8 yr old boy with sever throat pain - might be stomach related.

Posted , 2 users are following.

My son has been complaining of stomach pain for months.  Always at night so ended up with out of hrs doc and A&E - always told constipation. Finally went to my own GP she said definitely not constipation - pain is right over his stomach, he was addmitted to hosptial as pain continued to get worse - initally all doc said was constipation. Finally did camera and said his stocmach was inflamed and gave him a course of acid blocker. Zoton. The night he came home he started getting really bad pain in his throat -'like someone is pinching it' crys with pain and it goes on from about 9pm to 2am - last night 5am. Returned to GP twice - got yeast infection treatment, galvascon, anitbotic - we keep him sitting up at night - etc nothing works.  My GP told me to give it until Wendensday and see if there is an inprovement. She is wonderful but I am worried that she is thinking that we are exaggerating  bit because she also recommened  a play therapist!  I am going to hold out until Wendesday before contacting her again but it is so difficult becuase he is really sore.  He had his tonsilles out last year and didn't complain about it once so I do think he is a child that can tolerate a fair amount of pain. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Eok, when my gastritis was diagnosed my stomach was swollen through inflammation, and the acid-blocker I was put on helped that go down to a degree over two months, at which point I weaned off the blocker due to how unbearably dry it made my throat and mouth. Then I dealt with the gastritis with diet, which is ongoing.

Obviously to find out the cause of your poor boy's stomach inflammation would be a vital thing, but you could look at his diet, learn from this site and elsewhere about the various foods that cause trouble for some people - eg., high-fat, high-salt, acidic, hot and spicy, chocolate, tomatoes, carbonated drinks, etc. Even butter hits me, and did so even before all of my trouble if I had too much, while my nephew can't have it at all, and his stomach is fine. Not that butter is a bad fat, quite the opposite. But if a person happens to have an intolerance or bad reaction to any food, then of course it is best to avoid it. But, again, without knowing why your son's stomach is inflamed, you can't assume that foods are involved at all, you can only study the matter and note if any food makes things worse, and avoiding that could help.

Hopefully the professionals will get to the bottom of the trouble soon, hard though it is for you to bear your son's pain in the meantime.

• Posted

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply, I have never posted on any board before but I felt so helpless early - especially facing the night- that I couldn't think of anything else to do.  He has only been on the blocker for a week so I guess I need to give it a bit of time and hopefully the sore throat is just a side effect as the dry mouth was in your case. Hope you are feeling well and I will let you know if I find out anything else

• Posted

Hi Eok,

Of course if acid was reaching your son's throat through reflux, that too could cause the nipping feeling and so on that he experiences, and when the Zoton lowers the stomach's production of acid, the throat trouble could ease. It would take several days or so for the Zoton (lansoprazole) to lower the acid, and I think it lowers it further in time, and this will help allow the inflamed stomach to heal. I expect H. Pylori will be checked for at some point, as that can cause stomach issues for people.

Obviously when a stomach is inflamed, it suffers if meals that are too large or foods that are too irritating are eaten, so several smaller meals per day are better than a few large ones, as large ones will stretch the stomach and cause more pain. Bye.

• Posted

Hi just one thought are you giving your son anything like ibuprofen for the pain, if so stop as this causes stomach pain.  You also mention antibiotics they can burn as well.  I have spent the last year correcting damage to my stomach done by anti b's and ibuprofen which I needed following a small operation. I found out the hard way as I was also taking supplements to try to make me feel better only to find that the plastic capsules on pills buned my stomach.  Just a thought. Hope he feels better soon, I have a 16 year old and hate it when he is ill you feel so helpless. 
    • Posted

Hi, it was mainly three courses of antibiotics and paracetamol painkillers for three abscesses related to a troublesome wisdom tooth that sealed my fate. The dentist rightly wanted to try to save the tooth, but three months later, after the third abscess, he gave up and took the tooth out. How I wish he'd done so at the start, for two days later, on my birthday, my stomach gastritis hell began. Couldn't believe it. Had it been one abscess to be treated I would likely have have been ok, but three obviously caused damage that I'm still living with the consequences of, though better than what I was.

I hope this poor lad gets sorted. Eok will really be suffering here too. One of my nephews had a stomach issue as a boy of three, for a few days, with crying every several minutes due to pain. It was unbearable to watch and hear, as you say. What a great moment it was when the periods between pains and tears became twenty minutes and then stopped altogether.

• Posted

Thank you for your replies -  I have stopped the ibuprofen. And I think that finally he is beginning to turn a corner. I spoke too soon - got to go his throat is killing him!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.