A few panic attacks/near attacks in past couple of weeks - this normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, 

I seem to be posting on here more often than I'd like to lately but just had a question: 

In Feb, I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, about 2 weeks later I lost my dad and a few weeks ago returned to work. The night before I was due back in work, I had some palpitations and was exhausted the next day so didn't return til the day after. 

A week ago, I had some palpitations which led to a full-blown panic attack with breathing probs, fuzzy head, difficulty getting my words out and just a general sense of dread. It passed in about 35 minutes.

I had an appointment with Heart and Chest hospital on Tuesday, during which we agreed a date for my ablation in June, something myself and my wife are really pleased about as it could really help us get back to normal.

Anyway, the point of my question - last night, I woke up about 5:10am to pee. Came back to bed and my heart was racing, ever-so-slightly (nothing major) but suddenly started having a weird sense of panic, like I couldn't take full breaths. I stayed lying down with my eyes closed, trying to take my mind off it but started getting weird sensations in my arms and legs. After about 45 minutes, I must've fallen back asleep and woke up just before my alarm.

My question is, is it normal for these things to just come out of the blue, when otherwise you feel perfectly fine? I could understand it happening a week or so ago as I was fairly apprehensive after going back to work and about my afib. But since my appointment on Tuesday, I'd been feeling quite positive.

Thanks in advance all!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Most definitely normal, it WILL pass. Your gona need to be easier onyourself and take some steps to reduce your anxieties
    • Posted

I certainly hope so. I can see many people on here are much worse off than myself but it really does affect your whole day, even days.. after an attack. Thought I was back on track after getting over the last.

Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

With Afib the symptoms do tend to mock those of anxiety, It causes fast heart beats 

So along with your anxiety I feel like your AFIB is causing some fast heart beats like palpitations and then you are immeditaly panicking maybe without even knowing about it, because when you panic that's what happens to your heart also, so it's your body just thinking you're having a panic attack, it's a way of coping with the fear!

Don't worry about it, know that your heart palpitations could be caused by both your heart or your anxiety, but whatever happens that like the sense of panic and dread and breathing problems are all your anxiety.

I get heart palpitations and notice that my head goes funny when i ge them like a dizzy rush so that's normal, but because they are so similar to a panic attack your body is just thinking that's what it is x

• Posted

Also, I just remembered that for a few days I've been having a sort of dull ache on and off in my arms. Mainly left arm and a tingling, almost numbness in my index finger. Again, this is on and off. In assuming these AREN'T symptoms of panic attacks.

I appear to have slight carpal tunnel in my thumb and index finger of my right hand. Had that for abut 4 months, so hoping it's just that on the left side now too.

• Posted

numbness tingling and aching arms are VERY common symptoms of anxiety 

trust me I get them all the time 

• Posted

That is good to know. I haven't been overly worrying about it but glad to find out its a symptom! Thanks Live!

• Posted

Hey dav the tingling and numbness is also very normal effects of anxiety smile

Things will get better buddy trust me. I've been there. I've been free for almost a year smile

• Posted

Thanks again Dave, glad to know you've experienced this but are free of it all for so long. Fingers crossed it passes for me too! Positive thinking haha.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.