8 weeks post ankle ORIF

Posted , 5 users are following.

I broke my right ankle on 08/01/16 and had surgery 2 days later. Started PT 2 days ago ( very painful ),

I guess it gets better later.

is there anything instead of the "boot" to sleep in?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I broke my ankle and dislocated my foot on 17/8/16 had orif surgery 19 th august then a new cast 2 weeks later had that cast of Monday after 5 weeks was given air boot but told I only needed to wear it when out and about walking so take it of for long periods of sofa sitting and bed, I feel boot does give me that extra support for weight barring but I feel a bare foot gives you the chance to move ankle and try to get some life back into foot , didn't know anyone had to wear such a heavy boot to bed , but have seen from people on here that simular injuries can be treated very differently depending on doctor/ surgeon

• Posted

Hi, Frank. Trimalleoar fracture 8/14, antibiotics then surgery 8/25. Was NWB in a cast and I just got into boot 2 days ago. My doctor's instructions are same as Wendy's, boot only when walking. I think it is because doctor wants me to do ROM exercises (wearing compression stocking under boot). Not wearing the boot makes it more comfortable.

• Posted

Thank you all for comments.

What a relief not wearing boot to sleep and while on couch, bed or seating.

My Doctor is a trauma DPM with over 3k surgeries, I was told he is one of the best in my area, I guess his staff was supposed to give more boot wearing instruction.

Started therapy, 2nd session, very very painful. Does it get better? and when?

• Posted

Hey I'm allowed to Take my boot off for sleeping and just have it on when walking. Lots of different advice on here it just depends on ur doctor. I would ask your doc about taking it off to sleep.

I'm doing my own PT at home saves me all the cab fares to the hospital. It is painful just take regular pain relief med every 4 hours.

Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.