8 weeks on citalopram and horrible anxiety attack

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

hello, I've just come across this page and love how supportive everyone is. I had PND after the birth of my third child and took 20mg citalopram for nearly 4 years. I came off it at Easter and was doing really well until the end of October when out of the blue I had a full on anxiety/panic attack. I was floored for a week and put straight back on 20mg, the side effects were horrendous but I knew it would work eventually. I've been fine for weeks now and felt on an even keel until Christmas morning when I was over whelmed by panic. I've been taking 2mg of diazepam to cope, but obviously this is a short term solution. What was most upsetting was that I was at home snuggled up with my kids on the sofa when the anxiety took hold, this is my safe/happy place. Is this a blip? Will I feel better again soon? All advice gratefully received 😀

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caroline sorry to hear your not feeling great at the moment! Yes it is a blip and it will pass I'm having one too at the moment my anxiety seems to be really bad today but we have to remind ourselves this will happen until the meds are back In our system fully! I was on escitalopram for 10 years as I too had pnd after my second child was born and it took ages to feel really well again and I stayed on a low dose to keep it under control! I too tried to come off them several times but each time I was floored again! Was doing really until June this year then wham a massive break down so they switched me to citalopram eventually after trying sertraline! I heave been on them 11 weeks now 20mg and the last couple of weeks have been so much better then wham these last two days not great so yes we have to cope the best we can but I'm sure we will all get there! Be kind to yourself xxxx
  • Posted

Hello Caroline...

It's awful isn't it when the anxiety an panic creeps on you out of nowhere I too was sat with my little girl when mine started!

I've been of citalopram for around 5 week now had my ups an downs coming of them but can't handle the way they made me I was on them for s year I would never go back on them. I did get panicky around 2 weeks ago u woke up anxiety through the roof panic crying feeling down after 2-3 days it started getting better but I went to the doctors about it an they tried to get me back on them... They just throw these drugs at you now a days. I said no I went to try get through it on my own. You will have ups an downs Hun don't be too quick to restart them if you decide to come of them again... Don't get me wrong if I suffered again badly with depression I'm still open to anti depressants just not these ones but I was told by many people who have suffered with it an have been down the tablet route then came off them to just try get through it yourself like you said they don't help the just mask it but for how long ??

Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Hi Aimee

I too have pnd from my last kid. 10 years taking 20mg and 10mg for last 3,years but so afd to come off them I am very confident working mom and the shoulder for every one else and my closest friends plus my pharmacy can't believe I take these drugs but I can't see any end to every coming off them. As Iv been to counseling and found it good but not lot more to say towards end of 6 wk session. I totally agree with u they mask and given to easily! I live in hope that one day I may be able to. Would love to hear how u came of them kindest regards x

• Posted

Hi Jessie.. I didn't have pnd, mine was a mix of things I had a baby then had my gallbladder removed an was in hospital for a week an didn't see my baby then I had an awful accident an badly burnt my leg so was home bound for a while..: things just got on top of me an I went to the doctors crying an she just gave me them... When I heard a doctor say "your depressed an these will help" I thought she must be right so I started taking them straight away... And straight away the side effects started I was crying 24/7 but was told to power through so I did after about 6 months I started thinking... Was I really that bad before taking these tablets? Did I really need them?? But I was too scared to come of them cos of the wothdrawls... So after a year I thought right it's time I went to the doctor an he tried just stopping me all together cold turkey but I had read that's not good so asked to be put on a lower dose I was on 20mg for a year then was put on 10mg for just 1 week then completely of them..: which I totally do not recommend everyone I know that's on these couldn't believe it... I should of been lowered on them slowly so 10mg for 4 week then 5 mg for 4 week an so on... So I have had a few bad days where I have felt really down an just cried for no reason to which I told myself this is just a phase it's part of the withdrawal..: I just powered through but that's when I went doctors an the first thing they said was " okay well we could put you on 10mg an see how you get on" I was like no, not at all I just wanted some reassurance as to the way I was feeling.. I have really bad IBS which causes my anxiety an makes me feel down as well as I'm poorly quite a lot .

Are you thinking of coming of them ? X

• Posted

Oh god u really have had a hard time. But huge credit to you for standing your ground and dealing with your feeling with out them . But I truly believe we all know our selves if we just listen to what out body needs.. yea I would love too but doctors dish them out but no support when u want off them! Does Ciprimil come in 5mg? Regards
    • Posted

Yes it can do or they give you 10mg an you snap it in half... I think you can do it huh my dad was on them 4 years an came off them cold turkey with no withdrawals !! If you feel like you wanna take thy step just take it you can do it if I can...
  • Posted

Hi Caroline

welcome ♥

It is probably a blip as these tend to sneak up on us, when we start feeling hopeful on our road to recovery! See how you go over the next week. If no better your doc may recommend a small increase.

Keep us posted xx if concerned at all...just post here xx

god bless x

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

I have been on and off citalopram for over 12 years since the birth of my son. There were a few years where I was off them and I was doing ok. Last year I had a breakdown, I had a job that required me travel and train people in leadership so I always had to be positive and you can imagine not everyone is positive about leadership training. I am such an upbeat person and high energy but it took its toll on me and I felt drained. With four boys and studying uni I felt I couldn't cope. So I went back on the meds. In the last few months I started to wean myself off them to 5mg every second day and was doing well. But I thought with Christmas coming up I thought I would increase them, now I feel like that was a mistake. I sat there at Christmas with my boys and family and felt miserable, when I know I should be happy I felt overwhelmed like I do now. I know now it's the meds so I am not sure whether to keep going or stop. It's school holidays here is Australia and I am off for the 6weeks, so I wanted to stay on top of it. Anyone's thoughts.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up