9th day in

Posted , 11 users are following.

OK I've unraveled a bit, the sleep is intolerable, talk about bags under the eyes, can't even really blame it totally on the pain, albeit the pain is always  lurking about, one false move and it will give me hell. Just seem to be overthinking, worrying about the future, worrying I can't bear weight to walk properly on the knee, etc etc, I have had 1 hr in total last night! On the plus side I have managed to still work through my physio sheet of exercises, I.e. Heel to buttock slider, Oh the agony! The dreaded knee bend, and the flexing.the latter feels quite good! CAn maintain a 100 second unaided stand, and keep pottering on both sticks around the block, and house, a good few times a day! The leg raise is extremely poor, although it can be done, it has left me with a very painful inner knee! God almighty what a palaver this is, loss of dignity, looks, hair cleaning, house going to pot! TKR you'd better be worth it,  it would be too hard to bear to go through this without THE RESULT! lots of tears and irritability yesterday, really had to get a grip today, as sometimes feel as if I'm losing it! LOL

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

The lack of good sleep Is a big factor in this making u tearful.try little n often naps.

The dust can wait..enlist a friend or relative to help n get mobile h.dresser in...looking good aids recovery..nice pj's. .a good book n catch up tv.!!

I am undergoing a revision next week as my implant loosened so I shall be joining yr journey!!

Talking to other that know how u feel helps a lot...hang in there.x

• Posted

Tiger50,  sounds to me like you need to get you pain under control.  You MUST take you pain meds as prescribed for quite some time.  Take them like clock work....sounds as the pain is winning.  You need to rest also....elevate and ice at least 2 one hour sessions per day.  This is outside of icing and elevation after exercising.  Around the block at this point is pushing the envelope....I did not walk outside till 3 or 4 weeks po. PLEASE do NOT start overdoing yet.  I am a fine one to say...I over did it several times as I felt better. 

Yes the leg raises are poor.....the muscles are weak.  They were all cut.  Be sure to tighten your thigh muscle when doing them. 

I can can say at almost 14 weeks po...mine was worth it.  I am really concerned you are doing too much too quickly.  The exercises are a must...yes and I did them several times a day.  Rest is important also...you heal when you rest.  

Get on. Those meds....you will rest better.  Do not get it wrong...night will be in 2 or 3 hour intervals.  I still wake and move to new positions at night...not so much pain now...just uncomfortable.  

• Posted

Tiger, you're doing too much!!!!   I'm almost 5 weeks post op, and didn't leave the house till 2 weeks plus. Do the exercises, take the tablets regularly, if the pain gets on top of you you're chasing relief all the time, keep icing and elevating. The 1st 3 weeks I spent crying at some point every day, and my husband of 6 years has only seen me cry once. I wished I hadn't had it done, I couldn't see an end to it. Oh it was a horrible place to be in. You need baby steps, you're very very early days. Listen to your body, don't walk about so much, it will get better. Two weeks ago I was in despair, four days ago I thought there is a glimmer of a light on the horizon, today I thought I'm sure I can see there's a light there.  Every day now I feel a bit better. I saw my Physio yesterday and he was very pleased with me and said he doesn't need to see me again. Just keep on doing what I'm doing. You will feel better about week 5 to 6, don't worry, it's easy for me to say, but you are 3 weeks behind me, and I felt like you 3 weeks ago.   Come and rant on here anytime, best wishes 
  • Posted

Oh forgot!!    Ask for some help with sleeping, it makes all the difference if you have a good sleep. 
  • Posted

Ach Tiger you need to slow down. Just do your physio exercises keep strengthing muscles and bend. I'm 8weeks po and sleep is getting a little better i can get back over quicker but at your stage could have lay awake ages. Keep taking pain relief regularly as harder to get on top of pain if you dont. The house will wait, my husband was great made meals and helped me shower at first but house was left to 3 kids (all grown up still at home) but tidying cleaning is not apparently for them . now i get you're at home sitting doing nothing you can do it! I have started doing wee bits and tidying but think i overdid it yesterday, very tired and stiff and swollen today. I now do 20mins static bike (physio started me at 4weeks al the exercises and 20 min walk.

Keep icing and elevating very important! Chin up it is early days we are all here in same boat xx

• Posted

Do me a favor, look for my post about pain answers sleeping on the floor and please try it AND come back on here and tell everyone how you slept

Best.

• Posted

Hi l spoke to you the other day, you are absolutely doing too too much and what will happen is it will put you back. There is no quick fix  it takes time to heal a long long time, everyone here has told you exactly what to do ,you should not be going out l did not for nearly 3 wks, Pse stop trying to rush this because it won't happen. As regards sleeping well that's a different nightmare it took me up to 12 wks before l could turn and sleep, the consultant told me don't expect to sleep for the first 6 wks mine was another 6 because l like to sleep on my side. I am now 17 wks and l still am careful when moving my leg because if l don't think about each move in bed my knee reminds me with an ouch. Please be patient and be careful you are just starting on the long road of TKR surgery. If you need to cry then cry l did for wks and wks wishing l had never had it done, but now l can see the light things are getting better, l am bk working have been since 12 wks. Take care and absorb the comments they are all right .keep posting
  • Posted

I agree. Ur over doing it. Also, feeling clean w/ hair, etc. is key.

what I did, shower was too exhausting at first, so I sponged bathed myself everyday, put on fresh p.j.s or at home comfy clothes and I washed my hair in the kitchen sink every other day. This routine helped me mentally.

my husband was a great help as well, as were friends and neighbors who made meals. As far as the house, try to get some help and I would straighten a little whenever I got up and walked around. 

U r VERY early days, take care of ur self and make the things that hake u feel good the priority. 

Do u have anyone to help and support you?

• Posted

I'm exactly the same as you. I thought I was doing really well. I can go up and down stairs, walk with he walker. I went on physio on thur so m working on my exercises. Yesterday the pain was fighting with me but I believe I have it now. I take hydromorphone and tylelon arthritis. The last two times I took one of each. I'm getting ready for bed now so I'll take 2 hydro. I'll wake up in about 4 hrs and will take the Tylenol. I'm getting sleep and my swelling is nil. Tomorrow I go t get m clips out..29 of them! Then my physio will be tougher on me. I'm 17 months  post op on my first one. This one is completely different. Please don't over do it. You won't catch up very easy. We were not on a marathon, my friend. Good luck and please take care of yourself. Your body heals with sleep and rest.
  • Posted

Hello there,

It's VERY hard , even myself being a nurse didn't realise how hard it was going to be.

I got a bit down during weeks 4 & 5 , due to lack of sleep and everything else.

It does get better, I'm 12 weeks now and feel much better, hang in there.

During my sleepless nights I had a puzzle that kept my mind sane

All the best

• Posted

Hi there, are you feeling any better now?  
    • Posted

Hi lucie thanks for your concern, and had a better day so far. Finding the knee bends are not 'burning stinging' as much and seem a lot more doable. The leg raise needs a lot of work but managing it a lot better too! Been out for a tiny run in the car hubby driving of course, used the polythene bag in passenger side to assist with in and out, finding sitting any length of time, is quite painful, slept a lot better last night, soooo naughty but had a couple of glasses red wine, no choice in the matter, as I think I could have killed someone if I hadn't! LOL either way I achieved 7 hrs broken up a bit, but it's Defo cut me some slack! Once again thanks for the support!
    • Posted

Glad to hear it, definitely helps when you sleep,  take care xx
  • Posted

I'm going into my 4th week after partial medial replacement, with many of the same complaints as others here.  But sleep isn't one of them--about every other time I take the narcotic pain  pill I get so drowsy that I have to lie down, and 'm out for the count for 2 to 3 hours.  I also sleep well if I have taken a pain pill before going to bed.  I think that  part is a blessing, to relieve the bordom and worrying, and for healing.   Those of you who can't sleep might ask for different medication, for which drowsiness is a beneficial side effect..  

Tiger, I also think you are tackling way too much activity.  Take it easier, give your self a break because your body needs it.  Those medical personnel and former patients who set our expectations too high do the average sufferer a disservice.  Everything I have read so far on this site confirms that healiing these types of surgeries takes more time and patience than we have been led to expect. Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.