A friend has scared me

Posted , 11 users are following.

So I am 3 days past my gallbladder operation so far I am on but have not eaten much.

So my friend came over today and said to me you do know you are at a higher risk of colon cancer because you have had your gallbladder removed and you have fatty liver.

I feel like crying.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My mum had hers out in her 30s and was never told this issue, she has bowel disorders which run in the family and sees a bowel specalist and they have never said this either, she is in her 60s now, both cousins also had theirs out too and havent been told this either?
    • Posted

Hi

My daughter wasn't told any of it either until she collapsed and ended up back in A&E

Everyone is different so not one person will be the same some have not a single issue and others are sadly really suffering. Pain vomiting food going straight through.

Drs say when this happens you have to stop dairy, she has also gone free from as digesting is difficult due to trying to break fatty food down. Yes you can add bile supplements but you can also slowly re introduce dairy after a few months once the body has settled down.

• Posted

I am sorry, does  your daughter has colon cancer? caused by gallbladder removal? If so i am so sorry as that is what I was responding too with this comment. If so I wish her well and hope she recovers sad

• Posted

my mum and cousins were never told theire was a increase in cancer due to removal and neither has her specalist ever mentioned it.
    • Posted

Hi sorry no she doesn't have cancer, what I meant was no one told us of the dietary changes that need to happen to help you recover & the surgeon confirmed there is no added risk to cancer after the gallbladder removal, only issues can be pancreatic issues hence why you have to be careful with the diet.

sadly people seem to like to always scare others with risk factors but the facts are with or without the gallbladder the risks are just the same really.

but eating a good diet can help with recovery and eliminate the pain.

sorry about the confusion it makes me cross when people deliberately scare others when there is no need to.

My daughter is really struggling after her surgery and is very low but she has been in a bad way for 3 years and is only 20 now so a lot to deal with at a young age.

She will get there 

• Posted

Hi, Carol,

I hope your daughter is doing better.  She has been through so much at a young age!  Especially the callous behavior of the doctors and staff at the previous A&E.  I hope that you are still planning to take action with regard to that...even a letter of complaint might result in some well-deserved consequences.

I am sorry to learn that she is struggling; but you are there for her, and she will learn from this that she can be "there" for herself!

Please continue to post and keep us up to date! xx  

• Posted

Hi Lynda

She is having a horribly tough time of it all, one day good next terrible.

But fingers crossed day at a time she will get there.

Its the pain that debilitates her so much, so we focus on everything we can to avoid it.

Once we are through the worse of this I will be taking things further, but we are lucky that we can make it to another A&E department who have treated her amazingly well, thank goodness.

thank you Lynda x

• Posted

Hi, Carol,

It is tough on one so young.  But she has a very, very good mother!  smile

• Posted

I hope your daughter gets well soon sad I wish her a speedy recovery. I am terrified of the operation and havent even seen the specalist yet, but despite having to cut most foods out as my main symptoms with gallstones have been IBS and GERD, my diet is so limited to avoid symptoms I have lost 13kg and working with a naturopath , I am still getting more symptoms, pain, aches and GERD increasing, so loosing more and more food groups! With 4 kids and a manual job, its hard work. I am hoping the operation doesnt make me worse!

• Posted

Thank you.

You will be better off having the operation, just remember don't over do it after the op take it easy & get some rest. The body has to recover on the inside as well as outside & the outside heals so fast in comparison.

I think the issue is after being poorly so long everyone thinks having the op & they will be instantly better but it's the recovery period as well that we have to remember.

You will get there day at a time, just look after yourself x

• Posted

Also if you can tolerate healthy fats, eat them, healthy fats are essential for health. I will still consume them along with enzymes and bile salts. My mum didnt changer her diet at all, neither do my cousins or father in law.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.