9 month update

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hallo guys and gals - just a quick update on 9 months post TKR. Pain gone, some stiffness some days. Can walk several miles, ride a bike and do some limited kneeling. Thought folks might also find it useful to know that it seems perfectly ok to "sunbathe" your knee - i had a great holiday in France this July in temperatures of 28 to 36 degrees and my knee was fine - didn't overheat or anything out of the norm. Flexiseq is keeping my other arthritic knee relatively pain free because i definitely do not want another op. I feel for all of you going through those few early post op months. It can be grim but it certainly gets better and i'd probably have my 2nd knee done if i could, say, be in an induced coma or such like, for those first few weeks!!!

Good luck all

Tess x

4 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Glad you're doing well tess and glad to see a positive post although flexiseq did nowt for me
  • Posted

So glad to hear all went well and that you enjoyed your holiday!

Congratulations on your great progress!

• Posted

I'm glad you are or should I say have done so well.  I'm six months after second knee replacement,  it is a long hard slog though,  but I'm getting there,  I went to St. Andrews to see the golf at weekend and walked round the course on Friday and again on Saturday,  walking is fine, but I find it stiffens the next day and I'm shattered too,  I cannot kneel comfortably having had both done,  but it is so much better being pain free walking,  I am happy with my progress but I  don't expect it to be perfect,  but I will carry on doing what I am doing,  I hope everyone else out there doing good,  jackie x
    • Posted

Hi Jackie!

My second surgery...right knee is this Friday, so I hope to be doing as well as you are six months from now!

My right knee is VERY PAINFUL, so I am actually looking forward to this next surgery. First few weeks...CRAPPY, but the payoff later is worth it.

May we ALL have lots less pain and better lives after all the treatments and surgeries!

• Posted

Good luck for Friday. At least like me we know what to expect, crappy then just do as we have been told and you will be like me pain free. Nothing better, I look forward to hearing from you next week,  take care X 
    • Posted

Will post to let you know how things go!

Is it easier KNOWING what to expect, or is it easier the FIRST TIME when you don't know all that is coming?

• Posted

Cheryl, I'll be healing with you. My bilateral TKR is this Wednesday. Hospital says I will be released to go home Friday so I've been busy cooking and freezing meals and cleaning house. Husband is really nervous about caring for me (he thought I would be going to an in-patient physical therapy facility after the hospital) so our daughter (angel)-in-law will stop in once a day to check on me. 
    • Posted

And I will be there with both of you! My 2nd TKR is on Thursday this week too!  I too have done some cooking and freezing, to ease up the pressure on hubby.
    • Posted

Truthfully I put  it off for as long as I had too,  but now I'm glad it's done. X
    • Posted

Hi, Busterbeans

I'm 7mo post op bilateral TKRs. I wish u good luck. Just remember no 2 knees heal exactly the same. It's hard not to capare them period, but when they are done together, it's impossible not to compare.

Just out of curiosity, why no impatient rehab? That is one surgery where I think impatient rehab is necessary. Are u in the US?

Regardless good luck! I am finally glad that I did it, as I'm sure u will be too!

Joyce

• Posted

My neighbor had her both knees replaced about ten years ago. Her husband took care of her at their home. It was rough, but she liked rehab at home. They set up the sofa bed in the living room, and the bathroom was just about twenty steps away on the same level. Kitchen and dining room are on the same level, and her deck is just off the dining room. She said the set-up allowed the best movement for progress.

She went from nearly being in a wheelchair prior to surgery to doing Disney World with her grandsons a year later LIKE A CHAMP!

You will be fine. Take your temperature often to guard against any infection that could sneak in! Take pain meds as needed. Keep hydrated even if it means WAAAAY too many potty trips! Eat well, stretch often, and keep positive thoughts going.

You will do GREAT!!!

THINK DISNEY WORLD!!

• Posted

It will go great!

I have been doing stuff I know I won't be able to do for awhile like shopping and enjoying my garden and going into the crawlspace for Fall and Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations.

I have a Zero Turn Cub Cadet riding mower that is SO MUCH FUN. Just cut my grass for the last time for awhile today. Will miss mowing, but my husband will get to "play" with it finally!

Take care! I will be thinking of you and BusterBeans this week! Sending prayers of calm, peace, and joy without all the pain we have had ( at least after we have those first uncomfortable days of crumminess!)

GO BAD KNEES...GO.... AWAY!!!!!

• Posted

I know what you mean! Today at Physical Therapy for my LEFT KNEE, my RIGHT KNEE (surgery on Friday this week) was REALLY misbehaving!!!

I think it is past its expiration date!!!!

Looking forward to some AWESOME PAIN MEDS at the hospital!!!

Woo! Hoo!!

(Yes, I am geared up and READY!!!)

• Posted

Thanks so much! I am VERY ready, positive about getting rid of the PAIN, and am just anxious to GET 'ER DONE!!!
    • Posted

My left knee puts my right knee to shame on stability, balance, and lack of PAIN.

RIGHT KNEE wants what LEFT KNEE has.

If RIGHT KNEE was stronger, she would BEAT UP LEFT KNEE.

See what I have to deal with???!!!

Yes, I am DEFINITELY ready to GO! GO! GO!

• Posted

My right knee will need to be done. I definitely will NOT go years bone on bone with that one. I am looking forward to hearing how the 2nd one goes for you ladies.
    • Posted

My left one was done in June. At the time in looking at X-RAYS of both knees it was OBVIOUS to me that BOTH were in bad shape. I am BONE-ON-BONE and also tilted so that I am actually walking on about an inch of BONE-ON-BONE closest to my inner knee. Looking at my X-RAYS made me sick to my stomach and AMAZED at how much damage I had done to myself in just four years since my last appointment/X-RAYS etc.

I made my appointment for surgery before I left the office! Doc said BOTH KNEES were equally bad. He only does ONE at a time, so he basically said, "Which one first?" I opted for the one that was bothering me the most at that time. It was a good call because of the two it WAS my "BETTER LEG", and it is nice and strong now, stable and ready to be my " GOOD LEG" helper for my upcoming surgery.

Thanks for the well-wishes!

I will have my phone with me at the hospital and will check in HERE as soon as I can.

This site has been GREAT! I found it after I got home from my first surgery, and it has helped tremendously having so many who are experiencing what I am experiencing and others who are veterans to the process.

Thanks to all.

I am three days and counting until my next surgery.

I'm going into THIS one better prepared and appreciate all the support!

Thanks, everyone!

Debz, we will be GREAT at this!

• Posted

Thanks, Jean!

I am ready for this awful pain to be done in this right leg! I know recovery SUCKS and there will be pain there, but the overall result is a LOT less pain, incredible stability and strength in the "fixed" knee!

Onward and upward I go!

Maybe one day YOURS will be ready. Only you will know when/ if that will be. Listen to your body. It is very smart and will help you to decide.

• Posted

THANKS YOU. You are a STAR!

Bestest -if such a word exists- of wishes

Jean xxxxxxxx

• Posted

Hi Joyce. My knees will be ConforMIS iTotal personalized implants so they should correct my poor alignment as well as be new knees. I live in the States but I've learned that there are vast differences here. Some single knee patients stay in the hospital for maybe 4 days or even go to inpatient rehab. Here in Pennsylvania a single knee can stay in the hospital one night and a bilateral two nights. You can go to an in-patient physical therapy if you live alone with no one to care for you or if you have an existing medical condition. You can go to a nursing home if you cannot walk, do steps, get in and out of a bed and chair and use toilet by the time you need to leave the hospital. We have a two-story house with 18 steps to reach any bedrooms but the hospital personnel tell me that I will be able to go home after my two nights. They have already scheduled for a physical therapist to visit my home the third day after my surgery. Thank you for your best wishes!
    • Posted

Again...Good luck Busterbeans! I look forward to hearing how you are doing. I had mine down I Boston. I'm no longer bow legged! My height actually gained almost 1 inch!

Take care

Joyce

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.