Posted , 7 users are following.
Popping in to say hi to you all and to wish you a happy new year!!
Some of you might remember ive suffered from anxiety for over ten years. This year was the worst!! But ive learned some REALLY great coping techniques (ive discovered these through my own experiences), that I wanted to share with you all, and they actually work for me, so I thought id pass them along:-
1. BREATHE! This sounds lame but it actually works and can totally avoid an anxiety attack if you catch it quickly. Without even realising, I had been shallow breathing A LOT. And I noticed this was only when I went through anxious periods. When you are in a relaxed state, time what your normal breathing - both in and out- is. As soon as you begin to feel anxious, take note of your breathing and ensure you are getting the deep breaths you normally are. This should calm your body right down before you go into a full on anxious state. If you find that you are already too far into your anxiety to calm your breathing like this, breathe in for four seconds and out for as long as possible. On the sixth breath in, hold your breath for ten seconds. Repeat until your breathing has calmed down.
2. DONT SIGH. I noticed i kept taking big breaths in. This only increases your heart rate. If you find yourself doing this, immediately hold your breath for ten seconds and try the breathing methods as above. Again, this can catch an anxiety attack before it starts.
3. Be in the NOW. Whenever I have felt myself start to drift into anxiety attacks, as soon as I realise I remind myself that I need to not worry about anything else but NOW. Im not having an anxiety attack yet so theres no need to worry about having one and working myself up. I immediately remind myself that I will only get one chance to experience the NOW and no way am I letting an anxiety attack that hasnt even happened yet ruin the NOW for me. This has worked so many times and works in combination with my next tip.
4. DO SOMETHING. I used to avoid a lot of activities because i was worried I would have anxiety outside of the house or because I was in the midst of an anxiety attack already. This is the BIGGEST mistake you can make. Any avoidance on your behalf is going to increade your anxiety ten fold in future because you will continue to avoid. The BEST thing I ever did for my anxiety was to go and do everything I was putting off - being invited places etc. i have been getting out so much and noticing that I was actually fine. You are in effect showing your anxiety who is boss!! Kicking its ass so to speak. Everytime I have done this it has been the BIGGEST confidence boost and every time I swear it kills the anxiety more and more. Even if you dont feel like doing something, do it. You will surprise yourself with how strong you really are!!
5. NEVER GOOGLE. This one is simple :-)
Well thats all from me for now! I hope these tips help at least one person to discover that whilst the beast will probably never be gone, you can learn to live with it without it ruining your life! Much love xx
4 likes, 10 replies