9 week post op report

Posted , 5 users are following.

- Totally off meds now for 9 days

- can do 20 min on bike at 60-65 rpm

- Joined Gym again (intend to hit the treadmill 20min/day or so. Will see)

- Still kind of stiff and sore depending on activity (all manageable).

- Bend is at 101 (thought it might be a bit better but it is what it is)

- Extension has gotten a bit worse. 3 weeks ago it was at 6 today only 10

hmmmm. I think this is my own fault however. Have been paying more 

attention to the bending and slacking off a bit on the extension. Lesson

learned.

Pay close attention to both flexion and extension. Muscles are quick to

retract if you don't keep them stretched and well exercised.

- Sleep is also improving. 4 good nights this week. 3 not so good.

- Knee is still swollen and now using both Ice and heat at times.

- Still pain on inside of knee but improving

In summary, life is returning. Progress is not as quick as I thought it would be but who is ever really properly prepared for this? I sure wasn't.

When I look back to weeks 3-5, there is miles of progress. Sure there is still some discomfort and pain but all manageable now. I remember for a time I was stuck in one spot, other times when it felt like I was going backwards.

This is sure no linear recovery. Some old pains fade while new pains crop up when you least expect. Looking back now, they are all part of the healing process. So for those in their first few weeks, don't despair, there's some nice light not to far ahead.

I realize there's still a long hard road ahead (gotta keep those exercises up) But at least now I'm confident in working towards a full recovery. Even that stubborn extension. Haha

Oh and also thank you to the folks on this forum for all your support and encouragement. That's my story so far and I'm stickin to it.

Peter 9 wks 1day.

I always wait an extra day because that's when I have physio and get my official numbers.

5 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Peter,

So good to hear about your progress! You are on the way to a full recovery. I waited until today to respond so I would have my 15 week update to share. It will prove to you how well you are doing. My physio was pleased with my progress and especially impressed with my walking gait. I am glad because I have really worked to strengthen my ankle and hip and to keep my foot pointing straight ahead as I walk. But I have only as much flexion as you have and I am 6 weeks further along. Kudos to you!

My 15 week old knee was measured at 100 degrees of bend and 2 degrees from straight. She measured them as I leaned on stairs so that it was a true measure. She finds that sitting on the bed and measuring doesn't show the extent of our ability. This is less bend than most people have at this time and less than I had with TKR #1 but we were both happy with it as it is 5 degrees of improvement over a month ago. Slow and steady seems to be how this knee is recovering. My 12.5 month old TKR is now at 130 degrees and has improved 5 degrees in the past 3 months. This is supposed to be the technical limit of the knee so further gains in bend are not expected.  I have a bit of hyperextension (-5 degrees) that I have to fight a bit on this side but the strength is there so it is not a problem.

I tell you about my first TKR so people will understand that they CAN achieve impressive gains if they continue to do the physio to stretch and strengthen their muscles etc. even nearing and after a year has gone by. Doing the work is not always fun but it is incredibly satisfying to know that it is possible to improve if you truely want to.

I expect that my month in Mexico, bicycling and walking outside, swimming and snorkeling and especially being out of the cold, snow and ice, will continue this improvement. I may not be on this forum much but I will report occasionally as I access the internet and read the discussions.

Cheers to all! And to the newbies and those soon to have surgery: Hang in there; trust your medical team; listen FIRST to your physiotherapist when it comes to recovery and MOST importantly, do the work. Finally, stay active on this forum because the support is fabulous and the sharing is therapeutic. I have learned so much that helps me every day.

Mary

15 weeks and smiling!

• Posted

Thank you Mary, that’s also a fantastic report!

Your right on the money when you say slow and steady and continue to stretch and strenghten those muscles.

I haven't had a 130 degree bend in my right knee for ten years. If it takes a year or even longer, I'm not stopping till I get here. Haha

I also believe that trip to Mexico will do wonders. If I was headed to Mexico I Think I'd already be at the door with my bags packed sitting on the suitcase!

Keep up the good work Mary!

and everyone else reading this post.

Stay faithful to the exercises and NEVER GIVE UP!

• Posted

You are right Peter. Never give up. I haven't had anywhere close to 130 degree bend since my 20's and I was actually surprised today when we measured. I was just doing the same physio for both knees and living my life and I was improving. Yay!

Soon I won't be knee focussed at all. I am looking forward to that!

• Posted

Hi Mary, You getting tired of relaxing in all that sunshine and nice cool water yet? Haha

Had a great session at physio today. My bend is now at 108 and extension was down to 4 which I was really happy about. I'll be back to work full time Monday. Although there's a load of things I'd rather be doing, a real pay check will be nice to see once again. 3 months off is a fair chunk of change to miss. Physio wants to see me only every two weeks now, so they must be happy with my progress as well.

I know there's a long way to go but I'm beginning to feel almost normal again

Oh, I went to my surgeon the other day and asked him "what's the limit of the hardware"?

He says 140 but I won't get there. So I'm thinking, HA! Don't tell me what I can't do.

Now I know 140 may be a bit unrealistic but I can't see why 130 isn't do able with some good old fashion hard work.

How you doing Mary?

• Posted

Hey Peter,

I have been offline for about a week now (daughter visiting from Canada and just TOO beautiful to be on the computer) so just saw this post. It has poured rain once this morning but the sun is out now so it will be another great day in paradise!

We have been riding bike daily and snorkeling for kms. each day, sometimes against quite a current - floating back to the resort of course. My knee is about 10 degrees better at bending (probably 115-120) than when I arrived 2 weeks ago and I can even drive the standard transmission vehicle we rented to go to the windward side of the island when my daughter was here. I am down to 200 mg. of Aleve when I feel I need it and I do forget about it regularly. There is big joy when I look down and see straight legs though. Yeah I know. Vanity, they name is woman! To all those who are in the midst of pain and worry that they are taking long to recover: hang in there; do the work and enjoy the results. I am! Hasta luego amigos and amigas!

Mary

Hmmmmm, 4 months and 6 days since TKR #2 and 13 months since TKR #1

• Posted

Hey Mary! How is everything? Did you move to Mexico? haha

Still making progress here, slowly but surely. Got kicked out of physio so working on the exercises on my own. Bend is about 115 now. knee still has some swelling but has greatly improved. I'm surprised how long it stays swollen though. Last couple of days it's been cold here but nice weather is just around the corner and my Bike is calling my name. HA!

Trust all is well there. take care! Peter

• Posted

Ha! I didn't move to Mexico but I haven't been on the forum for a long time. My life is back to the normal I had dreamed of: I rarely think about my knees unless I am working them out; my physiotherapist was amazed when I was there a few weeks ago. In the 6 week period between measurements, including my time cycling and snorkeling in Mexico, my new knee (5 months now) gained 15 degrees of bend. That was good but she also measured my 14 month old knee that gained 5 degrees. I am now at 115 on the new knee and 135 on the other. It is amazing that continued rehab is still producing results! I am now regularly walking 10,000 steps and riding up to 40 kms on my bike. I consider me healed!!!!! I have my life back. And it is better than my life has been for many years. As of this past week I am using no medication at all and have SO much energy that I am driving my family crazy. Yay! I am glad that you are WELL on your way Peter. The best to you and to all those TKR's who are ready to say good bye to this great forum. Cheers to us all. Ciao
  • Posted

Great report Peter and good to know that progress is being made. Agree with you about the consistency. I can do a decent bend and have been working with it but extension is tough. Hanging off the bed, face down with a grocery bag and tins of food hanging from it is killer. Doing it 5 mins at a time. Really would like to get it almost straight but think it will take a long time. Keep up the good work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.