A message for Laura Dora

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi Laura

Firstly l want to take back my apologie for writing my experience on my 2nd TKR. Firstly l don't think you know how the forum works. Its not all rainbows and unicorns. People come on to share there story of what is going on with them. I don't appriciate being told l should not write my experience with my 2nd TKR. I am not 5 years old and l am not gonna lie about being in pain.

I am sure a lot of people will agree with me on, we should share our experience good or bad. You don't know me so you have no right telling me off for telling the truth. I was in agony for a few days even with heavy medication. Anyone that tells you a TKR is pain free must be lying or dors not feel pain. I have been on this forum for years and am a 6? because l know how to give advice and take it. I am 44 years old and have had every joint replaced in past 3 years. I have had to give up work. My full life has changed. I accept that. But l was upset at you telling me off for telling the truth. I am sure the regulars will agree.....l hope. I have physio that l will need to start soon. I have a car l can't drive. Oh and l have also had an ankle fusion. The fact you never even responded to my aplologie hurt. As l said l just lost my mum a few months ago and am still grieving. So Laura l would have a look at some of the posts they are not all happy stories. I have gave posative feedback on my hip replacements as they were brilliant. So please never speak a word to me as you cant even acknowlege my apologie. Which now l wish l had never gave.

6 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry you've had a rough time of it I have never responded to your message because l haven't been able to get on line untill tonight. My Grandaughter has just lost a baby so l had more important things on my mind in helping her with her children You've been very unlucky & l wish you all the best in the future. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Laura but l think you will find we have all stuff going on in our life that affect us.

I just felt you made me look like a fool saying there was 8 of us in a room and not one of us were crying out in pain. What a laugh it was you said.

Well l was in a room of my own and had lost my mum a month or so before. I even had a morphine pump in but it was fine in hospital it was not until l got home 3 days later that the pain kicked in. From what l remember from my 1st TKR l was in pain in the hospital as they had to give me a shot of morphine above the morphine pump. But they say not any operations are the same and l can confirm this with my hips

They were totally diffrent but the best thing l have had done as the OA pain was awful.

Thank you to everyone thst agreed with me. I just hate been spoke to as if l dont know what l am talking about when people don't know my full story. I also went through IVF twice and on the 3rd time fell pregnant. But sadly lost the baby at 7 weeks. This is going back to when l was 38. Now it possibly happened for a reason as l got OA when l was 40 to 41 and l now have had to give up my job as a bank manager. Infact l lost who l was. My husband is now my carer but l am still determined l want to work even 2 to 3 days a week. I want normality. My husbañd and l used to go 2 holidays a year and enjoyed walking. I was quite a fit normal woman. That is long gone and l just hope one day l get it back even for a few years.

Thanks for your support

X

• Posted

I re read your post and I don't think there is any need to apologise . You were telling of your experience , everyone has a different experience with tkr . I imaging very few have a really easy time . It's better to go for the op knowing it may not be a piece of cake . We read very few posts from people who had an easy time , but most of us get there in the end , with hard work and patience . Coming up to 20 years since my first and it is still ok.

• Posted

Thanks David and l hope mine last 20 years thats brilliant long may it continue. 👍👍

• Posted

Totally agree with you I have wrote on here about the pain I've been in sorry to hear how you were spoken to like my physio lady said everyone heals different I'm 14weeks tomorrow and still in pain with a tightness band feeling and very stiff knee I still take my pain killers and still ice. I hope you start to heal soon but take no notice you will get there in the end

• Posted

I had better not tell my story! I have in excess of 20 operations on my knees. I am 5 weeks out of a TKR and really really struggling. Im currently wishing I never had it done. I read ALL the posts. The good and the bad. The good give me hope and the bad let’s me realise I am not alone. 
    • Posted

I think most wish they had never had a tkr at some time during recovery . I did with my second when my whole leg turned black . We get over it and as recovery improves appreciate the benefits , and can look forward to many years of pain free knees .
    • Posted

Thank you. I know you are right. Just feeling negative at moment. I’m stuck at 45 degree bend which is so frustrating. I know I will be pleased in time. Just need to be patient. 
    • Posted

Hey Victoria... yesterday was the start of my week 5 as well.  All your comments are so near and dear to my "travels".   May I ask your circumstances?   I am 60.  Had my surgery in Toronto Ontario, which is an 1.5 hour drive away. I had to wait 9 months .... in my town it was a 2 year wait....All of my siblings both older and younger are waiting for TKR but have put it off.  I hate that I'm struggling so much.  Because of course they are watching closely..... and I'm not feeling like a good mentor!  I am also close to retirement but was considering going back to work.  My work is quite physical and my shifts are 12 hours.  So at this point not seeing any silver linings..... I am grateful for the posts from those who did suffer these same feelings of tightness and pain and now months later are coming along.  AS SHALL WE,   RIGHT !! PLease keep in touch as we seem to be in a similar space.   Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Tomins, hello to you. I’m 41 and from England. I’ve had so many problems with this knee, I’ve waited about 5 years for this operation as keep getting told too young. 

How are you finding recovery? I seem to have the pain under control. It’s just the lack of bend I’m struggling with.  I have 45 degree bend at 5 weeks. Physio feels I will need MUA which is really worrying me! I will keep trying.  I’m lucky that I am not due back to work until Early Jan. 

Keep going. I’m sure we will get there. 

• Posted

Hi Lors, I did not see any other posts so don't know what transpired, but I know this forum has been great when I have gone through various illness and surgeries - there is always someone here who helps and encourages. Sometimes opinions differ, but we can only tell our authentic story as we see and feel it. 

Knee surgery is not the easiest process to go through, I'm sure we can all agree on that, though there are a few lucky ones who sail through, most experience some challenges, some more than others. I know my own TKR recovery has been a real roller coaster. I hope you feel better soon. So sorry you lost your mum and your life has changed. Take care.

• Posted

I wish I would have read your post but unfortunately I didn’t . I can tell that you were having a bad time. First I must say I am very happy for the people who get through this surgery with little problems, however I wish I had heard a little more from the ones who don’t. I fall into that category. I probably would have had it anyway because my pain was so bad. I had suffered from osteoarthritis in both knees for many years. I am 70 now and had the right knee done 5 months ago. To me this is a nightmare. I don’t sleep, it is 1:21 am now, my whole body aches still and I just realized that I am going to have to do the left one soon as it started to cause terrible pain. It was okay for awhile and I was hoping that it would be awhile before I had to have it done. I don’t know the situation but I can tell you never apologize for writing your feelings, that’s what this forum is all about. I am new to it but I cannot tell you how many people have given me hope when I needed it. If I am uncomfortable about someone ‘s writing I simply stop and go on to the next one. So again this surgery is horrendous and I just keep going along each day hoping it will get better. My appointment next week with Doc May turn out to be he just gives me a shot but I doubt it. I’m sure I will have to start this nightmare all over again. Thank God I only have 2 knees lol. I hope you feel better. I hope it starts to change for you, hang in there. You have youth on your side.😘

• Posted

Lors23,  I'm an RN in San Diego, I work in critical care. I have posted several times here and this forum has helped me immensely. I didn't describe adequately the pain I endured after both of my knee replacements (total). Pain us a lot of things, relative, subjective, etc. It's the etc. part that is a kicker. Anyone can tell you that following posts and links provided by ChicoMarx is a Revelation ?? and so super helpful to most of us here with joint replacements. I would say that enduring the pain,  and sleeplessness, and border line depression,  (ETC.) was a killer for me. I'm an expert at keeping patients in a sedative alive state with multiple medications and paralytics when needed for some neuro patients. Be that as it may the shi# that I endured was grueling ??. Are there others who do well with just ibuprofen and ice exist?Sure, but not to often in this reality and experience. Endure that's the word for this post op hell that some of us are going through. Totally subjective. I've said it before, I believe that benzos added to the mix were a godsend for me, unfortunately I went overboard accidentally and probably was kept alive by my CPAP and sitting in a reclining rocking chair. My wife who works nights in icu came home and found my cold, cyanotic, and virtually unresponsive. Once she woke me up I was ok. Sooooo, with that said I really believe that carefully included in post op meds that a small dose Xanax is awesome ?? 

• Posted

Hi Zadok, Agree about Chico's posts. Good thing your wife found you that time! I had trouble with the meds, in that they just did not agree with me, either caused vomiting (anti emetics did not seem to help), or BP dropped alarmingly or had stomach pains. Sensitive to codeine for good measure.

?So was mainly on paracetamol and the odd tramadol at night plus ice and rub on gel. I would not recommend this regime - for one thing apart from obvious pain, it did make sleep even less possible and exercising a nightmare. I'm months post op and rarely take anything now. Hope to goodness there is something better in the mix by the time I need any more surgery. It did not help that the GP thought we should not need pain relief after a couple of weeks. They have no clue!

• Posted

Wow! That's too bad. Even on days when I was in a good pain relief groove there was depression at the door and a desire to sleep all the time. Here I deal with the surgeon and when he cut my Oxycodone in half I tried, but just days later I was in his office having a heart to heart, being my own advocate. I see seekers and drug sponges all the time of they c/o pain and it's ordered and their vitals are stable, BAM! They get what they want today, but the day comes when wet taper switch over to psych meds etc. and transfer to a general floor where reality awaits 😬

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.