8 weeks today

Posted , 8 users are following.

Cannot believe where the time has gone.

Still have a wee limp, where I need to keep working on the muscle.

Not using the crutches at home and only one out.

The pain i groin has gone away now to when I exercise.

Physiotherapist at hospital are going to massage in out patients for me to help it. Although I have already seen my own private one and was able to walk limp free afterwards until today!

Anyway one more month off and then back to work, thats if I get my job back, which I have to reapply for!

Due to lack of children within school and budget over spend from previous head and also budget cuts!

Ann

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ann,

Just like you, I am joyed and astonished at how quickly we manage to recuperate from such a major operation. For me the only reminder is the aching leg muscles but that is because I cannot resist digging the garden now the sun is here. Before the operation at the end of December I saw myself in a wheelchair for months but in reality I was enjoying a near normal life within just a few weeks. I can hear my next door neighbour roaring off on his motorbike and he is only nine weeks post op. For those just about to have a THR it won't be the nightmare that you imagine it to be, and you will be free of all that pain you have endured in the past.

• Posted

Hi Ann and John

Five weeks weeks tomorrow for me. I fully agree with the positive sentiments you've both expressed. My pain is noticeably reducing - codeine twice a day and paracetamol three times now. Looking forward to getting off the codeine and having a celebratory glass of wine...

I haven't used crutches indoors for a fortnight, and did a 20 minute walk round the block yesterday using just one. Today I walked into town and back (about 2km total) which was just excellent. Two crutches for that, as there are so many people, dogs and cars to dodge around.

I'm lucky - no hint of a limp at present. Must not overdo it though!

We are all different, and maybe we three have been very fortunate - but it definitely hasn't been the nightmare I dreaded.

Joan

• Posted

I love reading people's positive feedback it really gives me hope. whilst I know it's really down to the individual in how well you heal and the speed etc but I'm convinced a positive attitude helps and how active you are after but knowing how well others do after I know is helping me look towards the op. I'm sure as well we adapt too well over time to the pain reduced mobility etc we experience pre OP that any reduced pain etc is wonderful. I made the daft decision yesterday to knock out a dose of codeine thinking I was ok - well was awake most of the night with pain( even tho taken my night time dose of painkillers) ended up getting up to ease it.

anyway what my ramblings abt is well done all of you and thx for posting you're helping me so much .

• Posted

two weeks today since my THR and I can't believe how well I am doing, after years of pain and poor mobility. Only discomfort is muscle ache from actually being able to use them and some tenderness around the scar. I'm walking without a limp and only use two crutches when outside, which in this beautiful weather, I've managed a small walk each day. I've finished the codeine and paracetamol and never needed the morphine, so pleased with that and now my body is getting back to normal. As everyone says, you have to have determination, doing the exercises with the sense not to overdo things, good diet and plenty of rest. Good luck everyone with your journey.

Megan

• Posted

well done Megan,

It takes time, today I walked a little way without a crutch outside but had to use it eventually. And yes on day like today its worth i. I still get a little ache at times but a stretch out and exercise helps! Mine is my muscle but it may just take a bit longer. Yes keep doing exercises, even now I am still doing mine and slowly that muscle is getting better!

• Posted

Well done Ann, and good luck with the job, I'm 9 weeks in and after a difficult 1st 2 weeks which was expected doing the right exercises the strength, stability and mobility have come on in leaps and bounds, managed to jog 5km on treadmill yesterday in 40mins, still have some soreness of IT band after resting or driving but its no issue, for anyone worried about the surgery don't be, read the positive comments here, get it done and don't look back, as many people say on here don't over do it.

Sean

• Posted

Hi "my message" not working but hope you're still on track

• Posted

Hi I am good, only using one crutch on longer walks now . Spent last Friday walking around Rochester with friends had a really nice day and hip was good. (one crutch only)

Have been given further stretches from physiotherapist today.

Still have a limp but I know i it will be fine once the muscle has healed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.