8 months tkr

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone hope you are all doing ok got a question have been doing ok but went for a walk on sunday and my knee has been hurting since so have been resting it and went back on the pain killers i find if i walk about a mile i get a swlling at the bottom of my knee where im bending it and this is where the pain is help also going on holiday in 3 weeks first time since op any does or donts advice would be good

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda

I am the same post op as you and have the same pain after walking.

I am no expert but I think it's your leg just saying I am still healing. It does ease of with rest but my knee is still very stiff and I am still very aware of it. My bend is okay but sometimes it feels like it will break if I lunge too deep. I wonder will it always be like this, everyone else is running and walking miles! I have quite large knees so maybe it takes a little longer, and I too go on holiday in three weeks. Just hope I can get around okay in Spain. 

X

• Posted

Dont do lunges, at this stage it is also silly to run or walking any significant distance because if the shock impact that travels from your fott upwards. If you want to walk wear something like crocs that are soft and cushion the shock value. Walking for a distance is fine, just be prepared to cancel the next day
    • Posted

Thanks Sueisobel

Maybe thats why it feels so painful and heavy some days... I will stop the lunges, as I said sometimes I feel if it's going to snap!

I use the stationery bike for 15 minutes every day. Will I ever wake up and think, Hey, that feels okay today??

• Posted

When you are out walking use a can as support. Going on holiday will be good for you, puts you in a different mindframe. Just remember what has been done to you, make sure you pack meds and take them regularly
  • Posted

Hi Linda

i am almost 6 months and like you find walking any distance painful so I just don't do it.  I am going on holiday on Wednesday, a short cruise, but want to be able to go off exploring each new place.  I will, but I am going to take lots of rests for coffees and soft drinks, or perhaps a little glass of wine.

i have been told to expect to be like this for at least a year or more realistically 18 months.  Just think where you are now in comparison to when it was first done.

I think we are doing ok, just frustrating.  I will let you know if it's survive the holiday ok.  It's the Greek Islands and I am so looking forward to it.

liz

• Posted

Glad to know I'm not alone. I am nine months out and I walked two and 3 miles a few times a week. My knee is always stiffed by the time I get home and sometimes it is hurting so I will elevated and ice it and it feels better afterwards.  I still have pain on the band and guess I will for a while. I do take water aerobics twice a week when I can get there and it is very helpful on the joints.  Sometimes if I try to wear flat sandals for dress I end up getting a shooting pain in my knee and can't walk. So I don't wear them. I am wearing Nike sandals that are foam and they work fine. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.