7 weeks Prozac still not myself! When will this end?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I weened off 20mg fluxeautine starting in December and ending in May when I had a really bad panic attack. I began taking one pill every 4 days and eventually every two weeks. Then all hell broke loose! I immediately went on a 20 mg flux regiment and it has been 7 weeks so far. The first 2-3 weeks were horrible. Recently I have been taking 1mg clonozaepam every 6 days or so to take the edge off and help me sleep at nights. I just feel it should be working better by now. When I started Prozac I was in a good place within 3-4 weeks. I had the best year of my life while on it and I just didn't want to be on it anymore. I quit and then deployed to a different country thinking some time away from family would be the best time to really stop the pills. I guess I was wrong. I was only on Prozac for a year before this so it's weird to me that it's not working the same after a short time off. I am desperately searching for answers. Why do I feel "ok" for 6 days after taking my clonozaepam. I know it has a long half life but i doubt it's working for me that long. Ha anyone dealt with this or have some advice? Should I try Zoloft? Stay the course on Prozac? Up my dosage? I just want to be the same old father, husband and friend I was earlier this year. Please help!

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Fishfry, I hear how stressed you are. I just checked this forum before going to bed and saw your message. My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry about what you are going through.

I know very little about drugs and how they act except the two I take, but on seeing you wrote 28 minutes ago, I thought you might be waiting for a reply. I answered to assure you that you have come to a good site, The people here are compassionate, caring and experienced. Many of them have a great deal of experience that will be very helpful to you. i just wanted you to know that someone heard you and feels your distress. This forum had been so helpful and instructive for me, I know someone who knows what you need answers to will reply.

This is usually a quiet time but in a few hours (or maybe less) many people should be on line. A lot of the participants here seem to be from the US and it is Independance Day, so they are probably out viewing fireworks.

Be patient, and hang in there. winkSending you a big hug and a kiss on the cheek, dear man.

• Posted

I'm going to jump in here, Fishfry, and make a suggestion. Make an appointment with someone who can help. A phychiatrist can tell you what's going on, and will be very knowledgeable about drugs...and get you on the right stuff. You need someone who can handle both the diagnosis, and the prescription.

Also, when needing information about any drug, go to your pharmacist...or any pharmacist anywhere.

You need peace of mind, and peace of body. I thought over your message, and  decided to go to the basic issue, and maybe the info. would help. Let me know if it did. Take care.

• Posted

I will decently take that advice when I get somewhere there is a doctor
  • Posted

Have you ever taken cipralex? My doctor prescribed it to me a few months back, i have yet to take it, kind of scared.
    • Posted

I wouldn't get to wrapped up in the horror stories of people's side effects if that's what your afraid of. I have been on celexa and Prozac. Both of which had no or little side effects for me when I started. The only time I had side effects was the second time going on Prozac again and that might have been withdrawal. I do warn you though, once you make that decision to take an ssri or a drug like lexapro you are going down a difficult road if you want to get off them. For me though, living with anxiety was not worth it. You have one life and why not feel good and do the things you want to rather than fight everyday wishing you felt as you did as a child.

• Posted

Mirtazapine has been the one for me!,i was on prozac 2 weeks and it was hell! Docs chsnged me to mirtazapine and very quickly im 90% my old self again!im in no way cured but my chronic health anxiety that was destroying my life is now under control,there are lovely people on here with lots of good advice and help as much as they csn xx
  • Posted

don't self medicate, I should get some professional advice on your next move.

• Posted

Most of the time, we will be on meds for life. I never understand when people really start feeling good and then go off them. That's just nuts. I think it can take a month or two for some people.When you wanted to take yourself off of them, because you were feeling way to good (oh my) the min. you weren't,you  should have immediately gone back on them. I would think that if prozac worked before, it would work again. There are many meds out there. Keep calling your doctor,till you feel way too good again. Zoloft was the first med I was on. That might be great for you. There are so many, just keep at it.

• Posted

Yes hindsight I would not have gotten of the medication. I guess I just worry that one day I'll be on a cocktail of medications just to feel somewhat normal and I'm afraid to do that.

• Posted

It's amazing what anxiety makes us afraid of.....everything! We get one fear taken care of...and up pops another.

I have a question, is it worth it to sacrifice today's peace for a MAYBE, WHAT IF tomorrow??? That really is the decision you have to make.

I have many friends, aquaintances and clients that are on "cocktails" , some for many years, and me for another. We all agree they are making life well worth living. Others don't take much of anything. They also, are living well. What the heck is the difference if you are happy, peaceful and healthy, my love...what the heck is the difference?lol

• Posted

That's a great point CIA, i think it will get better. I mean it has to. One way or another some doc will fix me up fine. I think I'm mostly freaking out now because I'm trapped in a foreign country. It probably isn't helping my anxiety much

• Posted

No, it's not. My son got stuck in a foreign country and couldn't even get to an embassy. How long until you go home?

• Posted

Should be a matter of days now so not to far away. I'm not going home home but back to an actual base though where there are doctors and hospitals

• Posted

Most excellent news, Fishfry. I am glad to hear it, and proud of you for hanging in there. Be sure to keep in touch, luv.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.