92 hours of cold turkey!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone I've been on citalopram for 7 years from 40mg to 10mg. I had my last citalopram on Sunday at 2pm and I've basically had enough of them they do nothing for me, I've spoken to 2 doctors about this and they said it's fine to go cold turkey! I'm still on 15mg of mirtazapine which I started 8 months ago and will be tapering off them after I feel fine when these horrendous side effects have gone! I've been feeling sick which has passed but my body aches so much I feel like I have flu! I'm feeling a tiny bit better then I did but when will this hell stop? I eat super healthy oily fish 3 times a week, blueberries, bananas, raspberrie, vegetables, ginseng tea and green tea, and loads of water. I take vitamin b 12 vitamin D and magnesium. My anxiety is a bit wild at the moment I've been a bit of my food and I've lost a few pounds this week ( considering I'm on mirtazipine which makes you the hungriest person in the world!) Anyone else gone cold turkey on citalopram?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have a few times gone cold turkey,  as for the side effects of quiting are the brain electrical zaps.  I am glad to hear your drinking plenty of water this will help with your neuro transmition. Keep going if you find it to much going cold turkey.  Buy a bottle of saint johns wart from the pharmacy or heathfood store.  Start with one suppliment for a week or so as needed.  Then cut the pill in half for just as long and keep continuing to cut till your free.  Saint johns wart is the same ingredient as a Ssri but without being  man made modified.  This method sure helped me when I had trouble getting over pax hell,  that is on of the hardest to discontinue from.  Now I here cymbalta is even far worse than pax hell.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Try St. John's wart or over the counter 5-thh (I don't think I have intials right, others help out please). The other thing that helps is running.

• Posted

Thanks for your replies 😊 I don't think I'll be able to take st John's wart because I'm still on mirtazipine but will try and 5htp when I start to taper off them. I do a lot of walking a day I can't run to save my life! I do about 10000 steps a day ( I have an app on my phone that counts steps)

• Posted

I gave up last night 😯 it was unbearable so I gave in and had a citalopram! The worst I've ever felt in my life is having tonsillitis which was unbearable and it was close to that...I'm gonna wean off hopefully not as bad side effects!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.