8 weeks post op and so scared ive wrecked my recovery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Please can someone reassure me. I broke my ankle (fibula) on the 11th July and had a temp cast on for 2 weeks. On my next consultation I was too that the fracture was a displaced fracture and I will require surgery to realign the bones. This surgery was carried out 28th July where I had a plate and 2 syndesmotic screws fitted. This meant 3 months non weight bearing, which I was upset about at the time due to being able to get to and work for all of that period. I am now nearly 9 weeks post op and starting to see the light at the end of this long long road and have started pt exercises. However, I was round a friends on Saturday night and whilst using my crutches one of them got tangled in the end of a bit of curtain draped in the floor which caused me to step back twice putting my full weight on the nwb ankle. It hurt straight away and now I have pain on the right side of the ankle at the incision point of where the screws were fitted. I'm so so scared and upset that I have wrecked my recovery after coming so far. What I want to know has anyone else had a similar experience, I cant believe that just that one slip up can cause such a set back but as the pain is worse I'm really scared it has. Wish everyone well who is going through a similar situation and any advice or reassurance will be greatly welcomed. Thank you

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steph 

i had my left foot operated on twelve years ago called a triple athrodeisis I now comming up to ten weeks after a a triple hindfoot athrodiesis on the twenty fourth of July pins in ankle plate front of foot and a twelve inch pin from base of heel into the shin ..two week ago I slipped while going to watch a football match I had pain in it at the time and for about a week later but has settled down ..I had a X-ray on it last week all was fine doc said I can now partion weight bear so what I would say to you is don't worry all will be fine you have probably strained it and it will and it will settle down ...it would have been worse if it happened weeks after surgery ..your foot is almost ready fuesed after four to six weeks ..remenber it will be part painfull till you build up muscle once cast off so don't worry ..my first op complety sucessful 

• Posted

Hi Pauli,

Thank you ever so much for your reply. You have made me feel so much better. I am waiting for a surgery date to have the screws removed which will be some time after 13th Oct and then can start to try and walk again. Thank you for sharing your experience and I wish you all the very best in your recovery too

• Posted

Yes agree with previous poster it woul hurt if the weight went fully on the Ankle but more from the surrounding area that has been inactive since the op.

If anything was loose you would be in serious pain so i think you will be ok after it all settles down.

• Posted

Hi Brian,

Thank you so much for your reply. They drum into you at hospital the importance of non weight bearing and the worse case scenarios if you don't adhere to it. Which is all very well but leaves the patient a nervous wreck until the next x-ray/checkup. Again thank you so much for taking the time to reassure this nervous wreck of a patient.

• Posted

Hi. I had full dislocation of my ankle and broke 3 bones which caused me to have no structure. I had an op where 3 plates and screws were applied. I'm week 5 post op and none weight bearing. I use a walking frame although I have crutches too. I am frightened to death to use the crutches for fear of falling , so you are braver than me and I feel your pain. I'm hoping to be going in a boot shortly and hobble with crutches. I still get pain. I think you will be ok, it will hurt as you have had an operation and you are not fully recovered. I still get pain where my incision scar is and feel as if it's the plates. The pain comes and goes. I would be extra careful using crutches and I wouldn't be going out on my own using them. Don't be discouraged either . You are doing great and we can hurt ourselves even without surgery but if you are very worried you can always phone the hospital and ask their advice. All the best with your recovery and believe me sometimes I feel scared.
    • Posted

Hi Susan,

Thank you and how lovely it is for you all to take the time and reply when you are going through it all yourselves. Sorry to see what you've been through and totally feel your pain, it really is a tough thing physically and mentally. At first I was terrified to use my crutches and go out of the house full stop, but after having my cast off and aircast boot fitted I gained more confidence and felt more secure on them. I have my 2nd physio session tomorrow so will speak to them about it too, but I do feel more assured that it is more likely to be a straining of unused muscles causing the pain rather than anything more serious such as broken screws, re-fracture or displacement as my first fears were. Again thank you for your very kind words and encouragement and from a fellow patient I wish you all the very best in your recovery too, take care.

• Posted

Hi Steph

I am thirteen weeks post op (mid foot fusion). Ten weeks in plaster and now in Aircast boot. I fell using crutches three days after my op, tried to save myself and ended up crashing my foot toes first into the floor. Like you I was really afraid I'd done some harm. Ended up in A&E where I was assured

that it would take an awful lot of force to dislodge the screws etc. and that

the reason they go on so much about non weight bearing is simply because

they need you to give the fusion time to heal. My X-rays showed it hadn't

moved at all.

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Ann,

Thank you, the pain has subsided considerably last night and this morning. I am so grateful to you and all the other replies received giving me the much needed peace of mind. Wishing you all the very best in your recovery too. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.