9 weeks on

Posted , 2 users are following.

Broke my ankle 9 weeks ago, plaster off physio started but NHS is busy so every 2 weeks, I have good days and bad days, crutches are a nuisance but still necessary at the moment.  Trying to walk more, pain is constant in the ankle and swelling is still visible, especially along the front part of the ankle.  The question is should one just push through the pain and the ensuing swelling?  I massage myself and use ice, but just as it eems to improve the swelling changes position and feels like a tight elastic band holding me back. Really fed up now, want to get my life back.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh Christine, I can see how this could become really tiresome, it's only been 2 1/2 weeks for me and already I'm getting fed up with it.  The pain has died down somewhat, it was excrutiating during the first week, mainly because I only  had a splint on,  I fell and broke my ankle whlst on holiday in La Palma halfway down a mountainside, and because i was flying home the following Friday, I was given a splint.  The full case was put on the day after we returned from our holidays, the whole week spend in a wheelchair.  The pain subsided after two days of a full cast and Ibuprfen.  I hear what you're saying about the crutches, a nightmare at times, especially on the stairs.
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply, being hurt abroad has added pressures, so hope you have a speedy recovery. I have started to cook again and do a little cleaning, as hubby is getting stressed with it all, but it is hard when using the crutches, does anyone get used to them I wonder. You do see kids just whizzing around with no problems, maybe it's as you get older it becomes more fearful, I am so afraid of falling again. Sleep has been as issue as well as I also broke my rib, but that has healed. Sitting up in bed was not comfortable for sleeping, and although I now lay down flat I still struggle to sleep, it does help with recovery, oh for a good night's sleep. Thanks for letting me whinge. Have a great xmas and New Year.
    • Posted

Hi Christine, have you asked your GP for some stronger pain meds? I take codeine at night, I have this anyway for my femeroacetabular impingement and arthritis of the hip.  The codeine helps me sleep, I don't sleep as well as I did before the accident, but it certainly helps.

That's great that you're managing to cook again, my husband is actually a better cook than me, but he's back at work today.  Fortunately only for two days though then he's off for a couple of weeks over Christmas.

Yes, I get afraid of falling again too, I think you're right about the younger ones having more upper arm strength and more confidence than those of us who are more mature....:-)

I don't mind you having a whinge, we can do it together....LOL

• Posted

Christine, I sympathize with you!  I fractured my right ankle on both sides  12 weeks ago.  I used crutches for only a few days, then hired a knee walker.  Did get some knee pain, but overall I think it was much better than crutches or the wheelchair.  I also used a walking stick after the cast was removed. I was in constant pain up until 2 weeks ago, but now rarely take medication.  I was unable to weight bear for 9 week, still not walking as before and seem to roll my right leg, but my physio tells me it could take 12 months to reach the level I was at before the mishap. My ankle and lower leg is constanly swollen (looks like a football) once I start walking each morning.  Bed rest is the only thing to reduce it, but after months of inactivity and having my husband running things, this is not an option.  I'm at my wits end, but fortunately the pain has abated and I'm mobile, I can now walk and drive!  My best wishes to you for a speedy recovery and I hope you find a solution to the swelling - I will keep investigating. 
    • Posted

Hi Gail

thank you for your advice, I am into my 11th week and feeling fed up, it's so frustrating not getting about.  I also broke my rib and had a verterbrae fracture, both of which have mended sufficiently not to give me pain, but the ankle, the swelling just doesn't want to go it's like a band across the ankle, should not really moan as so many worse off, but when you are used to being active it's harder. I am only getting physio every 2 weeks NHS so busy, could do with more, hopefully just another couple of weeks and I'll be mended.

• Posted

Hi Christine, think our recoveries are on a similar level.  I'm about to start salt water foor baths, it's not possible to have the ankle elevated all day which is the only thing that stops the swelling!  Do some exercise at home, this has helped me, your physio should give you a set of exercises or you can google and find some.  Physio also said some people just swell up more than others!  Keep up your spirits although I know it's not easy. Best wishes for a better 2015!
  • Posted

Hi Christine

How did you get on immediately the plaster came off? Were you sent home or to physio? What additional advice did you receive fro the doctors?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.