7 weeks post TKR extreme sensitivity to touch

Posted , 9 users are following.

There are times I want to jump out of my clothes, the senation of anything touching my knee is painful. I hate how it feels when I touch anywhere around my knee. PT said to keep applying lotion, it will help bring sensation back to normal, but when? Any ideas to lessen this sensativity to touch? Its not just cloth, water also is unpleasant.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Can you wear a soft bandage around your knee or a knee guard with cotton wool placed along the scarline? My knees were very sensitive however it was part of the recovery process so I used organic body lotion religiously and it passed after a few weeks. Can you wear flowing pants or shorts for a few more weeks? Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Kathy!

My incisions were extremely sensitive for about six months. Water running over them felt really intense! I would spend a lot of time shaving the skin on either side of the incision and didn't feel completely comfortable shaving OVER the incision until about one year post op!

I wore very soft yoga pants. I was able to wear jeans after about a year.

I have some areas of skin that are still numb, but others that have come back to normal feeling.

Maybe use lotion every other day. Give yourself a bit of a break from worrying about it. Sometimes when we distract ourselves from an unpleasant situation it makes us feel more in control and more relaxed.

Sensitivity is very normal. It will get better...with time.

(TKRs June and October 2015)

• Posted

Wrap the knee LOOSELY in an ACE (elastic sports) bandage.  Just tight enough so it doesn't fall down.  Else get a knee (compression) sleeve one size larger than you would normally buy.  Both methods insulate the knee from clothing, sheets, etc.  Simple fix.  Why didn't you ask sooner?

• Posted

Nerve endings and they will be last thing to heal. You'll think it's over and suddenly that sensation will jump up and bite you again somewhere else. After my 4 or 5th surgery I had an awful time. That's when I got into the vitamin E oil and started using it a couple times a day.

Talk to your primary care Dr. There are a couple of drugs..gabepenton and lyrica that can help if it gets really bad. Insurance plans fight the lyrica because of the cost so most Drs start with 300 mg three times a day. You can safely take 3000 mg a day according to my pain management guy.

• Posted

My knee and a % of the op leg does not tolerate anything, even a gentle breeze! ve tried out most things but leave it to air, wear shorts or culottes and the world has to put up with my knees (usualy would be covered!) It is slowly improving but not resolved 16 weeks post op and 1 manipulation later. I bought an inexpensive bed cage to keep covers off at night but still feel cosy and covered up and that has helped lots also for my non op knee.

?I've tried compression and light clothing but can only stand them a short time. I'm sure it will all resolve so I'm just letting it be. I apply oils and creams to the areas so skin is smooth and do some light massage. Good luck with your knee.

• Posted

Have you thought of wearing PJ bottoms? Its cotton and flowing. I worn PJ bottoms for 8 weeks and now at 10 weeks, I wear cotton sweatpants. Doesn't bother me at all. Oh yes put lotion over the area and massage it. I know its feels sharp rubbing pain but you gotta do I to get it calm down.

• Posted

Hello Kathy, my TKR is 2 years old this month. I remember my knee being very sensitive. I couldn't stand for anything to touch it. Somebody on this forum suggested wrapping Saran Wrap around the incision. It was the only thing that worked for me. Sometimes the wrap would slip off but I just wrapped it back on but not too tight. I hope you find something that works. Hang in there. It does get better. I still have some discomfort but nothing like before the surgery. Good luck!!!!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.