70 DAYS Fluoxetine FEEL EMPTY

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had depression for a number of years and usually manage but a few things changed in my personal life about a year ago that shook me a bit more than usual.

Was at my wits end and after trying exercising, cutting down alcohol, reading self help books, meditation, i decided to go the anti depression route.

Have kept up all of the above, but stuggling really bad.  I am definately more level headed on the meds, but everyday i feel like i loose a little bit more of myself.

Today felt like a was in a dream world and not in a real world (if that makes sense).  Looked in the mirror and hardly recognised myself

Started meds and felt a quite high for first few days, then a little sick, but seemed to level out.  But last 3/4 weeks just feel nearly dead and disconnected from my own self and life.

The wife has also told me she feel that she has lost me to depression and that i am no longer the same person.

Thinking about stopping the meds as at least without them i was myself, a stuggling self but still me.

Has anyone else had this on Fluoxetine.  I have been holding on as everyone says takes time to level out on these.  But 70 days in on 20mg i really was hoping for relief.

What is is like coming off these things, is it ok just to stop?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I've been on Fluoxetine for a number of years now. I started on 20mg but I now take 40mg as my depression worsened. It could be that is what you need. Fluoxetine can take time to kick in and varies from person to person . I would have thought that after 70 days you should be noticing a difference. I would go back to your doctor and discuss your medication further. It is possible that you may need to try something else. There is something that will work for you. Good luck x

• Posted

I agree with sarah u should go bk to yr gp xx i was on fluoxetine many yrs it was grt for me. Dont just stop them. You wont b very well!!! Xxx

Good luck and see ur doc first if he wants u to try something else then he will wean from this and may start another x

• Posted

Oh no poor you Stuart jk! I have heard so many claims about this vile filth! Don't take it, wean yourself off it. I was given it then ignored for years, I now refuse to take any antidepressants now, just yoga, walking, talking and anything but anti depressants. I also do see a PTSD counsellor who is ok, but my health has physically been bad this year so I have missed lots of sessions this year. My counsellor is good but I hate it there as the content of what we discuss is awful.

• Posted

Do not just stop the mess u have to be weaned off. 

My partner is also on them and he still struggles but is thinking of upping them a little. 

Depression is awful and I also feel at times I’ve lost my partner to it. 

• Posted

Do not just stop the meds u have to be weaned off. 

My partner is also on them and he still struggles but is thinking of upping them a little. 

Depression is awful and I also feel at times I’ve lost my partner to it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.