A bit of inspiration

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone and especially the people who just had surgery.  I'm exactly 4 weeks today from TLHR and for the first time last night I was able to sleep on the operated side with a pillow between my legs.  I've been sleeping on the good side with the pillow but wondered when I would ever be able to sleep on the bad side since I'm not a back sleeper and since surgery sleeping has been so uncomfortable.  I'm so happy that I can sleep on both sides now...it's a wonder what a good night's sleep will do for the psyche...that and taking a shower! I was also so wiped out last nite from a couple of new physical therapy exercises that I was getting a little concerned.  But boy a small step can work wonders! Even though pt can be tough..the more I practice but not push too hard..the stronger I feel.  I hope this helps some of the people right out of surgery since those first few weeks can be worrisome but it does get better!

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi glad ur doing well. I’m 8 days post on my second THR. My first seemed a lot easier. It took me about a month to be able to sleep on the hip the first time. So far I cannot turn onto my good side now as it really bothers my new hip, the thigh area.  Can’t wait to get through this phase. 

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery. 

• Posted

Caren,

So good to hear you are doing well, and it really comes over oinyour post.  As you say, there's nothing like that first post-operation shower.  Small steps forward, with physio exercises, little and often, and sleeping on your side again (I had to wait 2 years to achieve that).

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

Hi Caren

You don't actually need a pillow between your legs when sleeping on operated side. If however you're likely to turn in the night better safe than sorry. Oh yes.....I find that side the most comfortable to sleep as I don't have to worry what the other leg is doing.

Sandra

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.