9 months post THR... feeling great, spent 2 weeks on a trip with lots of walking...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Wow! Finally have a chance to write about how happy I am after taking first long trip (Dublin and Scotland) since my THR. We decided to not rush into a trip, giving me plenty of time to have full recovery, knowing there would probably be a lot of walking. I was so amazed how wonderful it was to no longer have the hip pain like I did last year at this time on a similar trip. I still have some thigh numbness but it's been more manageable as time goes on with less need for icing. I did have my Flipstick (cane that turns into a seat you lean back on) just because I knew I might get tired. Since my knee decided to do its best to get my attention (I know have arthritis there), it helped a lot.

I expected the extra "wanding" during checkin for our flights. Each airport was different. At the first one, when I told them about my new hip, the person who wanded/did pat down, actually asked me if there was any area that was especially sensitive (my thigh), she was very careful. In all the times we flown and I've occasionally had to have the patdown (no idea why), no one has ever been as nice/gentle. We're never in a rush, so no big deal about the extra time (couple of minutes) it takes for me to clear security.

I even managed well during the high winds when we were in Dublin on September 19 with the side effects of Helene. Crossing O'Connell Street was "interesting" at the time.

No issue with steps which was good since while we were in Scotland, we stayed in an apartment on the second floor (which meant lots of steps since the Ground Floor was where we entered.

Good to be back and reading about how everyone is doing. Big surprise about the "new look" of the site. I'll get used to it.

Now back to reading new postings...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

No idea why the letters in words split but looks like I can't edit it.

• Posted

Did you find your hip flashed up at airport security? Mine usually does and folk are kind and am kinda used to it now...

And, done on wonderful hippy hoppy recovery!

Mic

Exeter

UK

• Posted

So glad you are doing well, I always get wanded and patted down now, so allow a couple of extra minutes.

Not sure I like the new website - seems to take longer to do things on my laptop, such as 'mark as read'.

• Posted

So Happy for you and a successful holdiay

I am also recovering TRHR and I am in Wesern Canada, and have had a few holidays so far. Flight to Eastern Canada and hiking and bike riding in July and a few camping trips

Surgery was March 15th

I am told 9 month is when sleeping will be better and full recovery shold be reached. That will be exciting to have happen, still find sleeping a big pain but better then before surgery and I get sore at times and limp but do good in general. .

I had forgotten about security and the plane and I had great people and very understanding gentle pat downs etc after wand goes off.

Love hearing the positive stories.

Thanks

Sue

• Posted

I do sleep a lot better now. Since I still have some thigh numbness I don't sleep on that side but fortunately other side is good option. What amazes me is no stiffness or pain/soreness anymore when getting on or off bed

Amount of time to full recovery varies with each person. I was told it could be up to year.

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Greetings...

Was 2 years for me!

Sounds a fun holiday, and i imagine lots of rest too.

Don't know if you can post a photo of you in your gear hiking?

Enjoy the rest of yr life. If like me, hip no 2 needs doing at some point, then that will be well too.

Take care

Mic

X

Exeter UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.