9 weeks on citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I have been taking citalopram for 9 weeks now (10mg for 2 weeks and 20mg for 7 weeks) and I would just like to know if I am making progress.  I have found that I am feeling less anxious and tired and am able to get up early in the morning without feeling angry/irritable, and I am also feeling slightly more hopeful for the future than I was before, however there will still be some days when I am very anxious, and have found that I still avoid contact with other people due to the anxiety that I am feeling.  Overall I feel like my depression is improving but my anxiety is taking longer, and I'd just like to know if it is  normal to still feel anxious and depressed some days after 9 weeks on citalopram.  I will hopefully be starting cbt therapy soon also which could further improve my condition.  Thank you.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am on my 9th week and still suffering from nausea x I get the odd anxious days but it gets easier x I have started going swimming which helps and long walks x The cit is definately working by the sounds of it i am starting cbt tomorrow on a 4 week course x
    • Posted

Thank you for responding.  I also walk and go to the gym which I find helps me a lot, good to hear that it works for you also.  I am hoping that I will be off the cbt waiting list soon.  Good luck with your cbt.
  • Posted

Good Morning Amy🌞!

I’m on my 9th week also. I still have anxiety especially as I write this. I’m going for a walk which definitely helps with it. It’s normal to feel like this. OMG you have really progressed 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻. Your doing great😇😇😇😇

Have a great day! Breathe, Mediate and Walk! 🚶🏻???🚶🏻???

Will😎

• Posted

Thank you for the response, I also find that walking and going to the gym helps me out a lot.  I'm glad that it sounds like I'm making progress, good luck to you with your treatment.

• Posted

Hi all

I'm new to this thread but have been finding the comments and hearing about other people's experiences very reassuring.

I am 6 days into taking Citalopram. I've been going through a pretty crappy break up (around a month ago) and begun suffering with worried and anxious thoughts about my partner and the girl he's now seeing. Worrying became more heightened in an evening and weekend, wondering what they were doing/was she sleeping over/was she taking my place etc.

It's eaten me alive over the last couple of weeks in particular but after a spell of being on beta blockers, my GP prescribed Citalopram.

As I said, I'm 6 days in on 20mg per day. This weekend was the hardest with the increase in anxiety but from reading on here, that sounds like it's 'normal'. I've also experienced palpitations and shaking, especially in my hands and I'm really struggling sleeping. The anxious thoughts consume me in the middle of the night and in the early hours, I feel like I can't switch off.

Hoping that they ease soon!

Bx

• Posted

Hi Beth69919.  Things do get better.  Thank be been on 20mg for about 14 weeks now and I’m having lots of good times.  Still up and down but definitely lots of ups.   Sleep gets better. It’s still not perfect but I get enough.  I can function and today I had a really busy but successful day.  Time helps so much!  Keep going through the tough days and you will see improvement.  Good luck x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.