abdomen pain 7 week post rectocele surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello lovely ladies. I'm back at work following surgery doing desk job on reduced hours. Been taking it easy with no problems BUT last few days I have been getting uncomfortable ache in lower abdomen and back on the painkillers again! Resting when home. Is this ache normal? Would love a long soak in the bath but when can I?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello jo jo I can't remember how many weeks post op you are but lower abdominal pain is usually caused by over stretching the pelvic floor muscles. Sitting for long periods is as much of a problem as standing too long. Are you getting the opportunity to walk around much? There's a misconception following this surgery is that going back to a desk job is ok but it's often not the case. Try and rest as much as possible a warm soak in the bath could help as well.
    • Posted

Thanks Matron. I'm just at 7 weeks since surgery. Healing well as far as I can tell. I make sure I walk around the office every hour or so. Feels almost like period pain in front and trapped wind in back passage is only way to explain it. Am I ok to have bubble bath now then?
    • Posted

Yes you'll be ok having a bubble bath. I know the type of pain you describe, it will obviously get better but take something for the pain when you need to preferably an anti inflammatory like ibuprofen.
    • Posted

Hi Matron. Forgot to mention in this post that my abdomen is very swollen and gets worse during the day. I look 6 months pregnant! ! Is this normal ? Thinking of going back to gp but she wasn't much use last time; wanted to do an internal when only 4 weeks post surgery and seemed surprised at having external stitches from vaginally opening to rectum! ! Worried😢
    • Posted

I don't know why you would have a swollen abdomen to be honest and it sounds too swollen to be wind. Do you have any pain or discomfort associated with the swelling?
    • Posted

The wound itself is healing really well but have discomfort in lower pelvis/groin front and back as the day goes on and back on painkillers. Going to toilet regularly so not constipation.
    • Posted

Are you going to have a post op check? I'm just thinking that seeing your consultant is better than your GP
    • Posted

No I didn't get one. Would need to go back to gp again for a referral. Just thought it might be a common problem?
    • Posted

I've known ladies get some abdominal swelling after gynae surgery so it does happen, but your swelling seems large. How long have you had it?
    • Posted

Has got worse since I went back to work 3 week ago. Can fasten trousers in the morning and by the time I go home I need to undo. Will go back to see my gp
    • Posted

I think you should jo jo. I'm sure it's nothing but it's difficult to know because I can't see you, if you know what I mean. Keep in touch 
  • Posted

Hi Jo jo, do you have a footrest at your desk? I moved jobs about 14 weeks post repair and suddenly started getting pain. I finally isolated it to not having a footrest. It just one of those sloping bobbly ones but it takes the pressure off the repair. It's also better when I'm wearing high heels for the same reason. It took me a good few weeks after going back to my desk job to feel completely ok, was just exhausting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.