92 % of Anti depressants don't work, new report

Posted , 9 users are following.

Who's interested and who really cares ? 

Do SSRI's really work or are u just coming out of a cycle ?

Dose placebo really work ?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've tried 5 different ones they all took ages to start working then stopped after a while absolute bullshxt. I honestly cannot be bothered anymore I genuinly don't know how people get out of depression or even how they learn to cope with it cos I cannot

• Posted

I have similar issues, i e the ones tried didnt work.  Does that mean we have crap,p.docs who arent really trying in difficult cases,or is it really so that these meds dont work? There are hundreds of different ones out there yet it seems they try only the predominant ssris and thats not for everyone.   There must be one out there, or a mix for us all.

can i ask how you try to get out of depression because i just cannot see my way through.  Even small hints woulx help.

• Posted

I'm in the UK so get the cheapest crap the NHS can find don't think they care if it works or not. I really wish i could help but I have absolutely no idea

• Posted

I have been on the same antidepressants for over two years and they are still working for me. I don’t ever want to feel like that again. I would rather be physically ill than have to deal with depression. It robbed me of my mind and I wasn’t myself. I had never felt so hopeless and helpless. I hear so often from others that they don’t feel any relief or suffer from terrible side effects. My MDD was treatment resistant, but my psych hospitalized me for eight days and monitored my progress while he found the meds that worked for me. I have no bad side effects, and I feel like myself again with all my emotions in tact. I really do feel very lucky.
    • Posted

Hi Phillis, 

Your story is fantastic however it has not been the same for many of us. 

Sounds like you have a good doctor to monitor your progress.

Regards Col

Bisbane. 

• Posted

Hello there. I think that I am blessed because I was in the deepest depression of my life and had been. My son was going through a hard time and that really made it worse. So I went to my doctor and he put me on Prozac and in no time at all my smile came back. I could sleep deeply for the first time in my life. And I felt like I had just popped out of the jack-in-the-box. Boom here I was feeling like a real human being. It worked for years and then I could tell I was sinking again so I got on lexapro. Now that was after trying everything on the market. Lexapro it was and had great results from that. Lately I can tell it's not doing the trick so doc added some Prozac to the lexapro. Start Thursday. Say a little prayer. But I can't settle for isolating and feeling crappy without doing all I can for myself. Got that from the greatest woman in the world. My mom!! Hope something that I said helps. Diane

• Posted

Yes Colin I do consider myself very lucky. I live in Canada and our health care is free a d available to everyone. MY GP referred me to a psychiatrist after seeing me twice within one month. He had been my doctor for over 30 yeara and knows me very well. I was 66 when I had clinical depression for the first time in my life. I was diagnosed with treatment resistant major depressive disorder with psychosis, quite a label. Maybe because I had never taken any antidepression meds before that worked in my favour. I didn't have to withdraw from one med for another one to help me. I just hope they don't stop working for me one day, which I know some people have experienced. Take care and I wish you good luck in finding your peace.

• Posted

Hi Deb. I take 300 mg venlafaxine in the morning and 15 mg mirtazapine at night. They work for me and I have no bad side effects.
  • Posted

I believe aall you write here.. who really cares, the drs here dont.  Ssris just made me worse and placebos will be no different.

some lucky people get relief, but why do others not, its a very strange thing.  Wish i could find my way round it.

• Posted

Try going to a functional medicine doctor or ND. They can run tests and address any nutrient deficiencies or hormone imbalances. A lot of the time depression is telling you that something is off in your body, not your mind.

• Posted

Thanks Sunshine, 

I will take your suggestion up with my Doctor next week. I will just hit the Doctor up with  exactly what you have written. 

Thanks Col

Brisbane 

• Posted

Hi again Colin. I can hear your frustration with antidepressants not working for you yet. I..as I stated before got on Prozac first and it worked but when it quit after a few years I like you tried so many that did not and it drove me but and scares me that I might not find another match like Prozac. Then I tried lexapro and it worked and I am still on it. Sometimes I just have to persevere. Please keep trying. Can you try another doctor. Maybe? Keep us posted. See how many people care about you? Diane
    • Posted

Hi Di, 

Thanks for your reply, I have been on Prozac and currently on Lexapro ( last 2 month ) with bad headaches in the morning possibly because they are mixing badly with other MEDs I'm taking. I try everything for a minimum of three months and take them all about 9.00 pm at night. I start each full pack at the same time and finish each pack 28 or 30 days later. In this way I can confirm to myself I'm consistent. 

Ya gotta laugh, I have been going to the same medical clinic for the last 4 years and average a couple of times a month. I nearly always see the same doctor, my medical records for 10 years were given to this clinic. My records could make a "comprehensive record" of what antidepressants are available on the market.  During a routine check up the other day my Doctor asked me "was I on antidepressants ?"  even my Shrink keeps my Doctor informed of my progress. My Doctor writes my prescriptions. I politely told my Doctor that I was tied of you and this clinic "lining your pockets" and I'm off to find a new doctor that "cares" and puts profit second. I was mad. 

I think I have plain been out of luck for a long time and Ketamine is my last hope. 

• Posted

Hi Colin, Venlefaxine works for me, I had one episode a few years ago when it appeared to poop out and I was switched to Clomipramine which worked, this episode I was put back on Venlefaxine and it's been working.

I think I've been very lucky with my AD's as haven't experienced side effects either. 

Neil 

• Posted

Hello Neil, 

Thanks for your post, you may gather I'm 68 and fed up of trying SSRI's as it's almost 20 years since I started. 

I have Volunteered to be a " Lab Rat" for the University of New South Wales to trial Ketamine early next year, it's no brave act as it's well controlled. Many universities and authorities claim it eliminates Depression and Anxiety ( D&A ) within 24 hours suggest you do some research if u are interested, no need if you are running as well as it sounds.

Regards

Col

Brisbane 

PS what country are you in ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.