9 and 1/2 weeks and a little grrrrrr with calf pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys and gals well I'm at the 9 1/2 weeks mark ,yes yes some will say still early but I have great bend at this stage,without any pt and surgeon still bans me from any water until 3 mths ,don't ask this is his anti infection policy as I am Under warranty as he would say...lol

I'm lucky in a way I know from reading alot of posts etc,I can bend fairly well,I can ride a bike with seat at max extension well I did the other day now I'm a little swollen again and have been told off by surgeon for doing to much...yet he says I can work but my frustration is how do I work if I swell up from.a little exercise and swelling and today I have lots of stiffness after sitting and pain in the calf along the fibia up where the knee is or just under on outside of leg and runs down the outside of calf grrrrrr that's my whinge

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi .. I never had a pt either did it all myself .. but please listen to him about over doing which I did and due to that I caused a bursitis which I've had now for 4 mths extremely painful (btw I'm just on 10mths post op).  So much so I had to go back on oxycontin and start using a crutch again which I'm still using when I leave the house.  I have had one ultrasound guided injection into it but it didn't work sad am now seeing a physio to help as my calfs are as tight as too, in 2 weeks I go back for a booster injection to see if that will help if not it will be up to the physio to try and rid it and make sure I'm only lightly exercising so as not to make it worse.  It's normal especially where you're at to have swelling after exercise just always remember to ice ice ice, can never ice too much!  Also you might find a heat pack helps ease your calf tightness as well as a small nobbly ball that you can rub deeply up and down your calf.  Hope all works out for you and remember we all have a different journey... cheers Tracey

• Posted

Calf stretches help?
    • Posted

Definitely agree .. seen your not long had your op it's easiet to start doing them by holding onto something eg. benchtop etc and stand on your toes you should feel your calf stretching and keep repeating.

• Posted

Or....hands on wall shoulder height. One foot forward, one back, bend front knee, feel calf on other leg stretch. Alternate. 5 mins. Can't do any damage unless you fall over!

• Posted

Forgot lunges Lyn!  Good suggestion I do them daily smile

• Posted

Hi, I zoomed in on the bursitis mention.  I had a hip replacement 8 years ago, making that leg longer than the good leg, and I developed a bursitis in the months following. Omg, I have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it, to no avail. I have had injections into it, into my nerves from the spine, occ therapy, built up shoes, nothing has got rid of it. I am at my wits end, almost every night my sleep is disturbed by pain. Oh, to add insult to injury I now have a scoliosis of the spine plus I needed the same side knee replaced 3 months ago. I have been seeing the Pain Clinic for over 6 years with this problem. Only once have I had any positive response from the pain, but that only lasted a few months. Oh, nearly forgot, after the hip replacement it dislocated twice, resulting in a revision. I never knew I could scream, and scream I did when your leg comes out of its socket, absolutely awful.  So, I'm more than a little peed off with it all.  Has anyone else had any good result from a bursitis, or am I condemned to put up with it for the rest of my life?   Thank god I am at the older half of my life, I couldn't cope if I thought I had to put up with the pain for 30 or 40 years. 

• Posted

Hi, so far I've had bursitis for 4mths I'm in my early 50's and I couldn't imagine having for it as long as you have sad  Currently I've had one injection the next and final one is a booster injection and also having pt to see if it can help.  1st injection didn't help but physio has a bit .. when I first got it it was so painful it would bring me to tears and I've got a strong pain theshold so was amazed at how painful one could get.  My dr immediately put me back on oxycontin I was still taking endone at the time .. I'm now off both as to clear my system as soon as this darn bursitis clears up I'm having my other knee done.  I was so frustrated for the first couple of months as I had to start using a crutch again for when leaving the house which I'm still relying on.  I hope that something can be done for you to cure your bursitis in the near future... Cheers Tracey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.