7 wks post partial knee replacement burning pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am 7 wks post op after partial knee replacement , when I go to stand there is pain initially and then I can walk on it, I also experience a burning sensation on the half of the joint that was replaaced when at rest. i was told the knee takes up to 12 months to settle down totally. I wondered if these symptoms are common and whether any one else has experienced this pain. Any answers much appreciated thanks.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, boy it sounds like we can compare notes. My surgery was July 23.  The first two weeks were a little brutal like others speak about, but then I thought I was coming...but when I started to use my leg more I started to hurt below the knee....a weird spot.  I ended up going back to physio, and I'm not convinced my return visits have helped.  I did see my surgeon again on October 2.  He says it will come, probably soft tissue damage.  I find the more I use without over using it the better it feels.  It's very stiff and pain though when I initially stand on it.  In fact I've started using my cane for nightly bathroom trips as that's when it's worse when I've rested it more.
    • Posted

Thanks Sharon it is good to get reassurance as you can imagine all sorts going on with the replacement, I have been doing a fair bit of walking in the day so may have over done it a bit.
  • Posted

That sounds pretty normal Robert. I had the burning sensation inside for quite a few weeks and also the skin on my kneecap area still feels hot to touch after 15 weeks.

I'm not sure about the pain you experience on standing, there was just so much pain at 7 weeks it's indistinguishable.

• Posted

Robert, I find what I enjoy most, and it's probably more a girl thing.  I love a hot bath,  I do as much exercise as I can in the water.  Really miss my hot tub..  It seems to totally relax the muscles....I also have a beaded bag I heat in the microwave and that feels great.  I too worry about the intense pain when I first walk, but I'm trying to be optimistic....we all heal different.  I, not scheduled to see my surgeon until next April.
  • Posted

I AM ALMOST 12  WEEKS POST TKR...AT YOUR STAGE  ,I USED THE  ARTIFICIAL ICE PACKS FOUND IN WALMART......A BLUE GEL THAT IS REUSABLE THAT I COULD REFREEZE  . ALSO ,AT NIGHT I STILL RUN A FAN AT MY BEDSIDE TO KEEP MY KNEE COOL...I SLEEP ON MY SIDE , AND KEEP MY KNEE OUT OF THE BLANKET...I WAS ALSO TOLD THIS COULD TAKE UPTO 12 MONTHS ....I AM SURE I AM ICING LESS ...THE BURNING HAS DIMINISHED...BEST WISHES FOR REST AND COMFORT....ANITA

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.