7 weeks post prolapse repairs reassurance needed please.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm now 7 weeks post op for my anterior & posterior prolapse repairs plus perineum reconstruction. I've done everything I was told to, resting loads, not lifting anything, avoiding constipation, walking daily etc.I'm now gradually trying to get back to some sort of normality by building up my daily activities ( nothing strenuous!). My problem is extreme tiredness. Everything I do exhausts me. Does this sound normal? I start the day feeling reasonably positive but by mid to late afternoon I'm completely shattered & just want to sit & sleep. I feel I should have more energy by now & am getting very frustrated & often quite depressed. I've had a lot of stress regarding my 90 year old Mum which hasn't helped my recovery. Any reassurance would be most welcome. Thank you.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Your body has been through a lot, it can take months to recover fully. I know it's frustrating but you obviously still need to rest. Try and eat healthily, get some fresh air when you can & accept any offers of help. Have you had your post op check yet?

I'm sorry you've had a stressful time with your Mum do you have someone who can help you with this?

Things will get better. X 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I don't have a follow up appointment. I was told to get in touch if I had any problems, which really isn't very satisfactory as I've not known what is normal or not! I don't know what I'd have done without this forum - the advice & information has been invaluable. 

My sister came home from a long holiday abroad yesterday so at least I'm not on my own with my problems with Mum now. I just didn't need all the stress & anxiety when I was trying to convalescence! 

Thank you again for your reassurance, I had no idea I'd be affected like this! x

• Posted

The recovery from your surgeries may take a while longer. Please remember that you cannot compare 2 individuals with each other and expect to recover the same. The best advice I can give you is to listen to your body. Ear healthy foods, take a good multivitamin and be patient. This shall pass too! Best wishes.
  • Posted

Hi - sorry to hear you're having trouble I think from what I've seen of other ladies on here it's pretty normal to be exhausted for 12 weeks. Did you have your follow up appointment yet? 

• Posted

Hi. Thank you for your kind reply. I haven't got a follow up appointment. I was told to get in touch if I had any problems! Not very satisfactory when you don't know what is right or not! I felt dreadful for the last couple of days, but today, thank goodness, I feel marginally better. A dangerous time though as that's when I'm tempted to do too much! Best wishes Carol x 

• Posted

Hi Carolmaria. Hope you continue to feel better. I'm now 5 months post op. for posterior/perineum repair and sacrospinous fixation. I was in same situation, no follow up apt arrived but I saw GP who said I should contact the hospital/clinic where I had the op and ask for an apt to check my worries! She treated me for a uti which cleared up with antibiotics. I did call the clinic and explained and a short time later I received a call back from a nurse with an offer of an apt the following week. (Last week). My consultant did a good check and assured me that everything had healed well and looked fine now. I mentioned I was having sensitive  bladder and urgency. He prescribed Estriol, a small tablet to insert vaginally with an applicator, to use until I see him in December. I'm trying now but too early to say if it's working yet. I'm 74 and had an oophorectomy last year as I had an ovarian cyst. I'm thinking that lack of oestrogen could be the reason for my tiredness at my age! lol rolleyes Please take it easy, it's a long recovery for this type of surgery, takes a lot out of us mentally and physically. Pollyanna x smile

• Posted

Thank you so much Pollyanna for your kind reply. This operation has taken far more out of me than I'd expected.  In fact I really hadn't been prepared for any of it. I was given very little information either before or afterwards. I've learnt far more on this forum from real ladies with real experiences. It's been very comforting & reassuring. At 68 I suppose we don't bounce back up as we have done when younger.  My hysterectomy at 42 didn't cause me these problems! At the moment it's mainly the tiredness & sometimes depression, that are getting me down. It seems that anything I do exhausts me. I still don't feel confident enough to drive yet which surprises me after 7 weeks.

I do hope you continue to make good progress. My best wishes. Carol xx 

• Posted

Should have said the tablet is Vagifem, oestrogen replacement therapy. Low oestrogen can also cause tiredness and I know I for one am not making any since oophrectomy. Our levels just get less after the menopause anyway. I'll up date later if anything worth saying! lol lol Take it easy, one day at a time and don't overdo things. We have to listen to our bodies, I do now and if it says rest I do just that! wink I love lying down and listening to my audio books on Kindle. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.