9 week post op report

Posted , 5 users are following.

- Totally off meds now for 9 days

- can do 20 min on bike at 60-65 rpm

- Joined Gym again (intend to hit the treadmill 20min/day or so. Will see)

- Still kind of stiff and sore depending on activity (all manageable).

- Bend is at 101 (thought it might be a bit better but it is what it is)

- Extension has gotten a bit worse. 3 weeks ago it was at 6 today only 10

hmmmm. I think this is my own fault however. Have been paying more 

attention to the bending and slacking off a bit on the extension. Lesson

learned.

Pay close attention to both flexion and extension. Muscles are quick to

retract if you don't keep them stretched and well exercised.

- Sleep is also improving. 4 good nights this week. 3 not so good.

- Knee is still swollen and now using both Ice and heat at times.

- Still pain on inside of knee but improving

In summary, life is returning. Progress is not as quick as I thought it would be but who is ever really properly prepared for this? I sure wasn't.

When I look back to weeks 3-5, there is miles of progress. Sure there is still some discomfort and pain but all manageable now. I remember for a time I was stuck in one spot, other times when it felt like I was going backwards.

This is sure no linear recovery. Some old pains fade while new pains crop up when you least expect. Looking back now, they are all part of the healing process. So for those in their first few weeks, don't despair, there's some nice light not to far ahead.

I realize there's still a long hard road ahead (gotta keep those exercises up) But at least now I'm confident in working towards a full recovery. Even that stubborn extension. Haha

Oh and also thank you to the folks on this forum for all your support and encouragement. That's my story so far and I'm stickin to it.

Peter 9 wks 1day.

I always wait an extra day because that's when I have physio and get my official numbers.

5 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So true! Yesterday I was sure I was really beating this, had an excellent night 's sleep, got up this morning and everything hurts! Really struggled to walk one km (usually do two) and cheated on the exercises. Tomorrow is another day! Congratulations on your progress.. Hope to be somewhere approaching that at nine weeks. (Five weeks and four days)
    • Posted

Yes, this is no ride straight up hill that's for sure. Lots of ups and downs but all part of the healing process. I remember days I was just tired of the pain and relaxed a bit on the exercises to try and ease things a bit but now believe that was mistake. Mainly because my extension went backwards a bit. The muscles seem so quick to go right back to where its comfortable for them so I now believe they need to be constantly stretched to the point where that 125-135 degreee flexion and 0 degree extension is normal. In my case anyway.

Stay faithful to those exercises Martin and you will get there and MORE!

• Posted

I think my goal is way below yours ., struggling for 95 at the moment. But yes you are right Im sure. If you let up for one day you slip back three....
  • Posted

Hello Peter

excellent news well done! I have done too much today and my knee is sore and swollen. Nonethe less it felt good actually getting something done instead of moping around. The first 6 weeks I couldnt get interested in any of the activities I had earmarked for my convalescence. Still a long way to go until i am back at work but i am keen to get there.

• Posted

I can certainly relate to that Sally. I had physio today and must say they worked us pretty hard so I'm a tad sore as well. I was in a class today that had pool therapy first and then land physio right after, so it was a double session. Came home and iced right away and it's ok now. A bit more tender and swollen but it does feel good to have a good workout. Yup, still a long unexpected road ahead but we are all getting there.

• Posted

Hi Peter, so pleased to read and recognise what fantastic progress you have made. we have all been on an epic journey. Don't go rushing onto the treadmill. Your bend is increasing bit by bit which is the way to go. Remember your earlier concerns! I too am progressing. I get a regular 6 hour sleep and I only take the occasional paracetamol. My pain too has reduced. It's still sore the outer and inner knee pain is reducing. This substantiates the fact that it's all soft tissue and inflammation. It still lets me know  that it's there. My knee is still swollen and there's still scant tissue present which is hard to touch. Hopefully it will keep reducing. I too am happy on the bike and have been able to lower the seat significantly. Still have to do and we must continue with exercises especially early morning. Onwards and upwards we march to the next milestone in our recovery.

take care

Robert

• Posted

Thanks Robert,

I realize theres a long unexpected road ahead and absolutely, onwards and upwards to the next milestone. Went to the Gym this morning and did take it slow on the treadmill for the first time. Did 10 min at 2.5 km/hr and then another 10 on the eliptical machine.

I still have all the soreness as well but it seems to be a bit diff now. hard to describe. I suppose the soreness will stay as long as we keep stretching and working those muscles. It's a must though, else we begin to regress. I'm glad to hear you are also continuing to improve.

To bad I didn't live a bit closer. It would be nice to meet some of the  folks here in person and have a TKR dinner party.  haha

Have a great day Robert and keep up the good progress!

Peter

• Posted

Morning Peter, I've concluded I have morning blues. Try as I may. Exercises won't wake my knee up. Afternoons are great. Good movement. Ah well time may alter this. How are you.

Robert

• Posted

Hi Robert, my leg feels pretty stiff this morning. More than usual for some reason. I also have days like that Robert for sure. Sometimes it's a real fight to keep the spirits up. We keep working the knee and muscles and see improvement and yet get slammed on certain days with new pains and stiffness and think "when does it end?". Gotta focus on the progress made so far though Robert. Remember back to weeks 2 and three. I was saying to the wife yesterday, remember when I came out here to the kitchen with my walker and couldnt even sit long enough to finish dinner, and today I went on the treadmill in the Gym and am walking with no support at all. I figure it's a long road ahead with lots of hard work but can also see myself back on my mountain bike riding through the forests or in my kayak paddling through the lakes all pain free. We will get there Robert!
    • Posted

Hi Peter and how are you? Things are static from my end. No real change to report for now. Still get stiffness and twinges but not major. On the bike every other day and hydrotherapy . Not needing painkillers for now, so that's progress. Bend still 110. Able to walk upstairs with no problems and just about getting downstairs now. Back to my normal working week. Spoke to consultant today as needed to check why tissue above knee cap either side of strict scar is hard. He explained its all post op and will subside. I do get odd pain inner leg when standing. I now have a go buy new lounge suite as our current is too low for me now and my knees are suffering a bit. In sum I guess I'm ok. How's you? Where in USA are you? I'm in manchester UK

Regards

Robert

• Posted

Hi Robert, good to hear from you. Things are pretty much the same here as well.

Not to much change from last week. Still doing physio and exercising each day to work  on bend and straightening. knee is more stiff than I figured on at this time but all manageable. Was away for the weekend out in the country which was nice. I need to concentrate on straightening the leg a bit more. It's improving as well but much slower and harder than the bend. I'm seeing the surgeon again next Thur. 

One real big bonus now is sleep. Even when I do wake up I'm right out again pretty quickly. That's a hugh relief.

I'm not in the US, I'm in Canada, Ontario. We have been going through a cold snap here,

temps sometime -40 with windchill. Could be why my knee feels a bit stiffer as well.

Just going to head out to the gym here for a bit. Walk on treadmill for 15min or so and then maybe Elliptical machine. All taking it easy though.

Have to keep up the exercises but Think changes will come more slowly now.  

• Posted

Hi and how are you? I am going through what I can only describe as muscle ache and fatigue. It's slowing me down a bit. My leg is tired out after short walk. Hope this all settles. Bend is the same. Nothing extra to report apart the mentioned aches. Weird. How's your progress. 

robert

• Posted

Hi Robert,

Things have improved a lot but I'm also reminded that theres a long way to go. My bend is at 105 now and extension at 9 so still working on exercises daily and intend to keep them up until I reach the limit of the hardware. There seems to be a fine line between to much exercise and not enough. Overdid it yesterday at the Gym so paying for it today. Never seem to learn. haha

Knee is still swollen but not nearly as bad and also still numb on either side but that’s improving. Stiffness is also with me most of the time so although my ROM has improved a lot I just have to go slow. I go to see the surgeon next Thur for a checkup and am actually looking forward to it. Another few weeks and I'll be back to work full time.

This knee replacement sure is hard work and takes considerable patience. Overall, recovery is SURE but slooooooooooooow.

Hang in there Robert, we'll be running that marathon in no time!

Peter 10 wks and 3 days

• Posted

Hello Peter,

I am in Mexico as of last night and already snorkeled an hour and walked 5 km. to one of our favorite restaurants (it started to be a 3 km. walk but the restaurant moved). After cervesa and the El Foco especial we then walked another km. to the grocery store. And took the cab home! Knee was tired, but my sandal blister was the only pain I had.

:-(....... but YAY! Hang in there, soon you will be bragging about your daily feats of knee prowess too!!

Hasta luego amigo.

Mary at 15 weeks plus 2 days

• Posted

Amazing at fifteen weeks!  Enjoy your holiday . . wonderful places in Mexico . . just a bit hot for me though!  dont overdo it!
    • Posted

Thats fantastic! 5k is a pretty hefty walk. sounds like you getting stronger all the time. Do lots of that snorkeling, relax and don't rush time.

Do they have kayaks/canoes there you can take out? Not sure how I would feel about that. Too many things out there much bigger than me that  would mistake me for a hot dog! haha

Went to the physio on Tues and both my bend and extension have improved again. Don't think I could walk 5k yet but getting there slowly.

send a bit of that sunshine over, it's -20 here! ha!

Enjoy your holiday Mary. Have a great Time!

• Posted

Hi Peter. Catch up time. Got discharged from physio today. However, I can contact them if needed. All going well. Bend when cold is 110. Muscle strength good and moving well. Enjoying light gym work, bike and rowing machine . Stairs are good. Back to work and I guess 80 0/0 there. The negatives are stiff in morning . Some inner knee pain when walking. physio given me extra exercises . Still work in progress. Knee still swollen so ice is still on. How you doing?

Robert

• Posted

Hi Robert, nice to hear from you.

That's Great news! Your doing very well.

Think I'm a bit behind you but also getting there. Went to physio yesterday and bend is 105 lying down. 110 if I'm sitting in a chair. Extension is still only at 9. That adds a bit of a limp when walking but not bad. They all tell me the extension is harder to get back but it's also improving. Just have to be more patient with it.

The stiffness I had is disappearing and is now turned to more of a tightness. If that makes sense. Physio says it's now more a muscle/tendon issue rather than the joint so she gave me different exercises as well and said she will start seeing me every two weeks now.

So yes, still a work in progress here as well but definitely getting there.

Oh, my knee is still swollen as well. I'm told it will likely take several months for it to Return to normal.

I'm seeing the surgeon tomorrow and am looking forward to hear what he has to say about the progress so far.

Peter 11 weeks

• Posted

Hi Mary, How are you enjoying your holidays?

Still taking in the sunshine and cool blue waters?

• Posted

Hi Robert,

Went to physio today and had a great session.

Bend is now at 108 and extension was down to 4 which I was really happy about.

Although my knee is still swollen and tight it continues to improve.

I'll be back to work full time Monday and will continue physio only every two weeks now. Can walk up stairs fairly normally now and downstairs ok but just have to go slow.

I know there's a long way to go but I'm beginning to feel almost normal again

How are you coming along?

• Posted

Hi Peter, good news. Your doing great. It seems ages since our ops. I also have a swollen knee. Consultant is happy as it's soft tissue which hopefully will go. My knee let's me do most things now. Went for a 20 minute pain free walk. Bend is similar but always better in afternoon. I still sleep with pillow between knees. Very rarely take painkillers. Yes I'm pleased with progress to date. Don't think I will get much more bend. But it let's me do what I need so happy at that.

Robert

• Posted

Morning Peter, and how are you?, I am doing fine. Just getting on with it. Doing all I need to with no adverse effects. As yet not done breaststroke , Work is good . Still got flabby knee, that's my only concern. As yet not done long walk, maybe soon. At last thrown away my night pillow and am back to regular sleep. No painkillers either. Have to do exercises as knee is stiff in morning, no idea what bend is . I guess it's static at 120. . In hydro I can match the other knee when it's warm. But not when its cold. I'm still saying

its  work in progress. Not a done deal yet. Plenty of work and progress to be made.  But so far I'm pleased. How's your knee doing. 

Best wishes

robert

• Posted

Hello Robert! Nice to hear from you and good to hear you doing so well.

Sounds like you’re a bit ahead of me now.

My sleep is also good. No meds at all and back to work full time with no problems.

My next physio appt. is next week and think my bend so far is still at 108. Still have that stiffness in the morning as well but once I start moving around it's all bearable. Sometimes after the gym my knee feels more inflamed, then gets stiffer again and feels like I go a bit backwards but once it relaxes I'm ok again.

All in all, moving forward but it's still a work in practice like you say. Have to keep working on those exercises and increase strength. I'll let you know what physio says after my appt next Tues. Have a great day Robert and keep up that good work!

• Posted

3 weeks here today! WOW this type of vacation should be required rehab for new knees. I am now 18 weeks since knee #2 and 13 months since knee #1 TKR. I can snorkel until my fingers and toes are pruny and kick pretty steady when necessary. I cycle every day. Check out my reply to Peter for more info.. I hope you are doing well these days.

Cheers!

• Posted

Hi Peter,

I have been in Mexico now for 3 weeks today and the rehab is nothing short of amazing! Snorkeling is great for the hips and tracking as it is impossible to kick with a crooked foot. We go out for at least a few hours a day and sometimes as long as 2 hours at a time kicking against the current until we turn around and then drift/kick back so we can continue to check out fish/eels/squid/lobster/octopus. We are cycling daily for at least 6-8 kms at a time. I have worked up to fabulous rides this week of 35-40 kms (twice!). the ocean views are fabulous and we take our time so my knee is just rotating, not straining. My flexion has improved immensely, though it is still under 120 degrees I am sure. The strangth has blown me away though and any pain is rare. What is best is that the snorkeling in cool salt water keeps the swelling down. Pretty facinating to experience this kind of improvement in just 3 weeks. Too bad our medical system can't foot the bill for the vacation - I am saving them SO much in physiotherapy bills. Ha! I have read about your steady improvement. Keep up the good work and stay positive! Cheers.

• Posted

Hey Mary! Just got off work. I'm back now full time with no major issues.

Happy to hear about your amazing progress. And yes I agree, There's no better rehab than what you describe. Physically, emotionally, spiritually. That's what I call a real "holistic" approach. Your getting the whole ball of wax there and are doing FANTASTIC with it. Now I'm going to dream about being in Mexico all night. Haha

Keep it up the great work Mary and enjoy! Keep us posted. Truly inspirational stuff.

• Posted

Sounds wonderful . . .I did get to the hydrotherapy pool today and managed the breaststroke movement for the first time. . not as exotic as mexico, but the water was maybe even a little bit warmer!  enjoy . . love Mexico! . .

• Posted

Hi Robert,

Went to physio yesterday. Bend is now 110 and extension at 5

Working full time with no real issues. Knee is stiff in the morning but ok once it's stretched out a bit. I'm still exercising every day as much as I can to increase ROM. Because of activities like kayak/canoe and mountain biking,  I would like to get to 130 degrees and plan on doing my best to get there. All in all, knee is doing well, but still a work in progress. Those exercises are still tough but have to keep pushing to stretch and strengthen those muscles. To all those out there in their early days of replacement, things do get better so hang in there! Don't get discouraged.

How's everything going with you Robert? You still keeping up the exercises?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.