7th week on flu....need advise

Posted , 8 users are following.

I don't know if it's working. I have more energy and people at work say I'm looking good but I still have the anxiety and racing thoughts. HOW do I know I'm making any progress and will this damn anxiety ever go away so I can feel like myself again. Only side effects I have had was cramping stomach, swollen feet and that cold adrenaline rush through my body.

0 likes, 17 replies

Report / Delete

17 Replies

• Posted

Dear brittany,

I feel exactly the same. Today I am finishing week seven on 20 mg fluoxetine in the morning.

Today is a disaster day for me ...racing health anxiety thoughts , racing heart , going in toilet often , waiting for a heart attack to happen and generally anxiety through the sky...

I also wonder will this thing start to work to be myself all the time again?

I know it's seventh week but it's not a little time even....

Are you taking something else besides flu?

For calming down I mean?

Let's update each other cause we are in the same situation as I see...

Rgds,

Alex

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Honestly I can't tell if the klonopin helps. I have energy but still very anxious like I can feel my pulse pumping through out my body. I can go to sleep but wake up with racing thoughts and it's like the same repetitive thought for the past year like it's just stuck in my head.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes I know how you feel.

I completely understand. I wake up early at 3.30-4.00 am and immediately racing thoughts are coming like something is wrong with me or I am sick and ect....and it goes on during the day. I get brighter moments in the evening...

I am thinking to try melatonin for sleeping.

I don't know what to do....I do not think it's clever now to quit the fluoxetine...

Do you feel the same?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi i take 40 mg fluexatine and was put on propanolol too am in my 7 th week and still getting anxiety especialy at night and am so tired but not sleeping more than a few hrs at a time .....
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It's hard to see progress as it creeps up so gradually.  I first began noticing my progress when I started realising I hadn't thought of 'it' for a while, and this then began happening more and more.  I started enjoying things more and didn't feel anxious at times.  These happenings slowly increased until I felt like this most of the time.  The icing on the cake came when I started waking in the mornings with no anxiety.

It was a good 3-4 months when it began happening for me.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you katecogs,

Your words are always good to hear.

I will stick on it but you know it's hard and reassurance is always welcome.

If like you say takes 3 or 4 months until it kicks fully than I support We are in the early stages...

I will be patient...

It's really hard to believe that brain is making all this changes...Today was a hell for me...racing thoughts,racing heart,evil thoughts(heart attack,cancer,stroke...etc.)...anxiety up all the time and I constantly think about it....I slept very little,every little thing upset me...

You felt all this above?

A

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh it's very hard having this illness and struggling with the medication too.  That inner negative voice constantly babbles away, telling you you'll never get better, the pills won't work for you, you have some nasty disease ... over and over, and though we know it's not true and we argue constantly with that inner voice, it gets to us and makes our minds really tired, makes our bodies become racked with anxiety.

Yes it really is fascinating that the brain is making all these changes.  It gets caught in a cycle which just constantly churns out anxiety.  Yes I have felt all that you describe - racing thoughts, churning stomach, heart pumping, nasty thoughts, anxiety constant ...... I became sick of it all, but it continued for days, months, years ...........  

The meds work on our neurotransmitters and serotonin, which send messages to the body ......... an amazing process really.  I'd love to have worked in medical research as I find the human a fascinating piece of machinery.

You can fully describe depression and anxiety to people who've never had it.  You can say what's it's like in detail, but the actual experience is something quite indescribable - you have to experience it to know how it feels.

Yes most people start to feel the meds working around 3-4 months - some feel it sooner and some take much longer.

K x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi brittany i too suffer from increased anxiety have been using a herbal remedy called lanes kalms i have used these on and off and have helped really well they cost about £7 for 2 months supply available from chemists or likes of asda or tesco they have helped me through some tricky times hope this helps or from health food shop u can by a spray called rescue remedy really quick acting hope this helps best wishes grahamj
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm feeling discouraged today
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello

I am currently on week 16 on 20mg. feel the same like you, during the day I feel more energetic and happier but when it is getting towards the end of the day I start feeling tension in my chest, so painful that I found it hard to breathe sometimes still have racing thoughts every now and then. plus I also notice ever since I have been taking this med, I have been putting up more kilos faster?? I do gain every now and then but not like 2-3 kilo per month? gosh another problem sad

i really want this anxiety to go away. going to start running regularly again and writing my journal tracking how I feel from day to day - probably will also read some inspiring books again like chicken's soup. 

my gp told me to change med to citalopram weeks ago but I still haven't changed yet. still have the fear that I would be back to when I started flu for the first time where I felt low constantly and increased anxiety. I do think that now I have been feeling a LOT better compared to before , anxiety is still here and there, but I believe I can glimpse the light at the end of the tunnel very soon smile

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yeah, running really helps my anxiety, I try to go every evening and jog for an hour. Just to get outside, get muscles working, and it makes you feel as though you're working hard and pushing yourself. I listen to the radio while doing it. One hour. Then a nice relaxing shower which makes it all worth it ;-)
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Brittany how are you feeling, are you doing any better?
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up