8 weeks and still having issues

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 43 yrs old and live in the USA and this is the only good forum sight I could find. So 8 weeks out and I still can't bend my knee when walking because of the pain. It hurts from my knee cap to my foot. I can't stand without pain, just like before my surgery. I can get to 130 degrees and 0 going straight but my scar always feels like it's going to rip open. Still have trouble sleeping, stairs I can't do normal but I can ride the bike for 15 min. I can't walk too long either. I must confess I don't do my exercises at home, only when at therapy. I used the walker for a week and never used crutches. I drove after 4 weeks. It's like I'm ahead in some things but behind in others. My pain is constant and im off all meds. My knee feels worse than before surgery and it's frustrating. I'm off ice and use heat, ice seems to make it worse.i hope I did make a huge mistake having the surgery. 

2 likes, 18 replies

Report / Delete

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What's your Dr say or your Physical therapists say? Hmmm,I would think you wouldn't be in such discomfort. I went to PT 4-5 months 3x a week.

janet

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My dr says I'm doing good but I built up scar tissue fast and it's more raised then it should be. I forgot to mention my leg had to be straightened too. I've only been in therapy for a month 2x a week
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello

I am 9 weeks in now and I still need meds and ice. I would talk to the doctor or physio about the pain. If i do not exercise every day my knee stiffens up. I am walking outside now but I find it tiring and painful but i am trying to build a bit more in each time. Maybe some of your muscle groups need a little more work in order to cope with all your activity. Your therapist should be able to advise you. Its a slow painful process and our bodies wont be rushed.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

One suggestion, get back on the ice. Too early for heat. Ice reduces the swelling. You may need to back off a little on some of the activity. There is still a tremendous amount of healing that takes place at this stage of the process and some things just can't be forced. Take advantage of the bend but remember the nerve endings continue to to heal slowly. Stay with the stretching, ice and elevation. Give it plenty of rest when you can as the healing process still needs that. I'm also in the US
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I feel ice makes it unbearably stiff. I don't have a lot of swelling. I'm really not doing much the most I walk is grocery shopping. My scar is raised a lot and might be causing the pain when I walk. My knee feels heavy and feels clunky sometimes. It constantly aches and I'm uncomfortable. My doc says it might feel that way for the first 3 months!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Touch base with your therapist on the heat. Mine absolutely forbid it. BTW, I'm going through my 4Th complete rehab, this one die to collapsing from an infection that caused my bp to drop. The others were all open knee surgeries. You might use vitamin e oil and massage it into to wound. You can buy it OTC at any drug store. I don't know what part of the country you are in but weather, abrubt changing barometer, cold damp can be brutal. Stay in touch...

You'll get a lot of help here

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Go back to starting point, Google 'Physio Tools for Knee replacement' There are a few NHS sites that will give you all the exercises

Dont use heat as it causes swelling go back to ice. I did that. Start taking painkillers regularly and not when needed. 

Exercise is the key.All of your muscles have been battered and torn and need time to heal. Your taking the long route, help your muscles out and give them gentle exercises so the dont go into spasm when you start pulling them around. Hope this helps

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I forgot to mention that I have a high tolerance to all medications/drugs. They work for the 1st day then I'm having to take 5 or more at a time and that was oxycodon. The morphine I had in the hospital worked for pain but it also made me lose track of time and gave me hallucinations. So that's out. Lol
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Talk to the doc

There are several dosages of hydrocodene. I started on one and had to be changed 3 x's. There are so many pain meds I would guess they can find one or maybe combination of 2 or 3 that can give you relief. This time around found most relief with MS continue 2x's a day (time release), 10/325 hydrocordone as needed every 4 hrs and 2 aleve twice a day for inflammation. Keep in mind there is a difference between joint related pain and tissue inflammation. You may have to work through your primary care doc as I feel they have a better sense of pain management than surgeons and are generally more receptive to discussing the problem and making changes rapidly. Surgeons seem to think the text book says you shouldn't be in pain so therefore you aren't.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, if you are still in pain I would go back to taking medication. I am 20 weeks and I still take some to try and bring the swelling that I still have down. I also still exercise most days and will probably do them forever as they have helped me.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi....seems fairly par for the  course, but you need to do the exercises and take the painkillers still.

Here in the UK we get physio while in hospital and then a booklet of exercises to do at home with the opportunity to see the physio again if there are problems. It is drummed into you that the responsibility for doing the exercises is your own and that much of the success of the procedure is down to the exercising.

I've been back to see the physios twice since the op, otherwise it's 3x daily exercises, walking and general daily activities.

I had less flexion than you a couple of weeks ago and could not come downstairs, but the physio told me this was not related to the bend which was good enough, but to weakness in the thigh muscles, so that was what I worked hard on. Within a few days immediately after the exercise session i could manage to come down 2 or 3 steps ok and i would repeat that several times, up and down, with hands and no hands. Now I can do it daily fine. A bit stiff at the end of the day.

Sleeping still a problem...needs painkillers both before going to bed and in the middle of the night.

So...exercise and painkillers again.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, all I can say is you are expecting to much to soon to come off your pills so early is probably not helping, I had my op 3 months today and still take my pills, it's still swollen and will be for a year I am told, it stiffens up if kept in one position for any length of time ie while eating a meal, it then takes time to get going again, I felt I was going backwards after 8 weeks but it gets a little better each day I feel, i am inpatient also but you must understand its major surgery, I don't do many  excersies but keep bending it as far back as possible, which my doc said was ok and as I was doing well he said there was no need to have   Physio which surprised me, don't get despondent, just take your time I am sure it will all come together eventually, good luck, Graham
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I feel like the new knee doesn't belong there. I am at 130 degrees but I'm having a hard time bending my knee when walking. My scar always feels like it's going to rip open and it still constantly aches. I still have trouble sleeping, wake up at 3am everyday in agony. Not sure I made the right choice having this surgery. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I would say you are ahead of the game in the bend and about normal in the scar tissue level. Massageing vitamin e into the scar 2-3 times a day will help heal the tissue. Continue with exercises as they are needed to stretch soft tissue and help it become stronger and more pliable
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up