A different kind of morning anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've seen a lot of discussions about people having high anxiety levels from the minute they wake up, but that's not the case for me. My anxiety has decreased to very low levels in general, however on the occasion that I have to wake up extra early and go somewhere (if I have an earlier shift at work, for example), once I get to where I'm going, I seem to be prone to very high levels of anxiety.

My anxiety problems started when I was at college, and funnily enough I would have to get up very early (for me, at least) to get a train and a bus there. If it was a particularly anxious journey, it would get much easier throughtout the day (and still is the case when it happens now)

To clarify, when I wake up - even when I'm aware that I need to go somewhere - and get ready, I'm never anxious, nor am I once I've started making my way there. It's once I'm there I might have an anxiety attack or at least be close to one.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Additionally, my body (and mind, I guess) seems to prefer going to bed around 3am, and waking up around 11am. My old job allowed me to do this most nights because I never started any earlier than 10am. However I have a new job that I start in a week which has resulted in significantly earlier mornings.

Could it be possible that my body doesn't like those times of day?

I seem to dislike mornings when it's still dark, too. For example, during winter, when the sun rises a lot later, I seem to hate leaving the house before the sky brightens up. I know there are disorders that relate to times of year and stuff, but I don't think the seasonal changes make an awful lot of difference, it's more about the time of day.

Sorry for the essay but if anyone has taken the time to read it and maybe has an idea of what the hell is wrong with me, I'd sincerely appreciate some advice! smile

Brendan

1 like, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

It sounds like you just ned  time to adapt to a different routine. Have you tied  the SADS lamps?

​Alsso may wish to google circadian rhytyms.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No I haven't tried the lamps yet, but I'm unsure that will help because it's not at home that the problem occurs?

As for the circadian rhythm, I just looked it up. I did know a handful of the information already (under the name 'body clock'wink but I'm definitely eager to see if tht has something to do with it, because I have a tendency to go to sleep several hours before or after the night before.

I also use my computer, tv or phone pretty much til the moment I shut my eyes to go to sleep. But what else is there to do? I can't stand reading books and there's not really much to talk about with my family that doesn't involve screens.. I'll see if the time I fall asleep has any affect first! smile

Anyway, thank you for your advice, I'm very curious to see if my circadian rhythm is the culprit! (If not I'll let you know)

Best,

Brendan

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You are welcome. The sads lamps help with depression and by encouraging the production of vitamin D so I am told.

Circadian rhythyms are affected by a different routine such as someone who works nights being unable to sleep on their nights off.

​Computers are bad  at night as you have indicated.

​I did a study on the health hazards associated with computers.

I discovered that interacting with a computer leads to isolation, stress, alienation, increased adrenaline levels, posture problems. Postural stress.

These lead onto depression, anxiety, loss of social interaction etc, etc.

Try cutting down on the amount of time spent on the computer. Try reading a newspaper rather than a book to focus. Try walks instead of sitting at a computer etc, etc. Also the internet can be depressing anyway with bad news popping up every few minutes.

​Good luck.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The thing is I'm a music producer. I make music on my computer like every day. That's what I'll hopefully be studying at uni and it's what I want to do with my life.

I appreciate what you're saying, I really do, but there's no way I can spend less time on my music, I've just switched job so I have more time to do it!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

In that case you need to find a hobby that involves physical activities suchas walking, swimming, non isometric exercises.

​We have relatives in post production and they exercise to make up for the time editing films and programmes prior to transmission.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My old job and my new job both involve a lot of walking and lack computer screens. I don't know if that counts but I also play football? I have no idea what is and what isn't isometric, but I'll probably start doing little jogs in the morning again, too.

Any recommendations of the best activities to do?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Brendan,

Anxiety Disorder is a complicated issue and takes many shapes and forms. I don't believe the medical profession fully understands it...if the available "help " is anything to go by which CBT and meds apart, appears to be non-existant

So it is difficult for we, the sufferers, to make sense of

Along my journey with AD/PD I have realized that many of the problems with recurrent symptoms lies within the memory. And deep seated memories of particularly dreadful bouts of anxiety and panic are difficult to remove from the data the brain stores

Places, times, seasons,  events,even people can trigger a memory and bang, just like that, the Anxiety and Panic can resurface.

Quite why is beyond me but often that Memory Bank can  also be the starting point, for many AD/PD sufferers, to be hurled headfirst into Agoraphobia who fear the symptoms to such a degree that avoidance techniques come into play

I was/am one such victim of that mistake

It is disappointing, almost crushing when symptoms creep back. We have fought the good fight, overcome it, slayed the  Anxiety Beast and yet here it is again

Will it ever lie down and die ?

Yes, it will.

Much of coping/overcoming lies within removing the fear of the symptoms. Because the symptoms have a habit of either creeping back slowly or hitting us hard completely out of the blue

Awful as one might feel during occurences of AD/PD, adding fear into the mix makes things a hundred times worse

But reassuring ourselves takes practice too

Nothing happened to you during previous Anxiety Bouts.

Nothing will happen to you during current Anxiety Bouts

What you feel where the physical symptoms are concerned is awful, truly awful

But they will not kill you

They will not make you lose your mind

They will not linger if you take the fear of them out of the mix

But, if you let them wash over you, let your body relax, find a mantra to say in your head over and over, the symptoms will lose their grip on you and dissipate

Fear  cements the symptoms.

It holds them firmly in place

Losing the fear, calmly riding out the symptoms, is the road to recovery

Don't let this or any other setback suck you back into AD/PD

I send best wishes and encouragement

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello Helen,

It's a true pleasure to see someone who also suffers with this is so strong and capable of spreading techniques and ways out for others.

I definitely agree with the fear concept. I'm slowly realising that myself, I think. Over time, when I do experience anxiety attacks, I seem to be able to shake it a lot quicker. For example, my old boss asked me if I wanted to work early on Christmas eve (which was my last day), so that I could finish earlier and then have the rest of the Christmas period to do what I wanted. Unfortunately, I had to wake up at 6:30 (around the same time as when I was at college, coincidentally), and when I got to work I had the first feeling of unnecessary anxiety I've had in months, maybe even a year (and a damn big one it was too). On a more positive note, though, it did little damage compared to past attacks. I felt it building as I stood behind the till, looking at my boss as she spoke (although not hearing anything she was saying). But after about 2 minutes I would say, I managed to shake it by simply telling myself the usual kind of things:

I'm just at work, I've been here a million times, why am I anxious? Just chill out!

And then it went smile

I have, on the other hand felt considerably higher levels of general anxiety throughout the day since then.

Sorry for going off on a bit of a tangent, just thought the extra detail may help people decide what would be best for me smile

I also emailed a local hypnotherapist last night because, although I seem to be getting there on my own, progress is slow, and I'll hopefully be going to uni in September/October so I can't afford to risk it, being miles away from home and all.

Once again, sorry for the essay and thank you for your help.

Best,

Brendan

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Brendan,

It's interesting that, apart from a momentary blind panic when you didn't know what your boss was saying, you managed to overcome the rising

panic by remaining calm

Interesting too that since that incident your Anxiety levels have risen. But that  too is a common occurence

That too is ignited by fear

Anticipatory Anxiety is all too familiar

One fears its return and one wonders will I be able to cope/overcome it again? Can you see that? Can you see the harm that does?

Overcoming AD/PD is about living in the moment. Yesterday is gone forever so no looking back and worrying it to death. We cannot change the past

But we can take lessons from it

Tomorrow is yet to come and who knows what that will bring?

But whatever it is, we deal with that as and when

So why fear it?

Today is our life as we have it and it is today we must live it as best we can

Those with AD/PD fear they are weak, feel shame at their inability to cope. Fear confiding in loved ones in case they regard us as a burden, in case they take an attitude of "Pull yourself together"

All unnecessary, believe you me

AD/PD sufferers have more courage than those who don't

Day in, day out, week in, week out, month after endless month we carry on regardless

No matter how much AD/PD batters us, no matter how many times it tries to beat us into the ground?

We're still standing

Tall and strong and undefeated and ready to slay the Beast for the millionth time

Those with AD/PD usually have a high intelligence quota.  Ergo they think/analyze things. They also as a rule are truly unselfish, putting others first, reluctant to say "No" to any request.

People pleasers to the cost of their own wellbeing

You and all of us have to take a step back and nurture ourselves if we are to heal. There are times we have to come first as opposed to last, Brendan.

Be good to yourself

You have to be your own doctor/nurse

Plenty of good sleep because AD/PD sucks the energy out of us

Plenty of fluids because it also drains our fluids...dry mouth, anyone, with anxiety?

Food is our fuel

Little and often. No eating on the run. Sit and chew food thoroughly.

No fizzy drinks, pop, no coffee/caffeine overload

Replace those with hot chamomile tea....what a difference that makes! I can attest to that

And then we have this Forum smile

A refuge

A place to come, to share and help each other. A place where the members truly understand because they too suffer. But they too support, encourage and reach out to each other

Thus the loneliness/ the feeling of helplessness is eradicated because this is our place

This Forum is the best medecine we will ever have, Brendan

There is a lady, Lisa, on this site who once said to me, What's the worst that can happen?

That was the lifebelt she threw me when I was drowning

That is my mantra

There's Bob too, ever ready to help despite his own difficulties

There are many, many wonderful people on the Forum, too numerous to mention, but each a blessing in their own right

We learn from each other, Brendan

Knowledge is power

I send hugs

Helen

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up