8 weeks total knee replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

hi  . I had my tk r on dec  3 , doing  well  ... or was ... Does any one have  that tight pain around lower leg  below the knee about 3-4 inches  down .i have severe pain and like an elastic or tight  sock .

i am on gavapentin  only.

0 likes, 13 replies

Report / Delete

13 Replies

• Posted

My tight pain radiates around the left of the knee and this keeps swelling, so for me I am presuming it is linked. I am only on co-codamol and neoproxen anti inflamatory. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had TKR nesarly four years ago so trying to think back.

I do remember having the same pain as you and Dr said it would settle down which it did.

I think it is just the muscles building up asgain to be honest.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Mamabear,

i had bilateral Tkr in October.  I did have pain below the knee and up the outside.  I fact, 3 1/2 months later, if  and when I get pain, it's everywhere bar the knees.  They're pretty good but they do play up sometimes.  I'm afraid it is common whith  tkr's.  You're very lucky if you have no pain.  It's a heck of an operation.

good luck with your recovery.  Anythings got to be better than the pain we were in before the operation.

Sue xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am 19 days post op and I get a lot of pain and cramp in my calf. When it happens I put an ice pack underneath which seems to help so I understand exactly what you are experiencing, my physiological told me it will get better in time.

Just remember to rest & elevate whenever possible.

Let me know how you get on xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

One possibility....during surgery you have a tourniquet around the leg to control bleeding. Often this can and will cause nerve damage. As nerves are the slowest part of this process to heal, the pain can be long lasting and mobile, meaning it can move around and reoccur. One of the more unusu aspects of the is the reoccurance of pain. About the time you think you are done with one phase of healing and have forgotten about it.....boom, it bounces back. May only last a day or 2 or maybe a few weekks but goes away. Try alternating some moist heat and ice to that area only. Do not use heat on the incision. When you ice.......ice the back of the knee the same as you do the incision part. Up your water intake to make sure all of the tissue is completely hydrated at all time. Dehydrated soft tissue just puts more pressure on the damaged areas.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I had my tkr on left knee on December 10. I am at61/2 wks. I was doing well until today. I am having more pain than usual & had a hard time at pt today.

I feel like there is a tight band around the front of the knee.really thought I'd be much better by now!

I was off all drugs , but went back to Advil today. I wish all these different stages had been better related to us the patient.

I am not familiar w/ the drug o mentioned.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes it is so much easier if you are told at the start how long this likely to take. They were very honest with me fortunately and said it would be about a year before I really began to feel the benefits.

Sorry if that sounds a long time to you at the moment.

So this is really early days for you.

Keep up the exercises, it does get better.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

6 weeks is really very soon to be trying to make it without pain meds. Its sort of the 1st benchmark as far as the rehab process. Most people are just getting to the point of considering driving. The band can be a couple of things including the bruising from the tourniquet that's used to control blood flow during surgery. Keep working to strengthen the quads and icing the entire area several times a day. It may take several mode weeks or even months but it will eventually go away. Its one of those areas that sort of blindsided you because it can come and go in intensity and affects everyone to a certain degree.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for replying to me. I appreciate ur input. Sounds like u have had a lot of experience . Sadly. I wish u the best!

I chose to stop the meds because they messed me up in other ways. I have never been one to take a lot of meds. I react more strongly than most people.

I have started to take Advil when I'm really hurting or before I go to pt.

Today my physio really stretched me and I am feeling a lot better. I realize I need to stretch & exercise much mor on days I don't go to pt.

Again, I wish u and ur wife the best

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes, I did. My tkr was 14 mets ago. I can't rem how long the tight band lasted. It went for a week or so and then came back. It slowly disappears though with exercise. I still have to exercise with stretches or it gets tight and painful. Good luck on your journey. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

The pain might be local but the cause and cure maybe global. After strengthening and stretching everything around the knee my knee pain is less.  ​Also I have lost 20lbs that help.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes I have extreme tightness in my knee after 10 wks. Also pain for the past  week feels like it's real tender and something moving inside my knee. 
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up