8 weeks post op and dull back ache!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I'm 8 weeks post op of TKR and doing well although my back is really aching and I have that stiffness behind the knee.  I'm managing about 4 hours sleep before waking up, usually because I've moved to a position that my knee doesn't like. It is getting easier and I can now walk without a stick mostly. Why is my back such a problem?  Is it because I've been lopsided for so long I wonder?  If so, what should I do to strengthen my back?  Thanks all!  I love this forum it's so helpful. X

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

Elaine, do you have an upright exercise bike?  If you have, then I'd suggest using it without holding on the bars (but don't fall off!).  You tend to use your core muscles more then but it's not too challenging.  My leg length is longer than it was (over 2 cm) on the operated knee because it was bowing out quite badly before the op and is now straight, so I'm thinking that might be causing mild backache at times.  It all affects the hip and spine, doesn't it.

• Posted

I haven't but can use one st my gym where I use the pool. Core is probably shot to bits. X

• Posted

I was using two sticks at one time because of knees and core muscles really suffered, so gradually I cut down to one stick and then none and just struggled to walk at all instead, but I did start using the upright bike as I said and that did make a difference.  But as Marilyn said, stretching is relevant too - I sometimes feel a tight feeling in upper thigh and back and hadn't thought about stretching!:-)))

• Posted

Sorry, that should have been AuntEG!
  • Posted

I started experiencing low back pain after I started walking more. I think it was because I was still walking "funny", that is, not walking correctly because of either pain or stiffness in my knees. I told my PT and she had me look at myself walking in a mirror and helped me correct my walk.

• Posted

Thanks elize I do think you're right I am walking funny so annoying but makes sense.

• Posted

STRETCH!!!! Will help like crazy. Hamstring, adductor, abductor, quadriceps google and find one that works good for you. I have had no back pain post op bilateral pkr nov 16 . I stretch every day. All those knee muscles are attached to the hips!!

Good luck

:D

• Posted

Yeh I feel I want to stretch. Thanks. Will do.
    • Posted

Let me know if it helps! Just dont rush through it. 10sec or 2 min. You'll find you actually can take a deep breath. I didnt realize how tight my whole body was and the shallow breathing i was doing from all the pain.

:D

• Posted

Hi Elaine

The only way is up!

You are on the home strait. The back is because your gait has, once again, changed. It will take a while for you to even up. If you want to kick start that maybe see a Chiropractor who will make sure your hips are even & do any adjustments to keep your spine in alignment.

I saw my Chiropractor today, complaining of a bad shoulder & she told me that as I was now hobbling on the OTHER leg my spine was slightly out of alignment, which also caused problems with my shoulder! Who'd a thunk it!!

Anyway as I said you are getting there.

Well done you & worry not.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Talking of that Marilyn, has anyone else noticed their operated leg is longer than it was?  I'd got a curvature of the spine because the arthritis had bowed and shortened the leg that's just been done, and was told to raise my shoes on that side by 2cm gradually but as quickly as was feasible.  Now, that leg is longer than the other leg.  So wearing both shoes at the same level but not doing anything with the raised ones until the other leg is done because who knows how they'll end up LOL!

• Posted

Hi Chris

Yes I have noticed the right leg is longer, only slightly, as it was shorter before I think ... bonus.

Maybe when I get the other one done I'll be taller!!! At 5ft 3 I could do with a little more height!! Lol never thought of TKR as a way of boosting height lol

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Yes I might take a trip back to see my physio. Gait has changed, and also being in that twisted position climbing stairs as only going up and down like a toddler! Can't e doing me much good.  I truly had forgotten what a blooming awful journey this is.  I do seem to remember a back ache when I had the other one done two years ago, but had forgotten eveyrthing' 

• Posted

LOL!  It's when all our long trousers become crops that we worry LOL!

• Posted

I will be glad to get rid of long pants,I hate the feeling of the fabric on my knee. I keep trying to toughen up the scare but not doing to well on that. I look kind of funny running around with one pants leg rolled up over the knee and the other down!!  But I have been known to do that several times recently..
    • Posted

Yeah TKR can really rob you of your dignity, one way or another.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Lol and who cares ... we've been to hell and back so we can do as we please 😂

• Posted

You are right on that...everyone said  tkr will be easy compared to child birth...well I had two children without meds and at least the pain was over once the baby was out! With this knee who knows how long this hell will last...LOL
    • Posted

Back, I totally agree with you! Compared to this, childbirth was easy!!!
    • Posted

I've had four children and I'd rather have had four more 😂

• Posted

Yep, childbirth is over & done with once baby is delivered! I had 3 with gas & air for the last (that was strange though, the g&a!!)

What trojans we all are for going through this!

Take care

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Only just got these through because of connection problems but tears of laughter now.  I haven't actually gone out (but have answered the door!) with one leg rolled up LOL!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.