goods, but on the whole I can't wait for the second one to be done and if they offered it today I'd be there like a shot!

• Posted

Oh yeah Chris, same here if they offered me another date for next week for the left knee I'd bite their hand off lol!!

But, am waiting for appt with surgeon & not heard, no appt letter nothing! I'll have to ring on Monday to ask what's going on!! It can be hit & miss at our hospitals, there are 3 in the health area but only 1 is a proper hospital! If you know what I mean. The others used to be general hospitals but now are glorified clinics!! Appts disappear, don't arrive & can be generally mixed up so you really have to be proactive when you're expecting one in the post! I had a letter, years ago, saying that as I didn't attend the Eye clinic o wouldn't get another appt! Talk about seething, but when I rang the contact centre they were really apologetic, this happens a lot it seems!!

Anyway I hope you are well & the knee continues to behave.

I love this forum, wonderful people, wonderful advice.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi Jackie,I still wake a lot in the night but it really Isnt as bad , I ice it. I have just started taking my first paracetamol at 9.am before it was nearly 7. So I can save a couple for during the night will ,be first time I've taken stuff in the night quite excited , how sad is that !! Except ONCE early on, I was so desperate I took a large swig of the liquid morphine, was good but a weird feeling of being with the fairies. I took the rest to the chemist after that !!! Must say I'm feeling positive & dare I say @ 9 weeks I can see light at the end of the tunnel as each day I do more . I'll definitely try the stretching , thanks for the tip. Take care.

• Posted

One of our more local hospitals is like that Marilyn but I chose the one I went to for the knee because it had such a good reputation and I heard a nurse ask someone else where they were from and they said close to us.  She said they get a lot of people from our area, despite there being two hospitals much closer.  The one I chose has an amazing service where you can get straight through to any department and sort out what you need, and when you see the consultant you also see the whole team - get bloods done, MRSA test and x-ray and everything on the same day.  It's very impressive! 

Yes, I hope you're well too and your knee is as good as possible as well:-)  I'm still getting that pinching pain behind the knee but not panicking about it now.  It will either go in due course, or if it doesn't and needs surgery then that surgery is likely to be straightforward and successful, so it is what it is and I'll go with the flow.  Another milestone today - I made a cup of tea for my husband and me LOL!

Take care:-)))))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.