9 weeks pregnant and just found out that im hyperthyroidism

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

hi im newbie here anyone here is who's pregnant and hyperthyroidism as the same time? Or anyone experienced? Im really worried sad is hyperthyroidism needs a lifetime medication or just now that im pregnant. Any answer willg be a big help. TIA 😊

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm not a doctor or any kind of medical professional and I wasn't diagnosed with hyperthyroidism until age 60, but I know that it is not always necessary to have anti thyorid medication all one's life.  I was able to go off it after taking it less than 3 years.  I had heard of the predicted chance that someone would go into remission as only 20% of cases, but I think that really depends on a lot of factors.

If your doctor would approve of your taking Acetyl-L-Carnitine while pregnant and with the hyperthyroidism, I think it would help.  I didn't start taking it until after I was in remission, but I think it has helped me stay in remission.  I have taken it for about 8 months, I think.

• Posted

Hi

i would not worry.  It goes into remission in the second trimester I believe and then possibility of coming back after birth.  You will be monitored carefully and it is manageable during pregnancy.  If you do have it after the birth there is a possibility you might not be able to breast feed due to medication to manage your thyroid.  I would not worry too much about it and wait to see what happens.  Just make sure you rest and don't stress.  You can get it sorted afterwards.  I am currently just off block and replace medication after 18 months and levels are stable and feeling lots better. If I get it back I will have my thyroid out.  X

• Posted

Did the doctor put you on PTU, or what? and what did he/she say about it?  How long has it been since the diagnosis?  I really thought if you are just borderline hyper, it is good for the pregnancy and much worse if you are borderline hypo.
  • Posted

Hi fern12 had my serum tsh last monday my OB advice me to had it because im having a shortness of breath for almost 2weeks now. My serum tsh result was 0.20 so my OB referred me to internal medicine. IM doctor said that its normal for pregnant women to have low tsh result but to make it sure he advice me to take T3 and T4 test 
  • Posted

Hi emmaj43 that's really my concern if the medication for thyroid is lifetime,my eldest is 3yo and still breasfeed,and for the 2nd i want breastfeed too. My thyroid doctor prescribed omepron for now and my Ob approved it. i'll ask my OB about Acetyl-L-Carnitine 
    • Posted

It is my understanding that Omepron is specifically for the heart not the thyroid, and it is probably for your symptoms temporarily.
  • Posted

Thank you both for the replies! 😊 big help indeed! I'll show our conversation with my OB

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up