A few pre op preparation tips

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had an anterior repair (cystocele) 10 months ago and posterior (enterocele and rectocele) repair with perineal reinforcement 4 weeks ago. Thought I would share some thoughts on some small preparations that are useful to make life easier during recovery, keeping in mind the ‘don’t lift and don’t bend’ mantra.

Upper body strength – boosting this in the months before surgery was very helpful to me. Moving yourself up on the bed without dragging or getting out of bed without wobbling is easier if you have some muscle tone, and you can rely less on your abdominal and pelvic muscles. I kept it very simple, sitting on a big Swss ball,just using 2kg hand weights and doing bicep curls, some alternating lifts and tricep extention. (All on YouTube) I did it in the gym but you can easily do it at home without any equipment – sitting on a chair and using tins or filled small water bottles. 

Preparing your living space for your new restrictions. Bit like childproofing your house when a baby becomes mobile, walking around and actively looking for problem areas.

Bathroom: everything at reachable height, so maybe lifting those shampoo/wash bottles off the corner floor of the shower unit. Into a net bag if putting a small corner shelf is difficult. Anti-slip strips on base of shower or bath – I went for this option as rubber mats need airing and cleaning. Buying a small step for resting feet, if you don’t have one already, to ease those scary early BMs.

Medication: I was given antibiotics and lactulose on discharge but in addition used: a stool softener (I am using Dulcoease – note not the similarly packaged laxative Dulcolax ), Fybogel ,gaviscon, ibroprufen, paracetamol, an antihistamine to avoid sneezing terror moments. Also toilet moist wipes.

Bedroom: a V pillow for back support and another spare pillow for under the knees. Look at your wardrobe and drawers and, if necessary, move underwear, nightwear and clothes to  an easy height. If you put summer/winter wardrobes away and will be recovering  across seasons think a couple of months ahead and remember that you are not going to want to be scrabbling into under bed storage or above wardrobes for quite a while

Stairs: I found a long handled cotton shoulder bag, across my body, very useful for transporting small things like a book or tablet up and down, whilst leaving my hands entirely free for the bannister etc,

Kitchen: my cordless kettle is quite adaptable to tipping over just enough to pour without lifting. I fill it to about 2 cups worth with the aid of a small jug. Altenatively a travel kettle is a lightweight solution .If the milk lives in ground level  fridge door get a helper to put a small jug on a higher shelf.

Technology: I use a slightly dim smartphone, a laptop and a tablet. My iPad mini has been great during this time as it is light and with a screen large enough to watch tv and films/message friends/obsessively scour website for pelvic repair info et rolleyes if you don’t already have one, there are some cheap ones on the market now that are adequate for this sort of purpose.  Whether phone or tablet, invest in some extra chargers for use up and downstairs,  with longer leads. You don’t want to be bending down to pull out a charger , and a longer length means you can leave it draped at a level  convenient to you - bed, sofa etc.

Get a good trim on your hair and a (no varnish) pedicure.

Any tips to add ? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

OOops, not sure how those smileys got in there and I don't seem to be able to edit !
  • Posted

There's a lot of information on the Pinned Post on the Genitourinary home page.
    • Posted

Indeed, and very useful it is. I did take a look there before posting this , which is not meant as a medical resource but as a few ideas borne out of experience about the practicalities of recovering at home.
  • Posted

I also did a big shop pre op  and thorough clean.  I was unable to bend down pre op due to severity of uterine prolapse and did organise clothes so as not to bend but had no problems bending after surgery.  I bought ready meals for days when no-one else cooked for me.  I already had a mini fridge and kettle upstairs and kept snacks as well in my room so I could manage food and drinks without going downstairs.  When I started doing the washing again, I used a large supermarket "bag for life" rather than heavier laundry basket and carried the wet washing in several lots to hang up.  When I had a helper I got them to carry things up and down stairs.  Beware if you have a large built in fridge - they are very heavy to open and I couldn't open mine for the first few weeks.  Neither could I open my stiff front door and had to hand keys out of the window to visitors if I was on my own.  Stock up on books, crosswords, DVDs or whatever other hobbies you enjoy.  Once cooking again, pour smaller amounts of water into a pan instead of fiilling all at once and use a slotted spoon to remove pasta etc rather than trying to carry a heavy pan to the sink to drain.  Buy cleaning wipes for a quick clean of bathroom or kitchen.  Lots of these things depend on how much help you have at home! 
    • Posted

Ah, yes - I did a bit of a Spring Clean ( was actually Spring! ) then tried to persuade myself to notice things I could not deal with. 
    • Posted

Darn, NOT to notice. 
  • Posted

"don't lift, don't bend".... I need to keep telling myself the 'bend' bit of this! I am 12 days post op for a rectocele repair - stitches only, no mesh, and I am resting ok ( so I thought) , but keep forgetting the bending rule! We are having a new kitchen put in starting Monday and yesterday I sat on the sofa just wrapping a few glasses in bubble wrap.... and putting them into a box on the floor.... but the bleeding increased, so I obviously need to stop, and really rest... NO bending ... none... nada.... I will keep your mantra in my head from now on! rolleyes ..... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.