7th week, 11th day on upped dose. Anxious and suicidal thoughts.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm on the 11th day of 40mg, and the 7th week overall. I had a few good days but today I have been very anxious and had suicidal thoughts. Shouldn't I be way better by now? I don't think I should be having days as bad as this, should I? I was on Prozac before and it was great. Is it just not working this time?

0 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh god Dom... I've just seen your post!! I personally feel that you should go back and see your Doctor asap. You should not be having to feel like this (obv this is only my opinion!). Do you live in England? I haven't been posting on here since before Christmas but I have been reading all the comments as they come straight through to my phone! Look after yourself and hope you get sorted out pretty quick! x

• Posted

Thank you Julie, thankfully I don't feel like that today. Just a blip I guess but one really bad one. x

• Posted

Aww good glad you are better today. Long may it continue! x
  • Posted

Hiya Dom,

Considering how long you've been on Fluoxetine now it should have had some sort of effect by now. I would recommend talking to your doctor about the side effects and symptoms you are having. They might recommend a different antidepressant. I stopped taking Fluoxetine about a week ago, just started Escitalopram today.

Fingers crossed they can do something for you! 

• Posted

I agree Robert.... It does actually say on the leaflet that if you are feeling this bad you should go see your Doctor straight away .. Good Luck with your new AD. Just out of curiousity why did you come off Flu? x
    • Posted

Best of luck on the new AD Robert, the feelings passed so I am going to stick with it. How long were you on Prozac for?
    • Posted

I was on Fluoxetine for nearly 4 weeks, the side effects just became too much for me and I needed to find an alternative. It's strange because I was on fluoxetine for 3 years and it worked like a charm back then (2013 - 2016). 

• Posted

Weird, I am trying to get back on to it for the 2nd time. Had a few good days befor I upped dosage so will stick with it for 8 weeks and hope for the best. My 5th week was the worst.
    • Posted

I came off of it because the side effects were really affecting me: it became harder to eat, could hardly sleep, felt nauseous all the time, and vomited frequently, my anxiety was all over the place too. And it just drove me insane x

• Posted

Are you feeling any better since you quit Robert?
    • Posted

robert are they having you wean of Flux first or stop straight away and start the new one?

• Posted

God I can imagine!! Well hopefully the new ones will help x
    • Posted

I was feeling a lot better when I started quitting, I was also prescribed domperidome tablets to help with nausea. They boosted my appetite and I hardly had any anxiety issues. Last night I started to feel odd though, my anxiety was slowly creeping up. So I decided to take the escitalopram. I'm going through a few side effects (mainly dizzy spells, swirling head, and a brief moment of nausea and vomiting this morning). Trying to remain hopeful, as my GP told me the side effects are minimal and escitalopram is fast acting.

• Posted

My GP had me stop cold turkey, he gave me domperidone tablets to help with nausea and appetite issues. I started taking the new medication last night.
    • Posted

Please let us know how you get on Robert. Tina and I have been through hell with Prozac so far.
    • Posted

do you mind if i ask what the new anti depressant is he put you on?
    • Posted

Escitalopram (Also known as Cipralex and Lexapro) apparently it's an antidepressant with minimal side effects and is known to be fast acting.

• Posted

Yes I’ve heard of it. I have friends who are on lexapro. How are you feeling so far? How many days Hs it been on lexapro? 
    • Posted

I took my first tablet last night, I felt pretty awkward this morning my head kept swirling and I ended up being sick, but that eventually went away and I was able to eat breakfast, lunch and some snacks too. I don't feel too anxious either, no real rushing thoughts either. And my heart isn't constantly palpitating like it was on Fluoxetine,

• Posted

I’m very Interested in following your lexapro journey because you snd I have had extremely similar symptoms with Prozac. I’m utterly miserable these days. Granted I upped my meds 2 weeks ago but only by 10mg but upped none the less. But the entire 7 weeks has been a mess. How long were you on Prozac for? We’re you nervous to switch? So proud of you for trying something different since it wasn’t working. 
    • Posted

I was on Prozac for nearly 4 weeks, I just couldn't cope with the side effects. Something just kept telling me that the Prozac wasn't working for me and it wasn't helping. I was annoyed about it because back in 2013 Prozac worked like a miracle for me, and I stayed on it until early 2016. I was relieved more than anything to switch antidepressants, I wrote list of my side effects and my questions for the doctor, he took one look at my list and just said 'Okay, we're going to take you off of them now, it's been nearly 4 weeks and they should be working for you'.

In the end I felt like I had to change the medication, I felt like I was dying on Prozac.

• Posted

That’s exactly how i feel Robert. And i was on it before from 2011-2017 then off 4 months and got back on 7 weeks ago. I feel the exact same. I’m

So terrified of coming off meds and going on something new but I have such little life right now I guess anything will better. You give me some hope Robert . Keep updating us. 

• Posted

Hi Dom,

I’m on week 9, the Dr added Buspar 2 weeks ago to the Fluoxetine 40mg and upped the dose last week, same side effects you are saying.  I think we need to stick it out for 12 weeks.  My husband reminded me I did have some good days.  When I’m in a bad day I forget I had a good one. I am seeing the Dr tomorrow to see what he says.  I just remember from years ago, that it takes a really long time to stabilize.  I wish there was a better option for us.   Hang in there.  

• Posted

Robert,

Sounds exactly like my side effects.  I switched to flu from Sertraline because the anxiety was so bad.  I didn’t have bad anxiety before taking these.  I wish there was a better option for us, so we don’t have to feel worse before getting better.

• Posted

So you've been on 40mg for just a week Stacey and it is your 2nd time. Yeah I'm going to aim for at least 8 weeks on the upped dose. The bad days are all consuming when they happen aren't they. I won't be coming off it any time soon if it works wink

• Posted

Iv been told I might need a switch and I’m petrified because this worked in the past, they lady suggested Mirtazapine but I couldn’t cope putting on the massive amounts of weight 
    • Posted

It’s been 2 weeks on the 40mg.  The Dr added Buspar for anti-anxiety a week ago.  I would have just rather stayed on just the Fluoxetine than add another one with side effects.  He thought it would help the flu side effects.
    • Posted

Wow, me, you and Tina are on pretty much the same timeline.

Good luck Stacey!

• Posted

Hiya there , I’m on Prozac 60mg and I’m fine , just to say I went on mirt for 6 mth s and not only did it put weight on, the nitemares became so bad, that I had to stop, they were so real and scary, as tho I was living th for real, so I stoped that as couldn’t stand that every nite... do just be aware of the chance if you change to mirt!!!! 

It mite be ok for you but most say the nite mates are bad 🤗x

• Posted

I have read lots of negatives about it so Iv said no, does anyone have any suggestions as to what’s worked and how?
    • Posted

Hiya painintopower

By all means try mirt it mite be ok for you, some people even like the bad dreams,ME nooooo way as they were bad? 4/5 a nite 

Each of us react differently to meds,  I use to be on trazadone be4 Prozac for 15 years, and not had 1 side effect from that, but it stopped working for me, other wise I would of stayed on trazadone for good, trail and effor I suppose with meds 🤗x

• Posted

Hi Tina,

The Dr took me off the Buspar today, it was giving me terrible anxiety.  It’s supposed to help with anxiety, but I guess for me it made me worse.  I feel better since skipping taking it today. It was 3 times a day.  I’m just on the Prozac now at 40, so we’ll see how it is.  He wants to know how I’m doing on Sunday.  How are you doing today?

• Posted

Stacey,

Isn’t it so weird that these meds have he opposite effect on us??? I’m bummed cuz I looked up buspar and it looked very hopeful but I’m so glad you stopped it. Especially since you feel better. 

I got rest last night for the first time in 4 days. So I felt like I had such a victory.  In return I was able to eat s tiny bit. But still have massive headaches, dizziness, and still super week. I took a shower and I managed to get through it without feeling too sick but by the fine i was done I was SUPER shaky and tired. But I am gonna start my vitamin D soon. Did I tell you my doc told me I’m defficinet in vitamin D. ? 

How are you feeling otherwise? 

• Posted

Tina,

It is weird, I stopped the Buspar and feel a lot better, it was terrible.  I still have some anxiety.   It helps the anxiety to not have sugar or caffeine, but when I don’t feel well, I don’t want to deprive myself of anything.  The Dr told me I need to go to my job on Tuesday, so I’m going somehow.  I’m hoping it will keep me busy with thinking about something else.  My husband is going out of town soon for 5 days, and I’m scared.  The Dr keeps telling me the anxiety won’t kill you.  It’s still hard though.  This Dr helped my Sister a lot, so I’m hoping I will get better.  Thanks for being there to listen Tina I really appreciate it.  The Vitamin D will make a big difference if you are low.  That’s great that you got some sleep.  Some days are better than others.  Keep hanging in there, I know it is so hard.

• Posted

hey robert, any update on you lately as far as switching? you did switch didnt you? how do you feel?
    • Posted

Hi Tina,

Yes I did switch, I switched to Escitalopram 5mg, the first few days it gave me nausea, morning sickness and some anxiety issues. My doctor prescribed me Domperidome tablets which really help with the nausea side effects. So far it seems to be having some effect, I feel more rational and level headed. My doctor explained to me that the nausea is common for the first few weeks, so hopefully it passes soon. 

• Posted

Hi Stacey,

Curious and wanted to check in. How did work go? Did you manage okay?

I don’t like to be alone either.  Before this journey I looked forward to having the house to myself.... but definitely not now. 

Hope things went well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.