8th day on increased dose of Citalopram 40mg

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to these forums... so nice to meet you!

Need some advice and positive personal experiences of people who have increased their dose from 20mg to 40mg of Citalopram?

I started it last year, after an awful 2 years of depression caused by anxiety related to the traumatic loss of my dad and generally being a little sensitive soul!

I was reluctant at first to start medication and had counselling that was effective and helped with the ssri's- however the depression/anxiety soon returned... I sat with it for about 2 months before I couldn't take it anymore.

Started 10mg for 3 days then moved up to 20mg. Had an awful 2 weeks... increased anxiety, couldn't keep food down, couldn't sleep. Was so desperate I stuck with it, and after about 3 weeks my mood started to lift. Was able to 'feel' just felt like me again and laugh and cry and feel angry, normal emotions!

Felt great and wondered why I didn't seek medical help sooner... then about 3 weeks ago after a few stressful events started to feel like I was dipping, anxious with friends, worrying excessively so started 30mg for about 6 days (spoke to doc about this) got impatient and upped to 40! (Possibly too quickly)

Have been on this dose for about 8 days and have increased anxiety, low motivation to go out with friends, the only people I can face are my mum and boyfriend and that's it. Feel so sorry for my flat mate who I love to bits and feel it's so not fair on her!

If anyone has increased from 20mg to 40mg did you feel rubbish at first and how long did it take you to feel better at the increased dose?

I don't like to think my body has got used to the meds and hope that my body will get used to the higher dose! D:

Thinking of anyone going through it at the moment. X

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Loise

hope this helps!  I increased from 20 to 30 about two months ago and it took the best part of 3 weeks to settle again.  Went right back to the beginning with awful anxiety, loss of appetite, feeling sick, you name it!!  However after that time it gradually just all went away...until I accidentally managed to take two of the 20 mg instead or a 10mg and a 20mg.  So I increased to 40, accidentally, and that took a week to calm down again and that was just one dose of 40mg if you see what I mean!!!!

So yes it will all calm down again, just give it two to three weeks, if you're anything like I am!

Debbie x

• Posted

Thanks Debbie, that is so so helpful! Sometimes we just need a little bit of reassurance to help ride it through! I think the anxious dread makes you doubt it sometimes! X
    • Posted

Omg I so needed to read this, myself and Louise are in the same boat it seems. Please please let this pass and the sun come out again xx
    • Posted

Hi Louise

You're welcome. Sometimes you feel like it's never going to go away but it will. Some people are great from the outset, some take weeks, others take months but eventually it all kicks in.  I started end of November and started to feel slightly better within about 3 weeks but had what we all call blips in between. Only in the last month have I really felt back to normal. Don't let that put you off as we are all different and we all need different strengths of the med. 

Another user on here is Katecogs. Read some of her posts.  She is amazeballs!!! X

• Posted

Hi Loz. I was the same when I first found this forum! It made me keep going to be honest as I'm sure I would have given up...doctors are useless!!!

It will come out again, you just have to persevere. Damn hard I know but just keep going. A lot of people stop after a few weeks and sometimes that just isn't long enough. Believe me when I say it's one of the most debilitating feelings I've ever had and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

hang in there xx

• Posted

Thanks Debbie, I'm actually starting feel more depressed which at the beginning was only anxiety.

Did you feel this way aswell?

I feel very hopeless, today and most of the day yesterday. Though feel like this is a symptom of depression which wasn't my main symptom before.

Feel like giving up (not in that way!) lol soooo gutted to be feeling this way again! Thought it was all behind me >sad

• Posted

Hi Louise.  Wow, now you mention it, yes I did. It's amazing how you forget when you feel better.  It was only anxiety for me to and then I started to feel very down a few weeks in. That gradually lifted too. I could probably make an A4 page of side effects that I had to be honest!! 

I was very up and down, mainly down. I know when I started taking it at the end of November that I felt dreadful and very scared. Then on Christmas Day, something lifted and I was fine for about 2 weeks.  Then I got the dreaded monthlies and it all kicked off again so I thought maybe it was hormone related.  But it never went away once my period had finished and I remained an angsty mess until I increased my dose at the beginning of March.  That took about 3 weeks to settle, got increased anxiety, loss of appetite, insomnia etc.  But after that I've been fine, waking normally, no instant anxiety like before.  I have had the odd fleeting moment of anxiety since then, but it's seconds and although I think 'OMG not again' it just goes. I even managed to fly to America at the beginning of April which a few weeks ago I would never have done it. I remember feeling so peed off when I had a good couple of weeks and then it all kicked off again.  X

• Posted

Hi Debbie

I can't remember if I replied to you! I hope I did!! That message has given me strength. Day 12 today and I had a good day yest,today bit more anxious & wobbly. I'm fighting the anxiety and praying it lessens soon. I won't be beaten !!

• Posted

Hi Loz

Thats the spirit!  I know it's damn hard to keep going but I think it's the way forward, keep on pushing through the horrid feelings. They will lessen in time. When I read others people's experience at the start of all this, I hoped I'd be one of the ones who felt great in days....that didn't happen obviously. The anxiety is probably the worst feeling I've ever felt...I'd rather give birth to an elephant without pain relief!!

Keep going, do not give up! X

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Thanks again for replying. I'm struggling today, still waking at4 even with a 5mg pill. Terrified this isn't going to work. Got sweats and jittery and that god awful pit in my tummy. This is breaking my heart xx

• Posted

Hi loz I've been following your thread and I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling today. I know the feeling you are talking about and it's so horrible. Even though you might not feel like it I would try and eat something even just a little. Also have you thought about scaling back to alternate days for your 40 mg until more of it gets into your system? I know it might sound daft but in the past I've increased from 20 to 22.5 just by cutting the 10mg tablet into 4 and this has reduced the side effects considerably and then gone onto 25mg after a few weeks. It's slower but at least I could function during the day. And I did feel my depression lift slightly even with that minor increase. I think the thing about cit and other ssris is that they quickly start to lift your energy and that in turn increases the anxiety until it all levels out. Best wishes for the rest of the day

• Posted

Aww bless you, honestly it will get better. I know it feels like like it's never going to happen. The panic I felt was incredible. I'd be phoning the docs every 5 mins, my mum had to sit with me every day. I would wake like you at 4 and almost immediately the anxious tummy would start, then I'd feel sick and I'd want to run away from it. And unless someone has been there, they just cannot understand how debilitating and dreadful it is. I had to deal with my kids and even they scared me!! Do you have any diazepam to help when it's really bad? I had some and took them on the odd occasion when I really couldn't take it any more. X

• Posted

Hi Louise

I'm on day 10 and feel terrible, can't stop crying no energy can't sleep, feel sick. Weight falling off me. I'm trying so hard to hang in there too, I've a lovely teenage lad and I'm desperately trying to be normal round him. I've got my parents here cause I'm useless ATM and so scared. Got sleeping pills have only been taking 5 mg a night but they're starting to lose their effect so may have to take 2. It's so frightening and I'm at my wits end. Trying to make it to the 2 wk mark. I was on 20mg for years then due to stress up to 30 for 4 wk's as the panic attacks set in, now 40mg and too am wondering if it's too much. The not knowing is the terrible xx

• Posted

Perhaps Louise we can stay in touch with this journey? Sending strength xx
    • Posted

Hi Loz, I think we just need to try our best to keep positive and patience is key!

It would be great to know if you are feeling better within the coming weeks!

Debbie's reply is a relief and I think I'm going to try and be kind to myself and allow my body to get used to the change! We may feel worse before we feel better...

That's what I'm trying to remember anyway! D:

Stick with it and and keep me updated of your progress!

Louise x

• Posted

Hi Louise

How u doing Hun? Today is day 12 for me. I had my first brighter whole day yest, up till then it was the evenings that have been better. Still waking at 3/4am and that's with a 5mg sleeping pill. It wasn't a perfect day , don't get me wrong, had a couple of wobbles with ridiculous thoughts, but I fought them off, telling myself it's just anxiety trying to get at me.today is more of a battle and anxiety is trying to get me. Got my parents here thank the Lord, need the distraction. But I'm not giving in. I'm taking 20mg am and 20mg early eve as I couldn't handle the sickness. Will slowly close the gap between them. Really hope you're winning Louise xx

• Posted

Hey Loz,

Just seen your reply!

Turned off email notifications as didn't expect so many comments! Lol

Tbh, very up and down still!

That's funny you said that I've changed mine to a 20 in the morning 20 eve too! It seems to be working better for you?

Gonna stick to that I think and let my body get used to it!

Had a reallly flat day but pushed myself to go for a Pilates class and a sauna with my best friend which was actually a nice distraction!

So pleased you have your parents there! I suppose a positive, is at times like these you really realise those who really love ya! smile

Hope you continue on the up! Xx

• Posted

Hi Louise

God you're better than me I couldnt face a class yet. Far to panicky. I'm racked with it today. So utterly shattered and scared xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.