7 Weeks Post-Op - Not Good

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I had my gallbladder removed about 7 weeks ago. I was told I would feel so much better and be able to eat normally. Not working out that way.

2 months prior to surgery I was mostly on a plant based diet with a little bit of grains, like steamed veggie w salt and nothing else and maybe some cous-cous, no oil, butter or any type of fat or I would go into pain. After surgery I waited almost a month before introducing any fats. I seem to be able to tolerate a pat of butter on toast in the mornings and that is it for fat. I've tried a little meat, one egg, some chocolate on different occasions and the reactions are either the ole familiar pressure on chest and ribcage but now also could get nauseous or diarrhea. The worst is that pressure and the most frequent reaction. It's like I never had the operation, yet I have 4 small incisions on my abdomen and two photos from the hospital to prove, yes, I did have it.

If I knew what this reaction was I would know what to be looking up to help myself but I'm not sure what this is. I saw the surgeon last friday and she said my body got used to vegetarian diet and to give time, by next month I will be better. I'm not too optimistic because when I try some fat/protein it's a small amount that gets the negative reaction.

Anyone else having a hard time with eating Post-Op?

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Going on 5 months and got worse! I dont eat any fats and half the time i have pressure in upper stomach now to much bile as dr said and my throat is now clemching due to excess acid reflux. My surgeon said all he could give me was xanax and nexium. Its ridiculous i thiught this operation would make me better and it got me worse. for that i shouldve just left it in. still cant eat a lot have horrible pains nausea shoulder pain and chest pressure. have gone vegan and still not working.

• Posted

hi...sorry to hear you are not feeling well after surgery. I highly suggest you take a digestive enzyme that has a the enzymes with ox bile. I had my gallbladder removed 12/19... and I take the enzyme with each fatty/carb meal and i have not had any issues whatsoever. hope this helps you.

• Posted

Hi Blanca

Would you take the ox bile supplements if on a vegetarian diet?

At this point my main protein is Tofu as now I'm afraid to eat meat.

Do vegetarians need enzymes as well? What enzymes for mostly carb dishes?

Thanks!

• Posted

Sorry for your outcome. You need a life without animal fats like me. When I do try to eat a little fat my body tells me no. I feel sick and I don't want that. So I stopped having meats and spicy foods too. Can say I feel so much better. I came upon a meat I can digest. LAMB. Its pricey but worth it. So what you should do is live to eat not eat to live. Eat healthy and feel better. I do and life is so much better. Take care.

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed about 6 years ago.

Since then I have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes but not sure if that is coincidental or not. So a difficult question for me to answer really as I have to be careful what I eat because of diabetes. If you have had your gallbladder removed then you cannot eat too much fatty stuff. I would stay off cheese for a bit. Did you have keyhole surgery or the bigger operation?

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.